LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

Now with the staff shaping up, who are those guys we must retain on the roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Keep Manny Lawson and cut Harralson (or let him walk, whatever his contract situation looks like).

Franchise Aubrayo Franklin (if available) or draft replacement in first two rounds.

Sign Troy Smith as a cost-efficient stop-gap.

Sign Travis LaBoy, because he's the only guy who can consistently get to the QB from the OLB position.

cut them all

Why did Manny Lawson lose the fan base? he is a great player and an athletic freak. I want to keep him.

Because he cant rush the passer, which is what this defense needs.
It's interesting to note the longest list so far is 31 players...which would mean 22 newbies to fill out the 2011 active roster. Not saying that's impossible, but it is improbable. Eight or nine (don't remember which) draft picks, some FA's and some undrafted FA's will probably equate to a dozen + new players, 15 most likely being the outer limit.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Keep Manny Lawson and cut Harralson (or let him walk, whatever his contract situation looks like).

Franchise Aubrayo Franklin (if available) or draft replacement in first two rounds.

Sign Travis LaBoy, because he's the only guy who can consistently get to the QB from the OLB position.

Troy Smith could be a cost efficient clip board holder but we already have one in Carr. All QB's named Smith must go.

That's right.

I know that it's real "in" to bag on Carr, but of the three we had last year, Carr was the best. Just was never given the opportunity to show it. Not saying he's the answer, just better than the other two . . . not at all hard to do.

Alex Smith for all the excuses thrown up for him, NEVER posted numbers equal to Carr's in his best year. Numbers never tell the whole story, but Carr has better QB instincts. That's why of the three, Carr will be the only one on the roster this year (hopefully third string). The other two are hopeless.

The second biggest laugh I got this morning was reading where someone wrote that Manny Lawson was a "great player" with "freaky athleticism"
Frankly he's neither. Especially not the first!
What's so difficult about understanding what Baalke said? He just does not fit the bill as an OLB, especially in the 3-4.
Goodbye Manny. Best of luck being the back-up on your next team.

Carr's play in the limited action he saw against Carolina was some of the worst anyone has ever witnessed
I hope that lawson and goldson and ginn are back next year. goldson ie young and has never had a good coach, ginn is speed and would work awesome in the wco mostly with sullivan gone. then lawson he is starter in the nfl. he would be awesome if he could get help on the other side here. he would blow up his side and the qb would just roll to the other side check sd game! one we need another olb for that side two munsky was only blitizing on one side
ATL falling apart
Did anyone catch which statistic Gonzales was #2 and J Rice was #1? Aikamn was talking bout it.
Originally posted by forty9ers49:

Troy Smith could be a cost efficient clip board holder but we already have one in Carr. All QB's named Smith must go.

That's right.

I know that it's real "in" to bag on Carr, but of the three we had last year, Carr was the best. Just was never given the opportunity to show it. Not saying he's the answer, just better than the other two . . . not at all hard to do.

Alex Smith for all the excuses thrown up for him, NEVER posted numbers equal to Carr's in his best year. Numbers never tell the whole story, but Carr has better QB instincts. That's why of the three, Carr will be the only one on the roster this year (hopefully third string). The other two are hopeless.

The second biggest laugh I got this morning was reading where someone wrote that Manny Lawson was a "great player" with "freaky athleticism"
What's so difficult about understanding what Baalke said? He just does not fit the bill as an OLB, especially in the 3-4.

Carr's play in the limited action he saw against Carolina was some of the worst anyone has ever witnessed

Well, I have to admit that I did not witness that effort. But from all comments it must have been atrocious. Nevertheless I don't believe that he ever got the support he needed to do an adequate job under the circumstances. Meaning reps in practice and game time. It's hard to evaluate someone on one quarter's worth of play, especially when the coaches are setting him up to fail. Carr did have a 3K plus yards season when he was a starter; something Alex did not come close to accomplishing.

I'm certainly not saying that Carr is any kind of answer at QB. But we are comparing him to Alex and Troy. Here, if they were given equal opportunity, I reckon he'd be better. In this case the distinction is between bad and worse. IMO Alex being worse and Troy probably being the worst. Overall, a sorry lot!

We will see what the new regime does with Carr. I do recall that Coughlin wanted him back at the Giants to back up Eli. I place more stock in that small vote of confidence than Singletary's evaluation.

I could be wrong, because it is only a hunch, but we'll see how it plays out.
Originally posted by servegmo:

hey thanks for your 2 cents Rsrkshn...

Gore vs Davis... Both are elite players in my eyes, but I think there a other guys in the league that can do what Gore does maybe with different players but you still can do it, I believe he is one of our most important weapons but I also feel we need to do the running as a committee, we need other runners to change the pace, so we keep him fresh, the role of the all mighty running back to has to change to a two RB a la westbrook with Gore (Dixon its not ready). Vernon is a elite blocker and a great pass catcher with elite speed, you cant find another one of those in the NFL he is unique a la Willis... they are starter in any roster in the nfl. Gore should be on most but not all. (my opinion)

Iupati vs Williams

Iupati in this season played like a monster he is not a finish player but he played all season and showed he can be a dominant player in this league, in the other hand Williams didnt play, he has potential but in his first year he didn show anything on the field he wasnt better than anyone on the WR so he could find minutes on the field, so of course he can be better than a D+ but he will have to show something before he becomes the next Nate Davis on this forum..

Bynam vs Walker

Both are very good role players, but is the same case as Vernon, there are not alot of TE who can run routes and play like WR. Walker is a rare potential were he can play as WR but can also block as a regular TE. He will get good money when he gets to free agensy, you can tfind a lot of those guys in the nfl.

Spencer vs Nate

Spencer is difficult because he had a very good year in 2009 but a terrible in 2010. To me hes strength is a cover corner and nothing else, the problem is that he lost a ton of confidence as the season progress and I think he is very inconsistent, in the other hand Nate can be one of the best nickerl corners in the league, he is physical can support the run like spencer cant do, he can mirror the slot receiver and TEs who are most of the times possession receivers and slow and cover them, to me if nate in the nickel is a great player and can be use a s a weapon not every other team has.

At the end its difficult for me or a ny of us make a real assessment of any of those guys but heck we can try...

lets go niners...

Fair enough . . . I can see where you're going with this and I cannot find any flaws in what you are saying.

I do agree with you on Gore and rbs in general. And the special qualities VD and DW possess. Hopefully they will be able to flourish with better coaching and scheming. Also hopefully Williams will turn out to be the quick, Wes Walker type slot receiver that Baalke, I'm sure, imagined that he could be when he drafted him.

It's great to FINALLY have some hope for the team going forward. Personally, I have not had this kind of expectation for at least five years now. More actually, because I had very tentative expectations when Nolan was first hired.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Quote:
Well, I have to admit that I did not witness that effort. But from all comments it must have been atrocious. Nevertheless I don't believe that he ever got the support he needed to do an adequate job under the circumstances. Meaning reps in practice and game time. It's hard to evaluate someone on one quarter's worth of play, especially when the coaches are setting him up to fail. Carr did have a 3K plus yards season when he was a starter; something Alex did not come close to accomplishing.

Just an FYI for those who didn't actually watch the Carolina game.

Alex got knocked tfo less than a minute into the second half in that game (thanks to Anthony Davis). He'd been having a pretty decent game against arguably the worst team in the league up to that point. It was the defense which was crapping the bed against Matt Moore.

So Carr basically had a whole half of ball to play against the worst team in the league. He went 5-13 for 67 yards, one int, and a 23.1 QB rating.

He wasn't just bad, he was terrible. To be fair though, the defense was even more terrible, allowing Matt Moore to shred them for 300+ yards.

Then
With the exception of the offensive and defensive lines -- turn the roster over completely.

I would keep Vernon because of his ability to block.

Walsh turned over the entire roster when he arrived in '79 -- with the exception of the offensive line (built by Monte Clarke). He also kept the defensive line intact, but added players like Dwayne (Tiny) Board and Fred Dean.

But as for linebackers? He cut everyone and rebuilt
Cornerbacks/Safeties? Cut everyone and rebuilt
Running Backs/Wide Receivers/Tight Ends? With the exception of Freddie Solomon, cut everyone and rebuilt
As for the QB (I think you know this)? Cut everyone and rebuilt

Two years after he took over a dramatically different looking team emerged. Young team too. Poised for greatness.

I'll never forget that '81 draft. Walsh drafted his entire starting defensive backfield -- including two All-Pros -- which includes one guy named Ronnie Lott.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
With the exception of the offensive and defensive lines -- turn the roster over completely.

I would keep Vernon because of his ability to block.

Walsh turned over the entire roster when he arrived in '79 -- with the exception of the offensive line (built by Monte Clarke). He also kept the defensive line intact, but added players like Dwayne (Tiny) Board and Fred Dean.

But as for linebackers? He cut everyone and rebuilt
Cornerbacks/Safeties? Cut everyone and rebuilt
Running Backs/Wide Receivers/Tight Ends? With the exception of Freddie Solomon, cut everyone and rebuilt
As for the QB (I think you know this)? Cut everyone and rebuilt

Two years after he took over a dramatically different looking team emerged. Young team too. Poised for greatness.

I'll never forget that '81 draft. Walsh drafted his entire starting defensive backfield -- including two All-Pros -- which includes one guy named Ronnie Lott.

Crazy talk.

You're suggesting another Nolan-esque purge, which is dumb and completely unnecessary. This is not the 2-14 team that Walsh inherited and which required a huge infusion of talent. There is plenty of talent on both sides of the ball which can be retained and built on.

I'd actually say the DL is one of the areas needing improvement. Outside of Justin Smith, I can't say any of the other DL are particularly noteworthy.

And you'd keep Vernon Davis around to block? Oh okay.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
David Carr MUST be on this team.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Cut everyone and rebuilt

You do realize we can add players without cutting everyone, right?

I hope this post was sarcasm.
  • ZRF80
I think we should try to retain Westbrook. If our playbook is anything like the Packers, and we can install a wishbone scheme where we have two RBs lined up behind QB, and let the QB make the pitch based on where the defense gives gaps....it could go a long way to utilizing our run game effectively.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran

That's right.

I agree with the Lawson statement but Carr is HORRIBLE! He has the worst release in all of FOOTBALL.
Share 49ersWebzone