LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

Honest Expectations of 2011 Season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
If we keep Alex Smith 7-9. If we pick up a veteran QB via trade like Kolb or McNabb 8-8 or 9-7. If we go with Carr and a rookie this year 6-10, possibly 5-11. Of course this is my thinking as of today. Once I know about the status of the CBA, the draft and our free agent pick ups, I'll probably have a more solid prediction. However, my excitement towards the beginning of football season tends to skew any logical prediction I may offer with pure blind optimism that the 49ers will make it to the playoffs.

I agree it all dpends on QB.. if it Kolb,McNab,Palmer or someone like that. Then I get excited. If it status quo... Sorry,I wont bother watching... I have seen the movie before. It always ends bad..

The problem is that I do not see any one of the available veteran QBs taking us to the SuperBowl. I have no doubt that with any one of them the playoffs are a possibility, but not deep into the playoffs. McNabb and Palmer are getting older and I seriously believe Kolb could be found in the draft and is not worth 2 first round picks. I want to see my Niners win, but I would not like the team to be raped in the process losing draft picks for non-elite veteran QBs. I prefer to build through the draft and keep as much draft picks to build a respectable and deep franchise. If this means getting a Veteran QB for not higher than a 5th round pick or biting the bullet and resign Alex Smith in hopes to groom a legitimate QB from our draft class, so be it. Bottom line is, I do not want to give away the franchise for a playoff birth. We are the 49ers and playoff births are unacceptable to me. Moreover, I'm well aware of our drought of a winning season; nevertheless, I am not content with a playoff team ala the Eagles. I want to build a Superbowl team not a band-aid playoff team.
If we keep Alex Smith 7-9. If we pick up a veteran QB via trade like Kolb or McNabb 8-8 or 9-7. If we go with Carr and a rookie this year 6-10, possibly 5-11. Of course this is my thinking as of today. Once I know about the status of the CBA, the draft and our free agent pick ups, I'll probably have a more solid prediction. However, my excitement towards the beginning of football season tends to skew any logical prediction I may offer with pure blind optimism that the 49ers will make it to the playoffs.

I agree it all dpends on QB.. if it Kolb,McNab,Palmer or someone like that. Then I get excited. If it status quo... Sorry,I wont bother watching... I have seen the movie before. It always ends bad..

The problem is that I do not see any one of the available veteran QBs taking us to the SuperBowl. I have no doubt that with any one of them the playoffs are a possibility, but not deep into the playoffs. McNabb and Palmer are getting older and I seriously believe Kolb could be found in the draft and is not worth 2 first round picks. I want to see my Niners win, but I would not like the team to be raped in the process losing draft picks for non-elite veteran QBs. I prefer to build through the draft and keep as much draft picks to build a respectable and deep franchise. If this means getting a Veteran QB for not higher than a 5th round pick or biting the bullet and resign Alex Smith in hopes to groom a legitimate QB from our draft class, so be it. Bottom line is, I do not want to give away the franchise for a playoff birth. We are the 49ers and playoff births are unacceptable to me. Moreover, I'm well aware of our drought of a winning season; nevertheless, I am not content with a playoff team ala the Eagles. I want to build a Superbowl team not a band-aid playoff team.

Bring Alex Back is not improving.. If you want many championships as you say you do... You have to cut the cord now! Alex has proven he can't do the job.. His record speaks of that... I'm all for grooming a QB.. If that what you want,but you don't want a guy being grooming by a Alex with his track record. Plus frankly I'm just tired of watching a season full of promise go up in smoke,because of a postion we continue to ignore.

P.S. What really makes me hate it even more... Is having to watch other teams get Qbs and seeing them improve... Why we are stuck in the same losing postion.. I had to watch a QB we should of taken win a Super Bowl.. Yet you want to tell me I have to watch more of Alex and his 0-5 starts.. I'm sorry,but no thank you!

[ Edited by fakers23 on Feb 8, 2011 at 20:41:08 ]

I agree it all dpends on QB.. if it Kolb,McNab,Palmer or someone like that. Then I get excited. If it status quo... Sorry,I wont bother watching... I have seen the movie before. It oalways ends bad..

If our ol improves just a little then 7-9 8-8 with the same players even alex smith. If we get palmer kolb mcnabb then 9-7 to 10-6.

Since our division plays dal phi nyg pitt bal the overall division title will be won at around 8-8 and the sea is bad on offense and horrible on d.....ariz is bad on d and running game but will improve with a vet qb by 2 games and stl secondary and lbs are horrible and they are bad against the run also their offense is not good at all...checkdowns dont win it.

So we will win the division but like others im not happy with one or two wins in the playoffs but thats where we may be. We all want the sb but unless we have mcnabb we are not legitimate contenders until another qb is above average to good.
Anyone who has any idea what will happen to the 9ers next year is dreaming. How can you predict how many games they will win if we don't even know how many they will play, if any at all? You have no idea who the QB will be, who they will resign, who they will draft, it's all up in the air.

Give it a break and come back in 2 months.
I have said it once. I have said it many times: games are more often lost than won. By that I mean that most games are determined by which team makes the fewest bone-headed mistakes. Even this year's SB was lost by PITT's turnovers. Who would have won if PITT made the same number of turnovers as GB (i. e. zero)?

Look at the 49er's games this year. How many more would we have won if we could have eliminated a few key mistakes?

We need more mistake-free players, and fewer players who screw up too often. Just that alone can make a huge difference in outcome.
I expect a better football experience for almost everyone on the team, associated with the team and who are fans and followers of the team.

It wil just be a more competent and rational system.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I have said it once. I have said it many times: games are more often lost than won. By that I mean that most games are determined by which team makes the fewest bone-headed mistakes. Even this year's SB was lost by PITT's turnovers. Who would have won if PITT made the same number of turnovers as GB (i. e. zero)?

Look at the 49er's games this year. How many more would we have won if we could have eliminated a few key mistakes?

We need more mistake-free players, and fewer players who screw up too often. Just that alone can make a huge difference in outcome.

Originally posted by excelsior:

How you can have this opinion, yet be an Alex Smith supporter is beyond any reasonable comprehension.
More creativity on offence, more pressure on the QB on defence, not beeing burned again and again on the screen, seeing CBs get beaten on simple double moves or pumpfakes.
Quote:

That would make me blissfully happy.

Lettuce be reality, if we go 7-9 or worse next year, half our fanbase will be calling for Harbaugh's head and telling us how Jed York doesn't know what he's doing.
Given the uncertainty WRT next season, it's virtually impossible to predict what will happen. Overall, I feel a lot better about the future now that it's in Harbaugh's hands. But, with a mostly new coaching staff, it'll take them and whatever players who end up on the roster some time to get acquainted, learn new offense/defense. There are a number of other teams facing similar circumstances. BL: it's too soon to tell 'til the CBA issues are finalized, and the draft and FA period happen.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am trying not to have high expectations.

I assume that the team will have problems making the change from one system to another. If this happens, and it does seem logical that it might, I will not be upset--well maybe a little.
Championship!!!! THough I will not commit to what level of championship.
16-0, TheSixthRing's name will finally make sense.
Share 49ersWebzone