There are 287 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
1. Mike Johnson ain't here no more. That throws a lot of your Mike Johnson numbers out the windy.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 in games started by Alex. I'm not cherry picking any one period of his career. Just giving the full info. 19-31.

3. He is INJURY PRONE. Injured in '05, most all of '07, ALL of '08, some of '10. Cannot be relied upon to play all 16 as he has done that once in 6 years.

4. The main argument for Alex is he NEEDS OC CONTINUITY. Well, then why did he REGRESS his 2nd year with Raye? Also, if he needs this continuity, he WILL struggle in '11 to pick up the system. Your basically throwing away '11 so that Alex 'might' get it in '12 .

5. He's Captain Checkdown. He does not read defenses. He looks at one guy and if it's not there, he checks it down. This is why Gore is often our leading WR.

6. He's not a natural leader. Players responded a lot more to Troy than Alex. A lot of the locker room does not like Alex and does not play hard for him.

You make some damn good points. But would you have him as a backup?

I wouldn't mind him as a backup, but he's already proven he will never be the franchise QB we need. It's time to find that guy. If Alex is willing to play a backup role, then by all means, stay.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
1. Mike Johnson ain't here no more. That throws a lot of your Mike Johnson numbers out the windy.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 in games started by Alex. I'm not cherry picking any one period of his career. Just giving the full info. 19-31.

3. He is INJURY PRONE. Injured in '05, most all of '07, ALL of '08, some of '10. Cannot be relied upon to play all 16 as he has done that once in 6 years.

4. The main argument for Alex is he NEEDS OC CONTINUITY. Well, then why did he REGRESS his 2nd year with Raye? Also, if he needs this continuity, he WILL struggle in '11 to pick up the system. Your basically throwing away '11 so that Alex 'might' get it in '12 .

5. He's Captain Checkdown. He does not read defenses. He looks at one guy and if it's not there, he checks it down. This is why Gore is often our leading WR.

6. He's not a natural leader. Players responded a lot more to Troy than Alex. A lot of the locker room does not like Alex and does not play hard for him.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup, but he's already proven he will never be the franchise QB we need. It's time to find that guy. If Alex is willing to play a backup role, then by all means, stay.

Originally posted by whatawegot:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
i have an idea to all the posters after my previous post and this current one.

you're gone because harbaugh might bring smith back? See ya

well then there you have it. the true niner smith homer coming out of the closet. To even post something like this tells me your love addiction for the most overrated qb ever. Let me ask you something. I know this may be difficult for you and your addiction to the name smith but wouldnt you rather see a scrub at qb than have alex back at the helm. I gues the analogy would be your wife cheated on you, you found out and decided to get back together because its best for the kids and you would save some divorce court dollars and the aggravation of finding another gold digging, wife cheating women would be to much to bear. A little deep but what do you expect for late night post.

Or it might just be that I'm not real fond of you as a poster but you can think what you want, I dont really care. I already said I dont care if hes back or not but if Harbaugh likes him an thinks he can coach him up then I'm fine with that too. And no, I would rather not see any old scrub. Would I like a QB better than Smith? Sure. But if we dont get one I'd rather see him out there than a worse player. We can always draft a rookie to sit behind him and learn anyway.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Alex Smith is the top FA QB. We obviously need a QB and can't sign anyone until a CBA is done, other than Alex.

Top Free Agent QB!? LOL are you kidding me?????

This incredulous portion being your reply and not something I said (& editing out the rest of my post)...yes. Who would you argue is the top available FA QB?

[ Edited by mug0mug on Jan 28, 2011 at 01:51:11 ]
Originally posted by boast:
not a lot of options out there at QB if the lockout lingers. this is a smart move by Jim.

People don't seem to realize this. Alex Smith isn't a good QB, he's average at best, but when David Carr is the only guy you have under contract, you have to consider the possibility of not being able to land the QB you want due to the CBA issues.

This is probably a "just in case" move by Harbaugh.

well then there you have it. the true niner smith homer coming out of the closet. To even post something like this tells me your love addiction for the most overrated qb ever. Let me ask you something. I know this may be difficult for you and your addiction to the name smith but wouldnt you rather see a scrub at qb than have alex back at the helm. I gues the analogy would be your wife cheated on you, you found out and decided to get back together because its best for the kids and you would save some divorce court dollars and the aggravation of finding another gold digging, wife cheating women would be to much to bear. A little deep but what do you expect for late night post.

Or it might just be that I'm not real fond of you as a poster but you can think what you want, I dont really care. I already said I dont care if hes back or not but if Harbaugh likes him an thinks he can coach him up then I'm fine with that too. And no, I would rather not see any old scrub. Would I like a QB better than Smith? Sure. But if we dont get one I'd rather see him out there than a worse player. We can always draft a rookie to sit behind him and learn anyway.

well your not fond of me, oh well. I may lose sleep over this but i will take a zanex after this post. Your did save yourself in my eyes so congratulations. The fact that you said youd rather have someone else besides smith was admirable.. I personally would rather have trent dilfer come out of retirement or troy smith than to have alex smith back at qb. If harbaugh says hes cool with him coming back that is a slap in the faces to every niner fan. The past is the past. Harbaugh will not have this scrub back on this team. Heard of the term saving face. If im a coach, lockout or not smith is not on my team. PERIOD>
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I disagree. It's important for the healing process of this franchise to move on. The sooner we admit our mistake in drafting him, cut our ties, and start fresh, the better.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
This is going to be a long offseason.

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Sims84:

Originally posted by calniners408:

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

Well, you are wrong actually because Norv Turner left prior to the 2007 season in which we had Hostler take over the OC duties. Alex never saw the field in 2008 with Martz as the OC. Sullivan and Hill played instead of him, take that for what it's worth

Yeah, he was wrong... Martz was the OC in 2008, not 2007.

To avoid further confusion, you should have mentioned that Alex Smith was also on IR during the entire 2008 season.

Yes, you can put that in there AFTER you say he was already beat out in Training camp and Pre-season by O'Sullivan.

He was placed on IR on September 10th when the season started after the off-season (where the position battles are won and lost).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Smith

Quote:
Smith entered training camp competing for the starting quarterback job with Shaun Hill, who won both of the games he started in 2007, before suffering a back injury against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan. Smith would be learning under a fourth different offensive coordinator in four seasons; Jim Hostler was fired and replaced by former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator and St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator/head coach Mike Martz. Unlike the previous three seasons, where offensive continuity was somewhat maintained, Martz's system was completely different. Smith was announced as the second-string quarterback for the 49ers' initial preseason game against the Oakland Raiders on August 8, behind O'Sullivan, who was elevated to starting quarterback, partly due to his familiarity with Martz's offense when he was a member of the Detroit Lions. Smith threw five of nine for 51 yards. He again started as the second-string quarterback in an August 16 preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, which the 49ers won 34-6. O'Sullivan was named the starting quarterback against the Chicago Bears on August 21 in the third preseason game, where he performed extremely well, throwing 7 of 8 passes for 156 yards and a touchdown. Smith threw 6 of 17 for 83 yards and a touchdown.

On August 22, 49ers head coach Mike Nolan announced[14] that O'Sullivan, who had competed with Smith and Hill, would replace Smith as the 49ers' first-string quarterback for Week 1 of the 2008 season. This decision led former NFL coach Jim Mora to call Smith a "bust," an opinion seemingly shared by the large majority of 49ers fans, and argue that the 49ers should not have drafted him as the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.[15]

On September 10, the 49ers placed Smith on injured reserve after Dr. James Andrews confirmed the team's diagnosis of a broken bone in his shoulder,[16] believed to have been caused by a wire left in his shoulder from the previous surgery, which had sawed through the bone.[17] Regardless, the 49ers' general manager, Scot McCloughan, said that the 49ers expected to release Smith before the 2009 season, when they would owe him a salary of $9,625,000

[ Edited by Sims84 on Jan 28, 2011 at 02:09:36 ]

well your not fond of me, oh well. I may lose sleep over this but i will take a zanex after this post. Your did save yourself in my eyes so congratulations. The fact that you said youd rather have someone else besides smith was admirable.. I personally would rather have trent dilfer come out of retirement or troy smith than to have alex smith back at qb. If harbaugh says hes cool with him coming back that is a slap in the faces to every niner fan. The past is the past. Harbaugh will not have this scrub back on this team. Heard of the term saving face. If im a coach, lockout or not smith is not on my team. PERIOD>

See I know you hate him, but if he's the best we can do then that's pretty much that IMO. If we are able to do better, then great that's awesome. If we can get Kolb or Orton or a guy like that then sweet. Maybe Hasselbeck. But not Trent Dilfer the 2nd coming or carr or someone like that. Hope you enjoy that zanex

See I know you hate him, but if he's the best we can do then that's pretty much that IMO. If we are able to do better, then great that's awesome. If we can get Kolb or Orton or a guy like that then sweet. Maybe Hasselbeck. But not Trent Dilfer the 2nd coming or carr or someone like that. Hope you enjoy that zanex

thanks buddy. im going to bed. Im taking the full strip after this alex conversation. Glad to have the heated discussion. I thought my by sandiego niner would be backing me on my post, but considering he just posted a topic stating smith is his qb over another backup or draftted qb that shoots down that theory. im adding another 1 mg to the night.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
If Harbaugh thinks he might be able to make him better than I'll trust Harbaugh.

I'm glad you got such blind support for Harbaugh,but I don't. No amount of coaching going to turn turd into gold. Just ask the last 2 coaches who tried..

Yeah a guy who is an offense genius and a former NFL QB or Mike Nolan and Sing? Yeah who am I going to trust? I think I'll go with the guy who worked with Walsh and played the most important position.

Former NFL QB who was at about the same level as Alex Smith, sub standard, losing record as a starter and 1st round bust. He basically has no NFL coaching experience.
Trusting anything he does makes no sense, but go right ahead.
Originally posted by eac49er23:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by calniners408:
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz.
You must be new. According to Mike Martz, Alex had progressed to the point in PS that he was ready to take over the job from JT the week he re-injured his shoulder.

LOL wut? Do you not recall Martz ripping Alex a new one on the sideline in that preseason game vs. GB?

This is entirely new to just about everyone. I'd like to see some proof of this so called quote from Martz. Til then, I'm calling buls**t on it.

In any case, (and even if JTO was Martz's pick for the QB position) it doesn't matter. JTO won the starting job by playing pretty well in the preseason that year. Alex played terribly.

Hill was the player who was never given a fair shake with the 49ers...he's always been the best QB on our roster.

um do you not recall that he shoulder was still messed up?

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about...so bye.

dj, I'll try to look up that quote in a bit as soon as I finish studying...could be that I'm mistaken but I honestly don't remember any sort of praise post-injury (esp from Martz). I think most people thought he was done with the 49ers at that point as well.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by fakers23:
If Harbaugh thinks he might be able to make him better than I'll trust Harbaugh.

I'm glad you got such blind support for Harbaugh,but I don't. No amount of coaching going to turn turd into gold. Just ask the last 2 coaches who tried..

Yeah a guy who is an offense genius and a former NFL QB or Mike Nolan and Sing? Yeah who am I going to trust? I think I'll go with the guy who worked with Walsh and played the most important position.

Former NFL QB who was at about the same level as Alex Smith, sub standard, losing record as a starter and 1st round bust. He basically has no NFL coaching experience.
Trusting anything he does makes no sense, but go right ahead.

He's also a great judge of talent dude. He had Romo, an UDFA rated higher than Joey Harrington. Same with Garrard(4th rounder). He recruited Andrew Luck and then turned him into the best QB in the ncaa. IMO the guy knows QBs. I'll trust him. He also spent a ton of time with Walsh.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
6 years of losing and off target passes. No more Alex Smith.

Its all his fault!!!!

You really want to try the Alex Smith thing one more time? After watching Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Matt Ryan, Flaaco, Cassel, Bradford, Romo, Vick, list goes on and on...you really think we're going to compete with Alex as our starter? We also played better competition in the first 1/4 of the season. Lets factor that in. He's not the answer dude, that's that. NOONE in the entire league is scared of him. You think anyone has ever missed 12 seconds of sleep worrying about how Alex is going to pick them apart? the idea is laughable. He's just not it.

The dude would resign for a reasonable salary and showed potential and everyone is high on Harbaughs ability to develop a QB. What is the harm in resigning him and I am not saying hand him the job but of the 3 QBs he is the one to keep. Bring in a vet or 2 to compete, draft a rookie to groom, and if Harbaugh names him the starter because he feels Smith is the best Qb on the roster you should support him and these numbers are to show you that's he can be a productive QB. I don't want to hear boos after he throws his first incompletion. No body can play well under that kind of pressure if you mess up at all for a second thousands of people will boo you. The fact hes been able to be so productive with such negative fans is unreal.

Choose your words carefully. To say that Alex's production has been "unreal" is ....well... unreal. The kid's had some adversity, didn't do very well in overcoming it. He can be a top 5 backup QB in the league. But that's it. There has been nothing "unreal" about his production, regardless of the boos.
Share 49ersWebzone