LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Expectations for the 2011 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Maui9er:
Worst case, no CBA, no OTAs, and no training camp. 2011 offense>2010 offense, 2011 defense> 2010 defense, and 2011 special teams> then 2010 special teams.

1978 2&12 record and BAD football on all fronts. 1979 Bill Walsh's first year, 2&12 record, but exciting football and total turn around. 1980 6&10 and exciting football, and you could see things changing big time. 1981 SUPER BOWL!!!

2011, 49ers play better football on all fronts!!!..........

Nice. Agree!

Plus, IMO, if there is no CBA, no OTA, i think it's not necessarily a bad thing for Harbaugh. Gives him time to plan and get through the "learning curve" transition from college to NFL.
I don't think it's ridiculous to assume well win 8 or 9 games if we get a veteran QB such as an Orton or a Kolb... I see this team in a win now scenario with all the talent we have.
the fact that we're implementing a brand new system and don't have a featured qb. i think we'd be lucky to win 7 games next year.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
the fact that we're implementing a brand new system and don't have a featured qb. i think we'd be lucky to win 7 games next year.

That's good enough to win the division!!!
  • Dino
  • Veteran
8-9 wins
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
With the right QB, 10-6 .... with the wrong QB 6-10. The failure of EVERY college coach trying to make it in the NFL is directly tied to the QB position.

Jimmy Johnson: 2 Superbowl's, Troy Aikman (HOF)

Steve Spurrier:

2002: Patrick Ramsey 5 starts 2-3 record,Shane Matthews 7 starts 3-4 record, Danny Wuerffel 4 starts 2-2 record OVERALL 7-9

2003: Patrick Ramsey 11 starts 4-7 record, Tim Hasselbeck 5 starts 1-4 record OVERALL 5-11

Nick Saban:

2005: Gus Frerotte 15 starts 9-6 record OVERALL 9-7

2006: Joey Harrington 11 starts 5-6 record, Daunte Culpepper 4 starts 1-3 record OVERALL 6-10

Bobby Petrino:

2007: Joey Harrington 10 starts 3-7 record, Chris Redman 4 starts 1-4 record OVERALL 4-12
9 - 7 and win the division.
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:

I actually think that the NFC West will be harder to win next year. Seahawks surprisingly made it to the playoffs IMO & played hard to win over NO. Win or lose their next game, I wouldn't be surprised to see that momentum being carried into next season. Also depends on their QB too tho. & Rams could be scary next year. With their D & Sam Braddford's second year operating that potentially dangerous offense, anything can happen.
I see a lot of folks setting themselves up for disappointment expecting a big turnaround in the first year. We have no QB and no prospects better than starting a rookie, and none of these QB's coming out in the draft look NFL ready. I just hope you guys do not turn on the coach before he has a chance to get it right.
I think we'll get a vet, Hasselbeck or McNabb, then draft a rookie. We'll run a vanilla offense and concentrate on a power rushing attack, with an emphasis on the 2-TE set. Most fans will be pissed off for the lack of emphasis the passing game. We'll finish with about 8 wins and in the playoff hunt with Seattle.

I don't expect to see an improvement at the QB position for atleast another year. I'm going to taper my expectations and give Harbaugh some time to get the team going his way before I pass judgement.

9-7+ or bust..

whoever the QB is will throw for 3,200yds+ 20+td 60%+ under 14int

Kyle Orton, Donovan McNabb, might be the top 2 candidates.. maybe even the other Young, Vince.
Playoffs.
Originally posted by BayStreamin510:
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:

I actually think that the NFC West will be harder to win next year. Seahawks surprisingly made it to the playoffs IMO & played hard to win over NO. Win or lose their next game, I wouldn't be surprised to see that momentum being carried into next season. Also depends on their QB too tho. & Rams could be scary next year. With their D & Sam Braddford's second year operating that potentially dangerous offense, anything can happen.

the seahawks are a f**king joke of a road team and only win due to the 12th man bs, anyone couldve beaten the saints that day since they forgot to read tackling for dummies the night befoe their game. theres no question we have the talent to own the nfc west but i feel the rams because of bradford will be our biggest obstacle but it helps us that they lost shurmur, as well as our huge problem with the qb position. if the cba gets done and were allowed to have ota's and tc and get a decent stop gap qb that wont cost you games we will win the division. our new coaching staff alone will win us the games we lost in a close margin this past season
I see an 8-8 season with alot of close wins and close losses. I see JH using this season to get a feel for the NFL. After the 2011-2012 season......no excuses.
For me it depends on two things. 1)How long is it going to take for the CBA to be cleared up? 2) How quickly our players grasp the new system.

1) The CBA issue: If this thing lastes until August then we will not be able to adequately supplement our roster let alone aquire a QB. Under this senario I can see a majority of our free agents returning under one year deals (Alex Smith??? it wouldn't be my choice but who knows).

2) Another problem could be the amount of time it takes our players to adjust to the WCO. I have heard it said before that it takes three years to fully comprehend this system. This would be further complicated if the CBA approveal drags on for any extended amount of time. Until then coaches cannot hold mini camps or OTA's which is the time when new systems are usually installed.

Personally I hope the CBA gets passed sooner rather than later, hopefully sometime shortly after the draft in May. That is if they can't get it done by March 3 which obviously would be preferable. In the best case senario I am hoping for at least an 8-8 record, of course I would like better but that is the lowest I will go. Even if next season continues to be rocky I will not be discouraged. I expect a big jump in productivity between year one and year two of the Harbaugh era.
Share 49ersWebzone