There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Shaun Hill because he wins games.

I was going to write; He may throw an occasional duck or two, but he knows how to win games!

He won garbage games for us & didn't go past his first read when he was with us. There were times when he threw the short pass when the man running a deeper route was open. But then again, he knew how to win those games, which alex smith couldn't even do most of the time.
Originally posted by BayStreamin510:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Shaun Hill because he wins games.

I was going to write; He may throw an occasional duck or two, but he knows how to win games!

He won garbage games for us & didn't go past his first read when he was with us. There were times when he threw the short pass when the man running a deeper route was open. But then again, he knew how to win those games, which alex smith couldn't even do most of the time.

Yah true.

But for reals that whole list is garbage.
Stud-Muffin Cody Pickett.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Some of you may not remember how those other guys played, on good to great teams. They had good WRs and lines, and some were behind great QBs who were injured but they still looked really bad.

The 9ers have a history of great QBs, starting with Frankie Albert and YA Tittle. They have not had a great, or even a good, QB since Garcia who was decent. Why bother to hire a coach who understands QBs?

Now that they have one I would expect this to change and for the 9ers to develop QBs again.
The influence of a quality coach is too often overlooked by fans.

As I was reading the MM story about Smith and Harbaugh going out on the field and throwing a ball around, I couldn't help but think about what a unique experience that is for Alex Smith. Here he was actually interacting with, and throwing the ball with, a QB who made a living throwing the football - not being a "game manager" like Dilfer - but actually being a passing QB. There is absolutely no substitute for having a coach who has actually performed the task at a high level to teach a young player how to do it. That is a brand-new experience in the life of Alex Smith.

Better do some research. I do understand the homers think putting on a 49er uniform or coaching attire makes you instantly better. But Jim Harbaugh was nothing but a mediocre, if that QB. You could argue back and forth if he was better than Dilfer or not. Dilfer had a winning record and a slightly lower career rating, Harbaugh had a LOSING record. Both had one great year and made the Pro Bowl. Hargaugh wouldn't make anyone's top 500all time QB list that knows anything about football. You are judging Dilfer solely at the end of his career as a 49er when he was horrible, and making Harbaugh out to be something he isn't.

Harbaugh put together a good team and game plans at Stanford. He has been a good judge of QBs coming out of college. Other than that I agree we are putting our hopes in an unproven guy. He was not a great QB, but a very hard working player who got the most out of his ability. Those are often the guys who make the best coaches. The super stars are rarely able to make the transition. Walsh was a mediocre college player but was driven to understand how to win at football. I hope Harbaugh has the same drive and success. I never mention players like Dilfer because there is no point...is what it is.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 8, 2011 at 19:26:12 ]
LMAO Alex Smith is winning this poll.
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for fakers23.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

A lot of Alex Smith lovers.. They still vote for him in 3 years when the team still losing in his wake..
Steve Bono! How crazy is it that we had Montant/Young and Bono at the same time! I remember when Montana came back from his injury and the Young/Montana QB controversy was in full effect and the announcers were saying how Bono was better than alot of teams starters yet he was our #3 guy. In today's NFL we would have traded Bono for a 1st round pick.
You can tell who all the new niner fans are. They are the one's who voted for Alex Smith. Obviously anyone who saw Bono play could see that he was leaps and bounds better than Smith. But these kiddies have probably never heard of him. What a sad sad state our fan base is in.
Alex Smith...Why? Cause as peo[ple pointed out they would take Elvis or Bozo and i say Look at the talen yeah Bozo was 5-1 as a starter How good would he be if his star player on affense was B Lloyd? I could go out and be 5-1 as a starter if I had guys like J Rice B Jones T Rathman to name a few to throw to all day or hand the ball off to R Craig
Originally posted by Hollywood:
You can tell who all the new niner fans are. They are the one's who voted for Alex Smith. Obviously anyone who saw Bono play could see that he was leaps and bounds better than Smith. But these kiddies have probably never heard of him. What a sad sad state our fan base is in.

Before we get all gooey eyed over the greatness of Bono, look at the stats. Yes, he was my favorite back up (other than Young) but he was not a great QB...decent at best. He played for two teams before the 9ers (Minn & Pit) and after the 9ers went to KC, GB, St. Louis & Carolina. He was usually third string on those teams, rising to second a couple of times mostly due to injury.

Career Stats:

Pass attempts.......1,701
Pass completions.....934
Percentage..............54.9
TD-INT....................62-42
Passing Yards......10,439
QB Rating................75.3

Stats don't always tell the tale but he was working behind some QBs who were mediocre on other teams and couldn't crack the lineup. KC kept Grbac and released Bono when Montana retired. Battled the great Tony Banks for playing time in St Louis!

Edit: His best years, by far, were with the 9ers. Shows how important the organization is.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 9, 2011 at 06:59:47 ]
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

A lot of Alex Smith lovers.. They still vote for him in 3 years when the team still losing in his wake..

dont blame Alex, it was the OL fault
Elvis Grbac. I had the pleasure of watching his best game ever for the 49ers (382 yards, 4TDs) live against the Dolphins in Miami back in 1995. I thought he had the best chance of being a good starting QB. He had one Pro-Bowl year with the Chiefs in 2000.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by dj43:
Some of you may not remember how those other guys played, on good to great teams. They had good WRs and lines, and some were behind great QBs who were injured but they still looked really bad.

The 9ers have a history of great QBs, starting with Frankie Albert and YA Tittle. They have not had a great, or even a good, QB since Garcia who was decent. Why bother to hire a coach who understands QBs?

Now that they have one I would expect this to change and for the 9ers to develop QBs again.
The influence of a quality coach is too often overlooked by fans.

As I was reading the MM story about Smith and Harbaugh going out on the field and throwing a ball around, I couldn't help but think about what a unique experience that is for Alex Smith. Here he was actually interacting with, and throwing the ball with, a QB who made a living throwing the football - not being a "game manager" like Dilfer - but actually being a passing QB. There is absolutely no substitute for having a coach who has actually performed the task at a high level to teach a young player how to do it. That is a brand-new experience in the life of Alex Smith.

Better do some research. I do understand the homers think putting on a 49er uniform or coaching attire makes you instantly better. But Jim Harbaugh was nothing but a mediocre, if that QB. You could argue back and forth if he was better than Dilfer or not. Dilfer had a winning record and a slightly lower career rating, Harbaugh had a LOSING record. Both had one great year and made the Pro Bowl. Hargaugh wouldn't make anyone's top 500all time QB list that knows anything about football. You are judging Dilfer solely at the end of his career as a 49er when he was horrible, and making Harbaugh out to be something he isn't.

Harbaugh put together a good team and game plans at Stanford. He has been a good judge of QBs coming out of college. Other than that I agree we are putting our hopes in an unproven guy. He was not a great QB, but a very hard working player who got the most out of his ability. Those are often the guys who make the best coaches. The super stars are rarely able to make the transition. Walsh was a mediocre college player but was driven to understand how to win at football. I hope Harbaugh has the same drive and success. I never mention players like Dilfer because there is no point...is what it is.
Well said.

It is common that guys with a great work ethic achieve more than those with immense talent but poor work ethic. That is why so very few star players ever achieve success as coaches. They never had to learn the fine details in order to perform. They were able to rely on their physical gifts. That is why guys like Harbaugh and Walsh and Belichick have achieved far more than Bill Russell and Pete Rose and...Mike Singletary.

BECAUSE of what Harbaugh was able to achieve, rather than great natural ability, is why he has been able to develop players as consistently as he has. I am not foolish enough to think that will get him to Canton as a coach, but it is the foundation of what all good coaches are able to do no matter the level of play.
I just read yesterdays' article by Maiocco about his interview with Harbaugh. H. said he is doing his assessment of each player on the roster as well as available FAs, and he will make his evaluations "without outside influences." Does that mean he will not be consulting with the Alex haters?
Grbac is the only QB on that list to make the pro bowl.

Judging from the current poll though, its obvious that Alex Smith has been busy this offseason making sure his family members and girlfriends visit this site to support him. That would explain why he hasn't bothered to try to improve his actual football talent in the past 6 years.