There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Now with the staff shaping up, who are those guys we must retain on the roster

RB

Gore A
Dixon C (great role player, need to dance less)

TE

Davis A+
Walker B+ (we need to keep him)
Nate/HB C+ (great for our new scheme)

WR

Crabtree A-
Morgan B-
Ginn/KR C+ (great KR, bring speed, we need him)
Zigler C
Williams/KR D+

OL

Staley A-
Iupati A
Bass B
Chilo C
Davis B (potential look good at the end like the pick)

----------------------------------
DT

Sopoaga B
J. Smith A
Franklin B+

LB

Willis A+
Spikes B
Manny B- (no passrush)
Harleson C+
Brooks B- (inconsistent passrush)
LaBoy B (consistant passrush)
Bowman B- (good potential - inexperienced)

CB

Nate B (great in nickel - reconstruct the contract - hope he stays)
Spencer C+
Brown C

S

Dashawn B- (solid)
Mays C+ (potential - he has to show me he can get better)
Smith C+ (potential - not so physical)
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,476
Originally posted by skynet907:
Alex Smith

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Keep Manny Lawson and cut Harralson (or let him walk, whatever his contract situation looks like).

Franchise Aubrayo Franklin (if available) or draft replacement in first two rounds.

Sign Troy Smith as a cost-efficient stop-gap.

Sign Travis LaBoy, because he's the only guy who can consistently get to the QB from the OLB position.

Troy Smith could be a cost efficient clip board holder but we already have one in Carr. All QB's named Smith must go.

That's right.

I know that it's real "in" to bag on Carr, but of the three we had last year, Carr was the best. Just was never given the opportunity to show it. Not saying he's the answer, just better than the other two . . . not at all hard to do.

Alex Smith for all the excuses thrown up for him, NEVER posted numbers equal to Carr's in his best year. Numbers never tell the whole story, but Carr has better QB instincts. That's why of the three, Carr will be the only one on the roster this year (hopefully third string). The other two are hopeless.

The second biggest laugh I got this morning was reading where someone wrote that Manny Lawson was a "great player" with "freaky athleticism"
Frankly he's neither. Especially not the first!
What's so difficult about understanding what Baalke said? He just does not fit the bill as an OLB, especially in the 3-4.
Goodbye Manny. Best of luck being the back-up on your next team.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
David Carr MUST be on this team.

HA! I'd rather see Andy Lee at the helm than David Carr. That guy's a freaking joke. No way we should have lost to the panthers...
Nobody likes Ginn? I dont know if anyone noticed, but last year we didn't lose any punts to fumbles because of him! In previous years special teams have killed us, but now gives us remarkable improvement!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 33,459
Originally posted by LBCniner:
Nobody likes Ginn? I dont know if anyone noticed, but last year we didn't lose any punts to fumbles because of him! In previous years special teams have killed us, but now gives us remarkable improvement!

I'm big supporter of keeping Ginn, I agree with you hes been real solid for us on special teams. Which is why I hope we cut Kyle Williams and save us a roster spot.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LBCniner:
Nobody likes Ginn? I dont know if anyone noticed, but last year we didn't lose any punts to fumbles because of him! In previous years special teams have killed us, but now gives us remarkable improvement!

I'm big supporter of keeping Ginn, I agree with you hes been real solid for us on special teams. Which is why I hope we cut Kyle Williams and save us a roster spot.

I agree, Kyle williams seems like he could be a good special teamer too, but with ginn beastin it, I dont know if he can hang.
Originally posted by servegmo:
RB

Gore A
Dixon C (great role player, need to dance less)

TE

Davis A+
Walker B+ (we need to keep him)
Nate/HB C+ (great for our new scheme)

WR

Crabtree A-
Morgan B-
Ginn/KR C+ (great KR, bring speed, we need him)
Zigler C
Williams/KR D+

OL

Staley A-
Iupati A
Bass B
Chilo C
Davis B (potential look good at the end like the pick)

----------------------------------
DT

Sopoaga B
J. Smith A
Franklin B+

LB

Willis A+
Spikes B
Manny B- (no passrush)
Harleson C+
Brooks B- (inconsistent passrush)
LaBoy B (consistant passrush)
Bowman B- (good potential - inexperienced)

CB

Nate B (great in nickel - reconstruct the contract - hope he stays)
Spencer C+
Brown C

S

Dashawn B- (solid)
Mays C+ (potential - he has to show me he can get better)
Smith C+ (potential - not so physical)

Great effort and a good idea to grade out the players.

My own two cents/comments:

If Gore is an A, how is Davis an A+? Gore is closer to being an A than Davis is an A+. Doesn't A+ mean the total package and probable HOFer? Davis is not. He cannot make the difficult catch with consistency; not a clutch go-to guy IMO. And he sure cannot be projected as a HOFer at this point.

You are inconsistent with your grading also. Sometimes you grade on potential (Iupati) and sometimes not (Williams). How can you say Williams is a D+, when, because of injury, we haven't been able to see what he brings? He might be a D, but right now we just don't know. Likewise, Iupati may be an A, but right now he isn't. here I'm assuming that an "A" is pro-bowl or near pro-bowl.

It's all opinion, of course, but IMO Bynam is as good as Walker as a package. Similarly, Spencer is at least as good as Celements.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Keep Manny Lawson and cut Harralson (or let him walk, whatever his contract situation looks like).

Franchise Aubrayo Franklin (if available) or draft replacement in first two rounds.

Sign Troy Smith as a cost-efficient stop-gap.

Sign Travis LaBoy, because he's the only guy who can consistently get to the QB from the OLB position.

Troy Smith could be a cost efficient clip board holder but we already have one in Carr. All QB's named Smith must go.

That's right.

I know that it's real "in" to bag on Carr, but of the three we had last year, Carr was the best. Just was never given the opportunity to show it. Not saying he's the answer, just better than the other two . . . not at all hard to do.

Alex Smith for all the excuses thrown up for him, NEVER posted numbers equal to Carr's in his best year. Numbers never tell the whole story, but Carr has better QB instincts. That's why of the three, Carr will be the only one on the roster this year (hopefully third string). The other two are hopeless.

The second biggest laugh I got this morning was reading where someone wrote that Manny Lawson was a "great player" with "freaky athleticism"
Frankly he's neither. Especially not the first!
What's so difficult about understanding what Baalke said? He just does not fit the bill as an OLB, especially in the 3-4.
Goodbye Manny. Best of luck being the back-up on your next team.

This is the most retarded post I have seen in a long while, thanks for the laugh. Carr was the worst QB on the team last year, and I am even including Nate Davis, man you are completely clueless.
QB: NONE

HB: Gore, Westbrook

FB: Byham

TE: Davis, Walker

WR: Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn (PR/KR)

T: Staley, Davis

G: Iupati, Snyder, Wragge

C: Heitmann, Baas

DT: Franklin

DE: Smith, McDonald

OLB: Lawson, LaBoy, Brooks

MLB: Willis, Spikes, Bowman

CB: Clements (as a #2 or maybe convert to S) ; not high on anyone else..

S: T.Mays ; Goldson and R.Smith could walk if we can upgrade
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by servegmo:
RB

Gore A
Dixon C (great role player, need to dance less)

TE

Davis A+
Walker B+ (we need to keep him)
Nate/HB C+ (great for our new scheme)

WR

Crabtree A-
Morgan B-
Ginn/KR C+ (great KR, bring speed, we need him)
Zigler C
Williams/KR D+

OL

Staley A-
Iupati A
Bass B
Chilo C
Davis B (potential look good at the end like the pick)

----------------------------------
DT

Sopoaga B
J. Smith A
Franklin B+

LB

Willis A+
Spikes B
Manny B- (no passrush)
Harleson C+
Brooks B- (inconsistent passrush)
LaBoy B (consistant passrush)
Bowman B- (good potential - inexperienced)

CB

Nate B (great in nickel - reconstruct the contract - hope he stays)
Spencer C+
Brown C

S

Dashawn B- (solid)
Mays C+ (potential - he has to show me he can get better)
Smith C+ (potential - not so physical)

Great effort and a good idea to grade out the players.

My own two cents/comments:

If Gore is an A, how is Davis an A+? Gore is closer to being an A than Davis is an A+. Doesn't A+ mean the total package and probable HOFer? Davis is not. He cannot make the difficult catch with consistency; not a clutch go-to guy IMO. And he sure cannot be projected as a HOFer at this point.

You are inconsistent with your grading also. Sometimes you grade on potential (Iupati) and sometimes not (Williams). How can you say Williams is a D+, when, because of injury, we haven't been able to see what he brings? He might be a D, but right now we just don't know. Likewise, Iupati may be an A, but right now he isn't. here I'm assuming that an "A" is pro-bowl or near pro-bowl.

It's all opinion, of course, but IMO Bynam is as good as Walker as a package. Similarly, Spencer is at least as good as Celements.

hey thanks for your 2 cents Rsrkshn...


Gore vs Davis... Both are elite players in my eyes, but I think there a other guys in the league that can do what Gore does maybe with different players but you still can do it, I believe he is one of our most important weapons but I also feel we need to do the running as a committee, we need other runners to change the pace, so we keep him fresh, the role of the all mighty running back to has to change to a two RB a la westbrook with Gore (Dixon its not ready). Vernon is a elite blocker and a great pass catcher with elite speed, you cant find another one of those in the NFL he is unique a la Willis... they are starter in any roster in the nfl. Gore should be on most but not all. (my opinion)

Iupati vs Williams

Iupati in this season played like a monster he is not a finish player but he played all season and showed he can be a dominant player in this league, in the other hand Williams didnt play, he has potential but in his first year he didn show anything on the field he wasnt better than anyone on the WR so he could find minutes on the field, so of course he can be better than a D+ but he will have to show something before he becomes the next Nate Davis on this forum..

Bynam vs Walker

Both are very good role players, but is the same case as Vernon, there are not alot of TE who can run routes and play like WR. Walker is a rare potential were he can play as WR but can also block as a regular TE. He will get good money when he gets to free agensy, you can tfind a lot of those guys in the nfl.

Spencer vs Nate

Spencer is difficult because he had a very good year in 2009 but a terrible in 2010. To me hes strength is a cover corner and nothing else, the problem is that he lost a ton of confidence as the season progress and I think he is very inconsistent, in the other hand Nate can be one of the best nickerl corners in the league, he is physical can support the run like spencer cant do, he can mirror the slot receiver and TEs who are most of the times possession receivers and slow and cover them, to me if nate in the nickel is a great player and can be use a s a weapon not every other team has.

At the end its difficult for me or a ny of us make a real assessment of any of those guys but heck we can try...

lets go niners...
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
QB: NONE

HB: Gore, Westbrook

FB: Byham

TE: Davis, Walker

WR: Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn (PR/KR)

T: Staley, Davis

G: Iupati, Snyder, Wragge

C: Heitmann, Baas

DT: Franklin

DE: Smith, McDonald

OLB: Lawson, LaBoy, Brooks

MLB: Willis, Spikes, Bowman

CB: Clements (as a #2 or maybe convert to S) ; not high on anyone else..

S: T.Mays ; Goldson and R.Smith could walk if we can upgrade

Nice List! (also alludes to necessary movement in the offseason, with QB, CB, OLB, and D-line)

I actually think Alex Boone should be on the list. He as proven since he came here that he WILL put in the time and be a professional. For a minimal contract, that's hard to come by, especially if he becomes our 3rd in the tackle rotation . O-Line depth is essential for an effective offense throughout the season.
The only way I'd be ok with letting David Carr see the field is if we simultaniously pulled all the offensive line and blocking TEs.
People have a huge mancrush on Lawson for some reason.

I like him. But IMO, he's only good at run support. I'll rephrase that: He's very good in run support. I don't think he is as good in coverage as so many people on here claim. It seems like assumption just came out of nowhere a couple of years ago, with no base to it. I've seen plenty of times when opposing TEs and backs catch a bunch of passes against us.

And on top of that, he can't pass rush for s**t. I think he has something like 10 sacks in 5 years. He is very replaceable IMO.

Cut Haralson, try resigning Lawson to a reasonable contract. If he wants more money, than let him walk. Draft either Quinn in the first round, or jeremy beal in the second.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Mine are;

RB Dixon
RB Gore
WR Crabtree
WR Morgan
TE Vernon
TE Delanie
TE/FB Byham
OT Staley
OT Davis
OG Iupati

DE J.Smith
DE McDonald
NT Jean Francois
ILB Willis
ILB Spikes
ILB Bowman
CB Spencer

P Lee
LS Jennings

Ask me again after we know about the CBA.

It'll be really hard to replace a large portion of the roster if we we have a truncated offseason. It'll be interesting to see what our strategy will be if we do.

We can re-sign our own free agents without the CBA in place, can't we?