LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

Expectations for the 2011 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Greeting from Noob-land!
I didn't see a similar topic listed in the forum so since I had share some thoughts on the subject.

In regards to the upcoming season, I don't have very high expectations. Let's look at some of the challenges this team and coaching staff face in 2011.

No established Quarterback. Not only do we not have a quarterback of any worth on the roster but the league as a whole is pretty slim pickings. I believe JH takes a quarterback somewhere in the draft but thats going to be a multi-year project. So anyone we pick up through free agency/trade is simply going to keep the seat warm for someone better.

New Offensive System. If you've been paying attention the last 6 seasons, you'll know how difficult it is for a team to implement the language and schemes associated with running an NFL Offense. And to do it soooo many times must be wearing down players. But as I noted in a different thread, having JH be the de facto OC finally bring stability to the offense. One more time guys!

CBA. The Collective Bargaining Agreement (or lack thereof) is definitely going to affect our ability to bring it all together in a timely manner. We just don't yet know to what degree. This one's completely out of the organizations hands.

There are probably other challenges, I'm just not coming up with any right now. So when all is said and done and we start the 2011 regular season, I predict a very rough start. What happens over those 16 (or possibly 18) games will be the tell-all. There needs to be progress and not the phony BS that we see at the end each season when there's nothing left to play for. I mean development! Development for 2012. That my friends, is when things are going to get very interesting.

Please let me know you thoughts.
In all honesty, we have to be expecting the worse.

New coach, new system, and players that might not be good fits are all things that point to a below .500 record.

I'm guessing we'll be about 6-10 or 7-9. I'm being realistic here...
Impossible to say until we know who our starting QB is for next year.
Yea I would rather wait til after the draft and free agency to really guague my full expectations.

Once again there will be a lot of change and a lot of learning of new systems. Plus they don't even have qb. I would go 8-8 at best 6-10 at worst.
I'd be happy with 5-11/6-10 with us competing in a majority of the games.

If the offense starts off fine, I'd like to see some tangible progress in the offense by the end of the season.

Not sure how people can expect anything higher than 8-8. Odds are this team isn't going to shift from 3-yard and a cloud of dust, to complicated West Coast offense just like that.
6-10 or 7-9
Well I was trying to avoid predicting our record and was simply looking for your opinion as to what we can expect and maybe specifically why. Like, what other challenges are we faced with that I didn't list?
[ Edited by rage49 on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM ]
I will tell you why you are wrong , one we made 6-10 this year without a decent qb and inspite of our dumpass HC. 2nd we have a good D and we will improve from last year. the O and that is the worry we will be better no matter who under center . If you look @ JH teams always prepared and well coached , we will compete and the close games that we did not win last year we will win this year and win the west , we have a better team than seattle and st louis and arizona our problem was coaching not players !
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I'd be happy with 5-11/6-10 with us competing in a majority of the games.

If the offense starts off fine, I'd like to see some tangible progress in the offense by the end of the season.

Not sure how people can expect anything higher than 8-8. Odds are this team isn't going to shift from 3-yard and a cloud of dust, to complicated West Coast offense just like that.

My expectation for our 49ers every year never changes... CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

im gonna wait until i see the roster after FA/draft
Originally posted by cNiner:
I will tell you why you are wrong , one we made 6-10 this year without a decent qb and inspite of our dumpass HC. 2nd we have a good D and we will improve from last year. the O and that is the worry we will be better no matter who under center . If you look @ JH teams always prepared and well coached , we will compete and the close games that we did not win last year we will win this year and win the west , we have a better team than seattle and st louis and arizona our problem was coaching not players !

Fair enough.
We do have a good D. I'm just hoping that the new coordinator doesn't "complicate" things. On the O, I do agree. However as I noted, the lack of CBA may shorten the learning process and may not give our guys enough time to absorb the playbook. Add to that the complexities of the WCO. I just don't see it.

A side note: That's why I don't think Vince Young could cut it with us. The WCO is just too much for him.
I hope we do well, but honestly we will probably struggle as we will have either a rookie QB or a retread vet. We might get lucky with a rookie, but I kinda expect to be in the running to draft Luck next year.
Originally posted by rage49:
Greeting from Noob-land!
I didn't see a similar topic listed in the forum so since I had share some thoughts on the subject.

In regards to the upcoming season, I don't have very high expectations. Let's look at some of the challenges this team and coaching staff face in 2011.

No established Quarterback. Not only do we not have a quarterback of any worth on the roster but the league as a whole is pretty slim pickings. I believe JH takes a quarterback somewhere in the draft but thats going to be a multi-year project. So anyone we pick up through free agency/trade is simply going to keep the seat warm for someone better.

New Offensive System. If you've been paying attention the last 6 seasons, you'll know how difficult it is for a team to implement the language and schemes associated with running an NFL Offense. And to do it soooo many times must be wearing down players. But as I noted in a different thread, having JH be the de facto OC finally bring stability to the offense. One more time guys!

CBA. The Collective Bargaining Agreement (or lack thereof) is definitely going to affect our ability to bring it all together in a timely manner. We just don't yet know to what degree. This one's completely out of the organizations hands.

There are probably other challenges, I'm just not coming up with any right now. So when all is said and done and we start the 2011 regular season, I predict a very rough start. What happens over those 16 (or possibly 18) games will be the tell-all. There needs to be progress and not the phony BS that we see at the end each season when there's nothing left to play for. I mean development! Development for 2012. That my friends, is when things are going to get very interesting.

Please let me know you thoughts.

Good job noob.

I agree. I don't expect us to do much this next season on the offensive side. Especially if the CBA doesn't get resolved. Our offense will have no time to A) Learn the new system B) Practice the new system C) No QB + Offense cohesion.

We pretty much got through the 2010 season with no offensive cohesion either and still got 6 wins, but the difference will be the addition of a new defense as well. I expect MAYBE 4-5 wins.
The Jets got it turned around pretty quick. Maybe not the record but the whole buying into Ryan's system and changing the attitude of the team.

They brought in Ryan (who implemented a good defensive system), added some very high profile FA's, and drafted a QB.

Why wouldn't we be able to do something similar?
Share 49ersWebzone