Mike Wilson

TE
Brent Jones
Vernon Davis
Eric Johnson
Greg Clark
Russ Francis

QB
Steve Young- don't get me wrong I have Montan rated as the #1 QB of all time. However if I'm putting these guys with our current OL although I think the OL has potential I'm going with Young's scrambling/rushing ability here. Can't go wrong either way as the 9ers have the best QB pedigree of all time

RB
Frank Gore- when all is said and done I think Gore's will make a strong case for greatest 9er back of all time. Where's the Million Dollar Backfield in this discussion?

WR
Jerry Rice-GOAT! John Taylor- very underrated could have been a star if not in Jerry's shadow. f**k TO

FB
Roger Craig- again where's Joe Perry in this discussion?

TE
Vernon Davis- biggest physical freak of all time at the TE position is to tough to resist.

This
Who's the coach, cause if it is Bill, VD and Gore don't start, until they run better routes and show better hands!

Joe
G Hearst
Rathman
B Jones!
Rice
Owens (maybe maybe not JT ran a sweet route and never b***hed about being second to JR, could TO shut his yap and be a #2?)
QB: Montana
RB: Young
FB: Rathman
WR: Rice, Ownes
TE: Vernon

Super Wild Cat FTW!

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Super Wild Cat FTW!

nice.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Super Wild Cat FTW!

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
I like how everyone forgot how much of a beast Fred Beasley was for us.

played with the Niners 8 seasons, same as Rathman, but was twice all-pro at FB. was widely considered the best blocking FB in the NFL for several years.

Fred Beasley is the best FB the Niners have had in the last 30 years, no question. everyone is just saying Rathman because he was there in the glory days.

idk... i just think floyd caught the media wave dont get me wrong he was a great fb in the system. i just think 44 set the standard

everyone is basing their Rathman love on some weird legacy. he scored alot for a FB, but most guys would have in the Walsh system.

People love Rathman because he was an old time 49er. he was a big tough guy who did the dirty work for the WCO scheme. i get that, and i agree Rathman was a great Niner, and a very good player. plus being a coach on the staff so many years has made him more popular.

But if you remember back to the late 90's/early 00's when Fred Beasley was here, he was ELITE. there was a span of time from around 2000-2003 where he was considered the very best at what he did in the NFL. he was a 2 time all-pro. he was a big part of the reason Garrison Hearst was so great for us.

honestly this list of players is an easy one. Its Montana, Gore, Beasley, Rice, Jones no question.

VD can pass up Jones if he keeps up this pace, but 2 years of being a top 5 TE isnt enough for me. VD puts up another couple seasons like he has been, he takes over that spot for sure, but right now its still Jones.

I am going to assume you've never actually seen Rathman play? It had nothing to do with hus TD's! The guy was a BEAST that simply loved to hit people! He is the one that gave the offense that nasty attitude to go along with the Rice/Montana swagger. PLUS he could run and had amazing receiving skills! How many FB's do you see make a one-handed catch on a ball that is thrown behind him? Rathman was actually greatly UNDERAPPRECIATED during his days, because Montana, Rice, Jones, Taylor, and Craig had so much spotlight on them.

Nobody is "forgetting" what a great player Beasley was for us, or Floyd for that matter before his injury. But Tom Rathman is the greatest of all time. You think people like him because he's been a coach for us for awhile? No...
Lots or choices but this is a no brainer for me...........

QB Montana
RB Craig
FB Rathman
WR Rice
WR Taylor
TE Jones
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

QB Montana
RB Craig
FB Rathman
WR Rice
WR Taylor
TE Jones

This. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
QB
Joe Montana

HB
Roger Craig

FB
Tom Rathman

WR
Jerry Rice
Terrell Owens

TE
vernon Davis
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
From these players:

Pick who do you think would be starting out of these players

What offensive scheme am I running?

Is this team supposed to compete against modern day players?

WCO

Yes

QB
Steve Young: IMO, he would fit in better with modern players. I think that teams today would still have to worry about him running with the football.

HB
Frank Gore: In a split backfield with Craig without eight in the box?

FB
Roger Craig: In a split backfield with Gore, lined up weak side. Can flex to slot.

WR
Jerry Rice: Duh.

Terrell Owens: Duh.

TE
Vernon Davis: The seam is going to be open all day for him with all these weapons. Can motion into backfield as fullback when Craig flexes to the slot.

This offense would be unstoppable. It would just beast any defense in the league.
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

QB Montana
RB Craig
FB Rathman
WR Rice
WR Taylor
TE Jones

This. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Exactly! The only position I gave much thought to was RB. I just think Roger Craig was a more complete player than Frank Gore but that is a close call.
Wow, from reading the selections and comments from everyone, you can really see the generation gap between older and newer 49er fans. Being a fan since the mid-'70s, I still don't think I'm that old but apparently I'm an 'older' fan. I've got to go with:

QB - Montana
HB - Craig
FB - Rathman
WR - Rice
WR - Taylor
TE - Jones
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Wow, from reading the selections and comments from everyone, you can really see the generation gap between older and newer 49er fans. Being a fan since the mid-'70s, I still don't think I'm that old but apparently I'm an 'older' fan. I've got to go with:

QB - Montana
HB - Craig
FB - Rathman
WR - Rice
WR - Taylor
TE - Jones

hmmmmm sounds familiar
From these players:

Pick who do you think would be starting out of these players

QB
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Jeff Garcia
John Brodie

HB
Frankie Gore
Garrison Hearst
Roger Craig

FB
Fred Beasley
William Floyd
Tom Rathman
Roger Craig

WR
Jerry Rice
Terrell Owens
Dwight Clark
John Taylor
J.J. Stokes
Mike Wilson

TE
Brent Jones
Vernon Davis
Eric Johnson
Greg Clark
Russ Francis
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
I like how everyone forgot how much of a beast Fred Beasley was for us.

played with the Niners 8 seasons, same as Rathman, but was twice all-pro at FB. was widely considered the best blocking FB in the NFL for several years.

Fred Beasley is the best FB the Niners have had in the last 30 years, no question. everyone is just saying Rathman because he was there in the glory days.

idk... i just think floyd caught the media wave dont get me wrong he was a great fb in the system. i just think 44 set the standard

everyone is basing their Rathman love on some weird legacy. he scored alot for a FB, but most guys would have in the Walsh system.

People love Rathman because he was an old time 49er. he was a big tough guy who did the dirty work for the WCO scheme. i get that, and i agree Rathman was a great Niner, and a very good player. plus being a coach on the staff so many years has made him more popular.

But if you remember back to the late 90's/early 00's when Fred Beasley was here, he was ELITE. there was a span of time from around 2000-2003 where he was considered the very best at what he did in the NFL. he was a 2 time all-pro. he was a big part of the reason Garrison Hearst was so great for us.

honestly this list of players is an easy one. Its Montana, Gore, Beasley, Rice, Jones no question.

VD can pass up Jones if he keeps up this pace, but 2 years of being a top 5 TE isnt enough for me. VD puts up another couple seasons like he has been, he takes over that spot for sure, but right now its still Jones.

I am going to assume you've never actually seen Rathman play? It had nothing to do with hus TD's! The guy was a BEAST that simply loved to hit people! He is the one that gave the offense that nasty attitude to go along with the Rice/Montana swagger. PLUS he could run and had amazing receiving skills! How many FB's do you see make a one-handed catch on a ball that is thrown behind him? Rathman was actually greatly UNDERAPPRECIATED during his days, because Montana, Rice, Jones, Taylor, and Craig had so much spotlight on them.

Nobody is "forgetting" what a great player Beasley was for us, or Floyd for that matter before his injury. But Tom Rathman is the greatest of all time. You think people like him because he's been a coach for us for awhile? No...

IMO he probably never saw rathman play and is basing his argument off of what he saw while he was growing up, i barely saw rathman play but he was an animal and to ignore offensive stats is just ludicrous.