There are 299 users in the forums

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Originally posted by BobS:
I enjoyed watching Steve play more than Joe, and after their careers ended I preferred Steve the person much better than Joe. I will vote for Steve.

Steve-o is my all-time favorite 49er, but you gotta go with Joe on this one.

The don't call it 'The Montana Magic' for no reason. His presence lifted his team's confidence and level of play.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Alex Smith!

damn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Young brah.
My fandom prevents me from choosing one. It's like picking your favorite child.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
My fandom prevents me from choosing one. It's like picking your favorite child.

id take young. he was more elusive and his accuracy was ridiculous. also he was the tougher of the two and todays qbs get hit by bigger, faster defenders so i think joe would get hurt more often than steve.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
It's a tough one but you cant argue with 4 super bowls. But then again...who knows how young would have been if he was brought along like Joe. He'd definitely have more than one ring IMO. Steve was a little like the Vick of his day. Accurate and pretty athletic. QBs then were still traditional. Drop back and pass etc. Steve could do a little of everything. I think a hybrid west coast play action offense based on steves athletic ability, football iq, and of course, his arm...would have been exteremely tough to beat.

But again...Joe has 4 rings.

Michael Vick=accurate
I would have to go with Joe. He, along with BW, gave the team an incredibly confident feeling that every game was winnable, home or road, didn't matter. It's tough for people to understand that now. I believe that the team had a better record on the road than at home during Joe's tenure. Joe took a very young team to the SuperBowl with questionable talent and won which is no easy feat.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by msallaz51:
Originally posted by GlenCoffeesNuts:
Young made things happen with his incredible tools such as his quick feet and strong arm. Joe made it happen with magic. My vote is for Joe.

Joe could make reads faster, react quicker and was more accurate. The most impressive thing Joe did was to lead a team of nobodies in '81' to the superbowl. He was later blessed with for talent to win his other 3.

The biggest thing is playing under pressure. Steve was horrible when the game was on the line and the stakes were highest, Joe was at his best. If you look at Steve's biggest wins, the 2 against Dallas in 94 and the SB, at no point was there any doubt, the Niners controlled from the outset so he was loose and played well. now once he won the SB that changed a little, but before he was always tight and threw crucial INTs at the worst time.

Originally posted by TX9R:
Young made things happen with his incredible tools such as his quick feet and strong arm. Joe made it happen with magic. My vote is for Joe.

Joe could make reads faster, react quicker and was more accurate. The most impressive thing Joe did was to lead a team of nobodies in '81' to the superbowl. He was later blessed with for talent to win his other 3.

The biggest thing is playing under pressure. Steve was horrible when the game was on the line and the stakes were highest, Joe was at his best. If you look at Steve's biggest wins, the 2 against Dallas in 94 and the SB, at no point was there any doubt, the Niners controlled from the outset so he was loose and played well. now once he won the SB that changed a little, but before he was always tight and threw crucial INTs at the worst time.

All of this.

Some people, I guess, forget how much Young choked... especially when he first became a starter for the 49ers. Not that he wasn't great, eventually.

Joe Montana was just on a whole other level.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

All of this.

Some people, I guess, forget how much Young choked... especially when he first became a starter for the 49ers. Not that he wasn't great, eventually.

Most people who were there during that transition period would agree. Now over a decade later Young is remembered much more fondly but I can remember thinking in 94, if we don;t beat Dallas this year, they're going to run Steve out of town.
I go with Steve. He's more mobile and with our OL, that's a good thing.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

All of this.

Most people who were there during that transition period would agree. Now over a decade later Young is remembered much more fondly but I can remember thinking in 94, if we don;t beat Dallas this year, they're going to run Steve out of town.

This. But remember, the fans were ready to run Montana out of town in '87 and '88 too ... It was QB carousel in '88 until Montana got healthy and led the team through the playoffs. Of course, he pretty much silenced all critics by winning in '88 and '89. Young's teams couldn't beat Favre's teams or Aikman's teams (save for the one year we bought Deion Sanders in '94 and the "Owens, Owens, Owens!" wild card game in '98) Too many missed opportunities for Young, IMO.

I vote Montana, if only because he threw the prettiest ball I've ever seen - accurate as hell and with touch. With so much emphasis on Cover 2 play now, I think Joe would eat that stuff up, throwing to windows in perfect timing. Besides, Montana won 2 SBs without Rice. He could make legends out of very talented players like Davis and Crabtree ... players with far more athletic ability than anyone Montana played with (excluding the GOAT).
Anyone who votes Young must not have seen Montana play much, if at all.

Montana all the way.
Share 49ersWebzone