There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

It's the offseason and we have a long time until the draft and probably FA. A friend of mine posed a question to me that I'm having trouble answering.

For arguments sake if you could bring Joe Montana or Steve Young in the prime of their careers to this current 49er team to take over as our new QB next season whom would you choose?

Taking into account the current personnel of the team, today's NFL and who you think would fair better with today's 49er team not who you believe was the better NFL QB in their respective careers.

After alot of thought I still can't definitevely say which HOF QB I would want to add to this squad. Both were great QBs and had wonderful careers.

Right now I'm leaning toward Steve Young today's NFL requires a mobile QB that can get out of trouble and being able to run the ball yourself is a huge plus in today's game. Young would be a super version of Micael Vick, way more accurate and while a little slower still very deadly with his feet.

Thoughts?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I enjoyed watching Steve play more than Joe, and after their careers ended I preferred Steve the person much better than Joe. I will vote for Steve.
Can't argue with either. Never was lucky enough to watch much of Montana though. Grew up in the Steve Young years, and man I loved watching him play on Sundays. Would have been nice to have been with the team the other 4 super bowls and watch more of Montana on Sundays, but it is nice to see the NFL films. I do consider myself lucky to have watched Young though.

Ah the good old days
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I enjoyed watching Steve play more than Joe, and after their careers ended I preferred Steve the person much better than Joe. I will vote for Steve.
Alex Smith!
Originally posted by BobS:

x8
i dont really remember Joe Montana playing for the Niners. i was about 6 or 7 when he left for KC, so itd be easy for me to say Steve Young, who i grew up watching. to me he was the 49ers QB when i was growing up.

however, being a hardcore, keep up with the team daily Niner fan for 16 years now, ive done alot of research on what i missed in the Montana years. There is a reason Joe is thought of as the best QB in NFL history. he had an intangible quality. leading a comeback came routinely, and when the difficultly and pressure of the playoffs/Super Bowl came up, he stepped his game up to an even higher level. Montana played in 4 Super Bowls. he won all 4, was named MVP in 3, (lead the game winning 2 min. drive with a TD pass to WIN the championship in the one game he DIDNT get MVP), and had a career QB rating in the big game of 127.8 (with no picks), best all time. there will never be another Joe Montana.

Steve Young was great, but Joe Montana was legendary. Young had the better tools, but Montana had the touch, the accuracy, the brains, the cool attitude, and the killer instinct when the games got really important.

IMO its a no brainer pick. if Steve Young didnt win the Super Bowl in 94-95, he wouldnt have been remember the same, both among the fans, and nationally. that season he stepped out of Montanas shadow for the first time, and the fans loved him for good. we lose that game and hed be "that very good Niner QB that just couldnt get it done."

anybody over the age of 35 is going to say Montana regardless because they saw the careers of both, but for the people around my age and younger, go watch some old games. look at some playoff stats and such. its incredible.
Originally posted by Niners99:
i dont really remember Joe Montana playing for the Niners. i was about 6 or 7 when he left for KC, so itd be easy for me to say Steve Young, who i grew up watching. to me he was the 49ers QB when i was growing up.

however, being a hardcore, keep up with the team daily Niner fan for 16 years now, ive done alot of research on what i missed in the Montana years. There is a reason Joe is thought of as the best QB in NFL history. he had an intangible quality. leading a comeback came routinely, and when the difficultly and pressure of the playoffs/Super Bowl came up, he stepped his game up to an even higher level. Montana played in 4 Super Bowls. he won all 4, was named MVP in 3, (lead the game winning 2 min. drive with a TD pass to WIN the championship in the one game he DIDNT get MVP), and had a career QB rating in the big game of 127.8 (with no picks), best all time. there will never be another Joe Montana.

Steve Young was great, but Joe Montana was legendary. Young had the better tools, but Montana had the touch, the accuracy, the brains, the cool attitude, and the killer instinct when the games got really important.

IMO its a no brainer pick. if Steve Young didnt win the Super Bowl in 94-95, he wouldnt have been remember the same, both among the fans, and nationally. that season he stepped out of Montanas shadow for the first time, and the fans loved him for good. we lose that game and hed be "that very good Niner QB that just couldnt get it done."

anybody over the age of 35 is going to say Montana regardless because they saw the careers of both, but for the people around my age and younger, go watch some old games. look at some playoff stats and such. its incredible.

For someone that never really got to see Montana play you pretty much nailed it.
I consider myself lucky to see every game Montana played from December 1982 until he became a Chief, thanks to my trusty old Beta VCR. I was serving in the military from 1/79 until 12/82 so I didn't get to see the 1981 season with the exception of the playoffs and SB16.

From my recollection, Young was never much of a come from behind QB. If the team got down early, he panicked. Anyone else remember the playoff game against the Cowboys in the early 90's when they won their 1st SB under Jimmy Johnson. Young had the classic 'deer in the headlights' look on his face while trying to lead a comeback late in the game. Even Madden commented on it. It's a look that I never saw on Montana's face.
It's a tough one but you cant argue with 4 super bowls. But then again...who knows how young would have been if he was brought along like Joe. He'd definitely have more than one ring IMO. Steve was a little like the Vick of his day. Accurate and pretty athletic. QBs then were still traditional. Drop back and pass etc. Steve could do a little of everything. I think a hybrid west coast play action offense based on steves athletic ability, football iq, and of course, his arm...would have been exteremely tough to beat.

But again...Joe has 4 rings.
Usually this doesn't happen until after the draft...

Almost two decades of some of the best football ever played with the GOAT and two of the most complete QB's of all time. Why can't we just be thankful that we had Joe and Steve... Not to mention all of the other great players we had back then.

Interesting point though, how many current players would walk on to the SB winning teams. Willis for sure, would Gore displace Watters or Craig? Maybe Vernon Davis in for Brent Jones? Apart from that, I don't see the talent we need to take this team deep into the play-offs next year. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good and above average players, but few great players, and fewer difference makers.
4 rings aren't a coincidence.

Montana
Originally posted by 94Niners:
Usually this doesn't happen until after the draft...

Almost two decades of some of the best football ever played with the GOAT and two of the most complete QB's of all time. Why can't we just be thankful that we had Joe and Steve... Not to mention all of the other great players we had back then.

Interesting point though, how many current players would walk on to the SB winning teams. Willis for sure, would Gore displace Watters or Craig? Maybe Vernon Davis in for Brent Jones? Apart from that, I don't see the talent we need to take this team deep into the play-offs next year. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good and above average players, but few great players, and fewer difference makers.

This team has the talent minus the QB to get into the playoffs. To contend in the playoffs we need the QB+ a revamed secondary and improved passrush.

To say not many current 9ers could walk onto the legendary teams is few is correct. However to dismiss the current team because of that fact is wrong. Those were some of the greatest teams in NFL history with many HOF players and otherwise very good/semi-great players.

Willis and VD could def walk onto those teams and start right now. Gore could displace Watters IMO and I think Walsh would have utilized both Gore and Craig in the same backfield, didn't Craig play some FB in his career as well?

Lots of other players could find a place on the team at least as backups like Crabtree/Iupati/Franklin/J.Smith/T.Spikes/A.Lee

I wish there was a way to see what would have happened had Young started with the 9ers and Montana with the Bucs. Would Young have won all those Superbowls?
there are some people that will choose young just because they think the is a better person than montana... but all this talk about montana had greatness and everything around him and that is why he was so good is dumb to say.

montana started on a terrible team and all those players.. and legends and coaches BECAME great together. when jerry rice came.. when ronnie lott came. when craig.. rathman.. taylor.. all those players came.. they where nobodys.. just drafted players.. who knows if they will be good. but they did become good and all those players became great together.. its not like how tom brady was handed one of the best recievers ofa ll time *randy moss*

young was actually handed greatness. he was handed one of the greatest teams of its era... we all saw how he did on a terrible team lol. but look how joe did on a terrible team. in three seasons and i think 1 1/2 starting.. he turned them into super bowl champs... the choice is easy and no argument. its joe.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Originally posted by Niners99:

For someone that never really got to see Montana play you pretty much nailed it.
I consider myself lucky to see every game Montana played from December 1982 until he became a Chief, thanks to my trusty old Beta VCR. I was serving in the military from 1/79 until 12/82 so I didn't get to see the 1981 season with the exception of the playoffs and SB16.

From my recollection, Young was never much of a come from behind QB. If the team got down early, he panicked. Anyone else remember the playoff game against the Cowboys in the early 90's when they won their 1st SB under Jimmy Johnson. Young had the classic 'deer in the headlights' look on his face while trying to lead a comeback late in the game. Even Madden commented on it. It's a look that I never saw on Montana's face.

It was a frequent criticism of pre-Superbowl Young, the deer in the headlights thing. I thought it was a little unfair, but he did have the tendency to tuck the ball under his arm and run rather than waiting for his receivers to get open, particularly, as I have said, pre 94.

Montana was mobile as well but tended to use that to avoid the rush, and only run forwards when there were no options left. Or designed plays of course.

They were both great quarterbacks, but Montana was greater.
Let's see when Joecool was the QB the niners where the most dominant team in the NFL, even without Jerry Rice

Even with Parcell's Giants and Gibbs's Redskins we were the team of the decade.

I like Steve a lot but he was a great QB in a great team that shared the the pie ( getting the smallest part) with the Cowboys and Packers.

So for me is an easy one not only for the team but instead the greatest QB of all time is Joe Montana
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home