There are 212 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Voted for Smith because I saw all of them play.

Doubtful.

Replace your $5 garage sale TV and stop cracking beers at 5am Sunday morning and you will see different.

Are you talking to me or the other dude?

And I still don't believe he saw all of them play.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Feb 10, 2011 at 19:03:36 ]
Originally posted by BayStreamin510:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Shaun Hill because he wins games.

I was going to write; He may throw an occasional duck or two, but he knows how to win games!

He won garbage games for us & didn't go past his first read when he was with us. There were times when he threw the short pass when the man running a deeper route was open. But then again, he knew how to win those games, which alex smith couldn't even do most of the time.

FAIL.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Doubtful.

Replace your $5 garage sale TV and stop cracking beers at 5am Sunday morning and you will see different.

That comment about the $5 garage sale TV is for anyone who denies Alex Smith's inaccuracy or thinks coaching can fix it. Somehow either their vision is bad or their TV so fuzzy they can't see screen passes flying 8ft high and 90 mph when they get to the receiver, or the one's throw at the shoelaces.

Doubtful.

That comment about the $5 garage sale TV is for anyone who denies Alex Smith's inaccuracy or thinks coaching can fix it. Somehow either their vision is bad or their TV so fuzzy they can't see screen passes flying 8ft high and 90 mph when they get to the receiver, or the one's throw at the shoelaces.

So...you mean Harbaugh? Who commented that one of the things he liked about Smith was his accuracy. As far as having seen all these QBs play...I have shoes older than your grandfather's TV.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 10, 2011 at 20:37:34 ]
Steve Bono he's a proven winner who thrived in the West Coat Offense. On top of that he made the Pro Bowl on season.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for highwayone.
Welcome to the Offseason, where apparently no thread is allowed unless the word "Alex" and "Smith" make an appearance.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Doubtful.

So...you mean Harbaugh? Who commented that one of the things he liked about Smith was his accuracy. As far as having seen all these QBs play...I have shoes older than your grandfather's TV.

Harbaugh was posturing in case we don't land something better and need Alex for a stop gap. If he honestly thinks Alex is accurate, the 49ers are wasting 5 million a year on a coach who is a moron.
  • dj43

Doubtful.

Harbaugh was posturing in case we don't land something better and need Alex for a stop gap. If he honestly thinks Alex is accurate, the 49ers are wasting 5 million a year on a coach who is a moron.
I have no interest in a long smith thread but Bill Walsh proved with Joe Montana that accuracy can be taught. He did the same thing with Young. Both have recalled the many extra hours working on throwing to a precise spot not just at the player. The ball had to hit the lead hand in stride or the play was run again. You can teach accuracy but you have to understand how to do it.
Originally posted by dj43:

Doubtful.

I have no interest in a long smith thread but Bill Walsh proved with Joe Montana that accuracy can be taught. He did the same thing with Young. Both have recalled the many extra hours working on throwing to a precise spot not just at the player. The ball had to hit the lead hand in stride or the play was run again. You can teach accuracy but you have to understand how to do it.

If Harbaugh is posturing he won't be the first; but I don't see a reason for him to posture by saying something that is easily proven incorrect by another coach. He would lose credibility around the league. If Harbaugh wanted to posture he likely would have said something innocuous such as he is much better than fans think.

I really like your example DJ because it demonstrates the inneptitude of our past coaches in not recognizing the need for a good QB coach. The HC being knowledgeable is really key to placing importance on this area. Walsh was quite unique though and I hope Harbaugh can have the same impact.

Doubtful.

That, or maybe you just have no clue what you are talking about. I find it hilarious that you think Harbaugh is a moron after some of the posts you have made.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Accuracy can be taught or practiced to a degree, but you have to have something to work with. We are talking slight improvements. I should have said you can't teach Alex Smith to be accurate because he is a basket case! An example, you could probably train a 200 pound high school athlete that naturally runs 4.7 to run a 4.5 in a year, you aren't going to train a 300 pound lineman who runs a 6.2 to run a 4.5. Bill Walsh was working with Montana and Young to move throws 6 inches, Smith routinely throws short passes off by 3 feet or more. Funny how Harbaugh is an all mighty know all god about NFL quarterbacks when no one is, not even Bill Walsh.
Smith winning this poll is a joke, I ask you, name all the quality opponents he has beaten, it is a pretty short list.
  • dj43
Accuracy can be taught or practiced to a degree, but you have to have something to work with. We are talking slight improvements. I should have said you can't teach Alex Smith to be accurate because he is a basket case!

Tampa Bay fans were saying the same thing about Steve Young before they unloaded him to the 49ers.

The sad truth is, the 49ers have not had a decent QB coach here is 10 years. Until a solid QB coach works with Alex Smith, no one, not you nor I, will know how accurate he can be. Again, the Young/Montana examples are pertinent.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Accuracy can be taught or practiced to a degree, but you have to have something to work with. We are talking slight improvements. I should have said you can't teach Alex Smith to be accurate because he is a basket case!

Tampa Bay fans were saying the same thing about Steve Young before they unloaded him to the 49ers.

The sad truth is, the 49ers have not had a decent QB coach here is 10 years. Until a solid QB coach works with Alex Smith, no one, not you nor I, will know how accurate he can be. Again, the Young/Montana examples are pertinent.

Young went for a 2nd and a 4th plus cash. No one would give that for Smith if he was under contract. Young's issue was not inaccuracy, but poor decisions. He would continually force the ball into heavy coverage, or run before making all his reads. He was always forcing plays, never throwing the ball away when he should.

Doubtful.

Well then you're definitely not talking to me.
Share 49ersWebzone