There are 278 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Doubt it happens but if it does, he will not be handed the job. Matter of fact, he will not be handed the job anywhere he goes. He will have to work for it and I am sure he will be on a short leash.

Also, the Niner front office is probably not banking on a huge year next season with the looming lockout. None of the players will be able to learn the offense prior to a new cba deal. Not sure how Alex would fit into this but maybe Harbaugh working to get Alex the playbook before the offseason.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
If Harbaugh thinks he might be able to make him better than I'll trust Harbaugh.

I'm glad you got such blind support for Harbaugh,but I don't. No amount of coaching going to turn turd into gold. Just ask the last 2 coaches who tried..

lol nolan and sing? they ruined alex more than helped him

Really. I didn't know Mike told Alex to fumble the ball when an Eagle defender wasn't 5 feet from him or tell him to throw high almost killing his wideouts each drive.

they hurt his growth and destroyed his confidrence who drafts a qqb without an o line or WR then waits for 5 years before getting a decent WR target and o line not to mention the fact that he has had a different OC every year

tell me name 1 good qb in league now that has had more than 2 OC let alone 6 in 6 years

Don't feel like getting into "in depth" research mode but just to answer your question, Jay Cutler has had at least 3. Broncos from 2006-2008, Bears in 2009 (Rob Turner I believe) Mike Martz in 2010)

It is definitely not the norm but it has happened

Kordell Stewart had 5 OC's I believe and he is comparable to Alex at this point. It has been proven that instability at OC hurts the development of a QB. Alex has some physical skills that I like but I'm not willing to hand the job to him if he decides to stay unless there is a prolonged lockout and Harbaugh is unable to find a suitable QB that knows the system better.

martx never coached alex and under norc he had 16 tds in 2nd year not bad for a qb with best WR was what arnaz battle and kwame was ur star T

Alex had Antonio Bryant to throw to that season, which of course, left and became a Pro Bowler

Originally posted by calniners408:

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

Well, you are wrong actually because Norv Turner left prior to the 2007 season in which we had Hostler take over the OC duties. Alex never saw the field in 2008 with Martz as the OC. Sullivan and Hill played instead of him, take that for what it's worth

Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by backontop:
If Harbaugh decides to bring him back then so be it.

Harbaugh knows QBs better than all of the Webzone combined. That is, of course, unless Montana or Young are hiding around here somewhere.

This.

As much as I personally don't think it's the best idea to bring him back, the fact that Harbaugh is working with him right now says something. It doesn't say that he is coming back but what it does say is that Harbaugh is putting in the work to see what he can do with his coaching and tips.

It shows that Harbaugh is not willing to just rely on the film to make his decision and then see him in person and see that he isn't what he thought (bad or good). So instead of "hitching his wagon" per say, he is doing the proper work to prepare for the best and worst case scenario so come draft day, he'll have a much better idea on where to go
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
if this happens
I think Harbaugh understands that Alex Smith never received the coaching that was necessary for him to successful at the pro level. Alex was a project coming out of college and was never given the guidance he needed to become a true NFL QB. He has been learning on the fly so to speak.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:

Originally posted by calniners408:

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

Well, you are wrong actually because Norv Turner left prior to the 2007 season in which we had Hostler take over the OC duties. Alex never saw the field in 2008 with Martz as the OC. Sullivan and Hill played instead of him, take that for what it's worth

Yeah, he was wrong... Martz was the OC in 2008, not 2007.

To avoid further confusion, you should have mentioned that Alex Smith was also on IR during the entire 2008 season.

Originally posted by brucesf49:
Doubt it happens but if it does, he will not be handed the job. Matter of fact, he will not be handed the job anywhere he goes. He will have to work for it and I am sure he will be on a short leash.

Also, the Niner front office is probably not banking on a huge year next season with the looming lockout. None of the players will be able to learn the offense prior to a new cba deal. Not sure how Alex would fit into this but maybe Harbaugh working to get Alex the playbook before the offseason.

Most likely. Plus Smith was in WcO his rookie season so he should be farmiliar with some of the terms. Harbaugh probably wants him to start working on this stuff since he might not be able to get a new QB or time to put in an offense under a new QB.
can a poster be banned for uttering the word alex and smith in the same sentence. I mean r u serious? Pull another topic out of the pie hole please. Im done with this name along with dingleberry. Cant you zoners move on and quit living in the past. SMITH IS DONE. Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. New era, new coaching staff. BE DONE WITH IT.

[ Edited by whatawegot on Jan 28, 2011 at 00:51:54 ]
Why should you support Alex Smith as your starting QB if Harbaugh selects him!

If you think like me, then you believe our passing offense will be more productive, our QBs will throw the ball better, and our offense overall will be better and put up way better numbers(130% more productive) with Harbaugh at the helm than it was with Johnson, and WAY better than Raye.

If you think like me, then you believe a QB needs an entire off season learning a playbook to perform at maximum capacity and an offense should perform better with a full off season practicing the plays they will actually be running versus installing a new offense 3 games into the year. There is a learning curve.

I believe Alex Smith will be back and he will play well. I also dont think he played as bad as the media made him look. Anyways here are some numbers that support why I think Smith deserves one last shot.

Alex Smith finished with a 82.4 QB rating in 2010. Not horrible by any means. Good for 22nd in the league. For this post I broke Smiths season down into 3 parts. The first 3 games with Raye. The first 4 games with Johnson as OC while the team was learning new plays. And the last 4 games he played in.

The 1st 3 games with Jimmy Raye calling the plays the offense was predictable and easily one of the worst many of us have ever seen. Smiths numbers were horrible.

1st 3 games with Raye
72/119 60% 732 Yards 2 TDs 5 INTs 66.2 QB Rating

The following 4 games before Smith was benched in favor of Troy, Smith started to put up decent numbers as the team started learning the new offense before Singletary started to crumble under pressure and hit the panic button to start to Troy Smith era. I also think Smith got hurt in the Carolina game but I dont recall exactly. His numbers were decent.

1st 4 games with Johnson as OC
71/123 57% 822 yards 7 TDs 4 INTs 83.45 QB Rating

Now for the last 4 games of the season, well lets just say if all you could do was look at the QB rating there wouldnt be any arguments on this subject.

Last 4 games with Johnson as OC
61/100 61% 816 yards 5 TDs 1 INTs 99.41 QB Rating

This was the year Alex Smith started to blossom this year after we got rid of Jimmy Raye. If you disclude the games with Raye as coordinator his stats would have looked like this.

Season with Johnson as OC
132/223 59% 1638 yards 12 TDs 5 INTs 90.6 QB rating

A 90.6 QB rating would have been good for 6th in NFL right above Joe Flacco at 90.0. Take those last 8 games of stats and double them to see what his stats could have looked like with a full season of Mike Johnson calling the plays.

What Smiths stats could have looked like with a full season with Johnson as OC
264/446 59% 3276 yards 24 TDs 10 INTs 90.6 Rating

Not only that, in the redzone, the smallest part of the field to work with, he had the best QB rating in the NFL at 124.4. The only other 2 that were close were Peyton Manning at 105.9 and Drew Brees at 92.3. To me, this shows me he is capable run a west coast system and make good decisions because a west coast system emphasizes short quick passes and run after the catch. If Crabtree and Ginn don't drop the ball his numbers would have been even better.

Ive been an avid supporter of Smith, and I've taken the time to break down these stats and calculate Qb ratings using http://brucey.net/nflab/statistics/qb_rating.html to try and show you why you should too.

Do you still want Smith gone after seeing these numbers? How could you give up now after hes finally starting to turn the corner? Weve waited this long, are we really going to throw in the towel and let another team pick him up and reap the benefits of 6 years of our suffering? How dissapointed would you be if we released him and he won a Super Bowl or even just made the Pro Bowl? Whats the harm in resigning him and giving him an opportunity to compete for the job?

A lot of fans need to open their eyes, eliminate emotion, and look at this situation more rationally.

(Dear Mods - I would like to post this as its own topic since I put so much time into it but understand there are enough Alex Smith threads out there. However I do not think there has been one as analytical of the numbers as mine, and people need to see these numbers before blindly hating him and running him out of town. If you will allow it please message me or move it to its own post and title it "The Numbers Say Stay, Why Do The Fans Say GO". Thank you)
Alex is INACCURATE!!! It doesnt matter if he has the best offensive gameplan, receivers, coaches and line: You cannot succeed if you throw off target and high.

Why should you support Alex Smith as your starting QB if Harbaugh selects him!

If you think like me, then you believe our passing offense will be more productive, our QBs will throw the ball better, and our offense overall will be better and put up way better numbers(130% more productive) with Harbaugh at the helm than it was with Johnson, and WAY better than Raye.

If you think like me, then you believe a QB needs an entire off season learning a playbook to perform at maximum capacity and an offense should perform better with a full off season practicing the plays they will actually be running versus installing a new offense 3 games into the year. There is a learning curve.

I believe Alex Smith will be back and he will play well. I also dont think he played as bad as the media made him look. Anyways here are some numbers that support why I think Smith deserves one last shot.

Alex Smith finished with a 82.4 QB rating in 2010. Not horrible by any means. Good for 22nd in the league. For this post I broke Smiths season down into 3 parts. The first 3 games with Raye. The first 4 games with Johnson as OC while the team was learning new plays. And the last 4 games he played in.

The 1st 3 games with Jimmy Raye calling the plays the offense was predictable and easily one of the worst many of us have ever seen. Smiths numbers were horrible.

1st 3 games with Raye
72/119 60% 732 Yards 2 TDs 5 INTs 66.2 QB Rating

The following 4 games before Smith was benched in favor of Troy, Smith started to put up decent numbers as the team started learning the new offense before Singletary started to crumble under pressure and hit the panic button to start to Troy Smith era. I also think Smith got hurt in the Carolina game but I dont recall exactly. His numbers were decent.

1st 4 games with Johnson as OC
71/123 57% 822 yards 7 TDs 4 INTs 83.45 QB Rating

Now for the last 4 games of the season, well lets just say if all you could do was look at the QB rating there wouldnt be any arguments on this subject.

Last 4 games with Johnson as OC
61/100 61% 816 yards 5 TDs 1 INTs 99.41 QB Rating

This was the year Alex Smith started to blossom this year after we got rid of Jimmy Raye. If you disclude the games with Raye as coordinator his stats would have looked like this.

Season with Johnson as OC
132/223 59% 1638 yards 12 TDs 5 INTs 90.6 QB rating

A 90.6 QB rating would have been good for 6th in NFL right above Joe Flacco at 90.0. Take those last 8 games of stats and double them to see what his stats could have looked like with a full season of Mike Johnson calling the plays.

What Smiths stats could have looked like with a full season with Johnson as OC
264/446 59% 3276 yards 24 TDs 10 INTs 90.6 Rating

Not only that, in the redzone, the smallest part of the field to work with, he had the best QB rating in the NFL at 124.4. The only other 2 that were close were Peyton Manning at 105.9 and Drew Brees at 92.3. To me, this shows me he is capable run a west coast system and make good decisions because a west coast system emphasizes short quick passes and run after the catch. If Crabtree and Ginn don't drop the ball his numbers would have been even better.

Ive been an avid supporter of Smith, and I've taken the time to break down these stats and calculate Qb ratings using http://brucey.net/nflab/statistics/qb_rating.html to try and show you why you should too.

Do you still want Smith gone after seeing these numbers? How could you give up now after hes finally starting to turn the corner? Weve waited this long, are we really going to throw in the towel and let another team pick him up and reap the benefits of 6 years of our suffering? How dissapointed would you be if we released him and he won a Super Bowl or even just made the Pro Bowl? Whats the harm in resigning him and giving him an opportunity to compete for the job?

A lot of fans need to open their eyes, eliminate emotion, and look at this situation more rationally.

In light of these numbers, would you support him if he stays?

(Dear Mods - I decided to post this as its own topic since I put so much time into it but I understand there are enough Alex Smith threads out there. However I do not think there has been one as analytical of the numbers as mine, and people need to see these numbers before blindly hating him and running him out of town. If this was an inappropriate topic please delete and I'm sorry in advance. Thank you)
HOW CAN SOME OF YOU STILL WANT HIM ON THE TEAM!?!?!?!?!?!?! 6 YEARS OF LOSING WASN"T ENOUGH!?
6 years of losing and off target passes. No more Alex Smith.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
HOW CAN SOME OF YOU STILL WANT HIM ON THE TEAM!?!?!?!?!?!?! 6 YEARS OF LOSING WASN"T ENOUGH!?

Dude, not many people/not anyone is saying "OMG BRING HIM BAK!!!!11111!!!11!". What people are saying is that IF HARBAUGH BRINGS HIM BAcK then they will support him.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Alex is INACCURATE!!! It doesnt matter if he has the best offensive gameplan, receivers, coaches and line: You cannot succeed if you throw off target and high.

Yeah but Harbaugh is the first coach he's had that will be able to help him with his mechanics and going through his progressions. I'm not saying I want us to bring him back for sure, but if he does then it has potential to turn out better than it did in the past with him.
Share 49ersWebzone