There are 200 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Also the argument about inconsistencies.

What about Matt Ryan coming in his 1st year?
Sam Bradford?

There is no consistency as a first year as everything is new.

They were rookies coming into one of the worst teams in the league and already showed major signs of improvement for those teams. If I recall, both those teams had a dismal Oline too.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by calniners408:
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz. I don't want to see the guy fail, but he's just not good for the franchise and the fans. When you get booed before you even attempt a throw, it's time to leave. He'll never succeed here in SF when you have your own fans booing you constantly. His confidence is shot here. Even when he is allowed a little bit of freedom, he still utilizes the checkdown receiver 80% of the time. He is totally predictable.

Oakland parted ways with Russell, Arizona parted ways with Leinart, Cleveland parted ways with Quinn, Tennessee might part ways with VY, it is time for the Niners organization to wake up and part ways with Smith. I would think Smith would want a fresh start too.

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 27, 2011 at 21:47:03 ]
Thank god no one is crying about getting Kolb the guy hasnt done anything in the NFL and everyone is all over his nuts. Alex smith is going to get better, he has the potential to be a 100.00 Passer rating QB. 6 interceptions last year were balls that bounced off Gore/Crabtrees hands, and one where anthony davis let the guy fly by and blind side Alex. (see eagles game last play) Without those 6 picks, he would be well over 100.
Originally posted by iBelieveInALEX:
Thank god no one is crying about getting Kolb the guy hasnt done anything in the NFL and everyone is all over his nuts. Alex smith is going to get better, he has the potential to be a 100.00 Passer rating QB. 6 interceptions last year were balls that bounced off Gore/Crabtrees hands, and one where anthony davis let the guy fly by and blind side Alex. (see eagles game last play) Without those 6 picks, he would be well over 100.

lmao... sorry,but that's the funniest thing i ever heard... I knew Alex fans had blind faith,but 100.00 Passer rating.
Originally posted by fan49:
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz. I don't want to see the guy fail, but he's just not good for the franchise and the fans. When you get booed before you even attempt a throw, it's time to leave. He'll never succeed here in SF when you have your own fans booing you constantly. His confidence is shot here. Even when he is allowed a little bit of freedom, he still utilizes the checkdown receiver 80% of the time. He is totally predictable.

Oakland parted ways with Russell, Arizona parted ways with Leinart, Cleveland parted ways with Quinn, Tennessee might part ways with VY, it is time for the Niners organization to wake up and part ways with Smith. I would think Smith would want a fresh start too.

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

And then came back and went 0-3?
Also the year we went 8-8, Don't forget that Shawn Hill won 3 of those 8 games meaning Alex went 5-6 that year.

Face it. Alex can be a mediocre QB at best. Time to move on.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by fakers23:
If Harbaugh thinks he might be able to make him better than I'll trust Harbaugh.

I'm glad you got such blind support for Harbaugh,but I don't. No amount of coaching going to turn turd into gold. Just ask the last 2 coaches who tried..

Yeah a guy who is an offense genius and a former NFL QB or Mike Nolan and Sing? Yeah who am I going to trust? I think I'll go with the guy who worked with Walsh and played the most important position.
^^^^^
  • fan49
  • Veteran

And then came back and went 0-3?
Also the year we went 8-8, Don't forget that Shawn Hill won 3 of those 8 games meaning Alex went 5-6 that year.

Face it. Alex can be a mediocre QB at best. Time to move on.

also the years your talking about now are the s**ttiest offensive coordinators weve ever had... im not commenting on smith just your comment
Naww, JH is just a professional. A meeting, some nice words, that is all. His offense relies on ACCURACY from the QB, it's at the top of his list of talents/traits his QB MUST have to make the O go.

Sound like AS to you?

Can't wait to see who is going to huck the ball this year!

NINERS!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
He's not the future, he may play a few games here and there IF he is brought back. I don't mind that we wouldnt have to give up picks just to keep him

• dj43
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz.
You must be new. According to Mike Martz, Alex had progressed to the point in PS that he was ready to take over the job from JT the week he re-injured his shoulder.

with mccarthy smith was a 21 yr old rookie coming out of the spread playing on a disgustingly garbage team from top to bottom, with turner you saw progress and with martz he was injured. not backing up smith but no one couldve done anything if they were drafted by the 9ers as a qb in 05. if teams want to learn on how not to screw up a young qb they need to read up on the alex smith chronicles co written by mike nolan and mike dingletary

[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Jan 27, 2011 at 22:08:14 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
If Harbaugh thinks he might be able to make him better than I'll trust Harbaugh.

I'm glad you got such blind support for Harbaugh,but I don't. No amount of coaching going to turn turd into gold. Just ask the last 2 coaches who tried..

lol nolan and sing? they ruined alex more than helped him

Really. I didn't know Mike told Alex to fumble the ball when an Eagle defender wasn't 5 feet from him or tell him to throw high almost killing his wideouts each drive.

asinine comment is asinine.

Why because it true... Norv and Martz couldn't get Alex to be above average. What makes you think Harbaugh will be able to do any different. What is he going to wish upon a star and poof Alex will be good?

actually, Alex was starting to excel in Norv's offense before Norv flew to coop to SD.

With proper coaching and development IMO he can do it. But do we want to wait 2 more years? Alex needs 2 years in the same system to get it. And here we go again. I don't count NoWin and Dingleberry because they have no clue how to develop QB's.

Alex could actually be a bargain stop-gap or #2 QB. no one is saying or asking Alex to take us to the Super Bowl.
Harbaugh is a bright guy. If Alex can be the stop gap (or #1) he will save the team a draft choice for another stop gap who would be no better. Hence, JH is going to be absolutely certain about whether Smith can be the guy or not before he gives Baalke the green light to go shopping for another stop gap.

It is interesting that the most vocal guy in this thread is also the same guy who thinks the Harbaugh hire was bad. Connect the dots and you will find a troll.
Originally posted by dj43:
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz.
You must be new. According to Mike Martz, Alex had progressed to the point in PS that he was ready to take over the job from JT the week he re-injured his shoulder.

LOL wut? Do you not recall Martz ripping Alex a new one on the sideline in that preseason game vs. GB?

This is entirely new to just about everyone. I'd like to see some proof of this so called quote from Martz. Til then, I'm calling buls**t on it.

In any case, (and even if JTO was Martz's pick for the QB position) it doesn't matter. JTO won the starting job by playing pretty well in the preseason that year. Alex played terribly.

Hill was the player who was never given a fair shake with the 49ers...he's always been the best QB on our roster.
You know Alex Smith had an 82.4 QB rating this year and threw a buttload of ints the first few games when Raye was coordinator. BUT does anyone know how to calculate Qb ratings and if you do I would really like to know his rating with Mike Johnson as coordinator, and you take that number and add a few to it and thats what Smiths rating would have probably looked like if Harbaugh was coach this year lol.

But seriously, who knows Smiths QB rating after Raye was fired? Please

Mods, I would have posted this as a question in a post, but figured youd give me another warning.
Share 49ersWebzone