• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Staley --- Iupati --- Goodwin --- Davis --- Boone

FTW

I like it but I also don't like it.

I like because it gives Boone a chance to start, I remember him actually being touted as a 2nd round pick so you know the talent is there and he did real well in Preseason. I was amazed he didn't get drafted because of his off-field issue, DUI I think.

I don't like it because Davis has been steadliy improving each game at R, pretty much growing up at RT. I hope he continues to grow there. And if we have Davis and Boone starting at the same time, who will be our swing tackle???

Davis can kick out to tackle in case of injury, then Kilgore can step in RG. This is assuming Kilgore is ready.

That's also another option, hopefully hes ready. I think Kilgore would be the top back up to C and Guard, Looney also looks like another option if hes healthy. We got alot of young players on the O-line, I also like Chase Beeler Harbaughs C during his college years. But so far Tackle has been our hardest position to fill throughout the years on the O-line I believe we should keep what we have growing there.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

FTW

I think we will see this, unless Kilgore really pops some eyes in camp. I have been a big supporter of Boone since we signed him, this could be his year.

Love it! Boone appears more stout at sealing the edge for runs off-tackle so having a bruiser inside like Davis road grading to the next level and Boone sealing the edge, we may FINALLY have successful runs off-tackle and forcing defenses to stop run-blitzing between the tackles. Runs inside and outside, utilize screens and fly-sweeps, etc. Balance! This is what cost of the Giants game, big time!

FTW

I like it but I also don't like it.

I like because it gives Boone a chance to start, I remember him actually being touted as a 2nd round pick so you know the talent is there and he did real well in Preseason. I was amazed he didn't get drafted because of his off-field issue, DUI I think.

I don't like it because Davis has been steadliy improving each game at R, pretty much growing up at RT. I hope he continues to grow there. And if we have Davis and Boone starting at the same time, who will be our swing tackle???

All due respect, I just don't see it. Improved on last year's awful play? Yeah.. some. I think his ceiling is low for much more improvement at RT. He's not gonna magically gain lateral quickness and COD that he simply doesn't have. I think we have to work our playcalls to protect Davis' deficiencies at RT. Of course, I could be wrong here... it's just an opinion after watching as much as I have. But at RG? Oh, I think Davis can be an amazing RG.

-1.0: What a waste! Anthony Davis, T (11th overall pick in 2010): Davis did progress in his second year there's no denying that. While he was god-awful as a rookie (-28.1) he was merely pretty terrible in Year 2 (-17.0). There's a lot of excuses made for him, but the simple facts are Davis continues to give up far too much pressure, and is inconsistent in the run game. Needs to speed up that development.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/04/21/draft-grader-san-francisco-49ers/

LeCharles Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl lineman whose career was cut short after six seasons due to a knee injury and complications from surgery, has worked closely with Boone for several years at Bentley's O-Line Academy near Cleveland. "Alex can play guard if it's the best thing for the team, but physically it's not the ideal position for him," Bentley said. "Good guards are easier to find than good tackles. I believe Alex is a very good tackle in the making." "Honestly, in their scheme, guards are a dime a dozen," Bentley said. "A good young OT is such a premium. It would be a waste of ability. . . . But if he's one of the five best, yeah, get him on the field." Bentley said he believes the 49ers' best option would be to move Anthony Davis to guard. "I believe they have to figure out who the best five are first," Bentley said. "Then, figure out the proper configuration. Alex is my guy. He still has to show he's ready to be an NFL starter. Potential is just unproven talent. There are four guys we all know are starters. They need one more. I believe Alex is a starter, but he's going to have to earn it."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Boone-expected-to-get-chance-to-compete-?blockID=686430&feedID=5936

jus sayin' ...
Your arguments against Davis sound a lot like the ones we make for Alex Smith. However, Davis didn't even get an offseason his 2nd year and actually had to change to a completly new blocking scheme.

Anyway, I'll take what Bentley says with a grain of salt, considering Boone attends his school and there is no doubt a conflict of interest. Further more, if Boone is as good as he says, that's not to say Davis isn't better. Sounds like we should consider trading him for a 1st or 2nd rather than hord 3 high quality starting tackles.

I'll start the turn Boone into draft picks campiagne.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Your arguments against Davis sound a lot like the ones we make for Alex Smith. However, Davis didn't even get an offseason his 2nd year and actually had to change to a completly new blocking scheme.

Anyway, I'll take what Bentley says with a grain of salt, considering Boone attends his school and there is no doubt a conflict of interest. Further more, if Boone is as good as he says, that's not to say Davis isn't better. Sounds like we should consider trading him for a 1st or 2nd rather than hord 3 high quality starting tackles.

Good luck! Gonna go a lot smoother for you if you can spell campaign right!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Good luck! Gonna go a lot smoother for you if you can spell campaign right!

Bentley said he believes the 49ers' best option would be to move right tackle Anthony Davis to guard. It's a switch that is not likely to happen after the 49ers traded up to select Davis with the No. 11 pick in the 2010 draft. The 49ers expect Davis, with his first offseason of work with coaches this year, to develop into one of the game's top right tackles.

"I believe they have to figure out who the best five are first," Bentley said. "Then, figure out the proper configuration. Alex is my guy. He still has to show he's ready to be an NFL starter. Potential is just unproven talent. There are four guys we all know are starters. They need one more. I believe Alex is a starter, but he's going to have to earn it."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Boone-expected-to-get-chance-to-compete-?blockID=686430&feedID=5936
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
All due respect, I just don't see it. Improved on last year's awful play? Yeah.. some. I think his ceiling is low for much more improvement at RT. He's not gonna magically gain lateral quickness and COD that he simply doesn't have. I think we have to work our playcalls to protect Davis' deficiencies at RT. Of course, I could be wrong here... it's just an opinion after watching as much as I have. But at RG? Oh, I think Davis can be an amazing RG.

-1.0: What a waste! Anthony Davis, T (11th overall pick in 2010): Davis did progress in his second year there's no denying that. While he was god-awful as a rookie (-28.1) he was merely pretty terrible in Year 2 (-17.0). There's a lot of excuses made for him, but the simple facts are Davis continues to give up far too much pressure, and is inconsistent in the run game. Needs to speed up that development.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/04/21/draft-grader-san-francisco-49ers/

LeCharles Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl lineman whose career was cut short after six seasons due to a knee injury and complications from surgery, has worked closely with Boone for several years at Bentley's O-Line Academy near Cleveland. "Alex can play guard if it's the best thing for the team, but physically it's not the ideal position for him," Bentley said. "Good guards are easier to find than good tackles. I believe Alex is a very good tackle in the making." "Honestly, in their scheme, guards are a dime a dozen," Bentley said. "A good young OT is such a premium. It would be a waste of ability. . . . But if he's one of the five best, yeah, get him on the field." Bentley said he believes the 49ers' best option would be to move Anthony Davis to guard. "I believe they have to figure out who the best five are first," Bentley said. "Then, figure out the proper configuration. Alex is my guy. He still has to show he's ready to be an NFL starter. Potential is just unproven talent. There are four guys we all know are starters. They need one more. I believe Alex is a starter, but he's going to have to earn it."

jus sayin' ...

You have to think though, with the injuries we had last year, why wasn't Boone moved into the starting line up or when Davis was being inconsistent at RT. But like Bentley said, Boone still has to prove hes an NFL starter.

But whatever the outcome I do hope to see the best 5 on the field, I think they will be key next year. They started to really gel the seconda half of the season. And now we'll finally get a chance to have a Harbaugh off-season, mini-camps, OTA's and TC. Hopefully our offense cracks the top 15.....cheers.
whatever the outcome I do hope to see the best 5 on the field, I think they will be key next year.....cheers.

Same here... I don't care how they do it, and it's not something to fight each other over.

Small preferences, is all, but whatever it takes to produce a high-functioning offense.
Is there a chance right tackle Anthony Davis gets a shot at guard, and with Boone being ready to be a full-time tackle?

"We're looking at every option right now. The one thing that's fun to see is our guys are very unselfish. You talk to Anthony - some guys would refuse to make the move or would not want to make the move - our guys want to do what's best for the football team. We're going to look at all options and all scenarios in order to put the five best (linemen) on the field. ... I'm confident the coaches are going to find the right mix."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/5/1/2991314/trent-baalke-interview-49ers-gm-briefly-discusses-anthony-davis-and

Interesting.
With all this talk about our future guard and our draft moves this year towards that end, what about the promising Kilgore? Is he not that promising after all? And didn't we draft another O-lineman last year, whose name escapes me? Where does he place in this mix? From all the talk about RG, we seem to be ignoring those two guys, or at least discounting their value/potential, especially that second guy. Someone help with his name please..

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
With all this talk about our future guard and our draft moves this year towards that end, what about the promising Kilgore? Is he not that promising after all? And didn't we draft another O-lineman last year, whose name escapes me? Where does he place in this mix? From all the talk about RG, we seem to be ignoring those two guys, or at least discounting their value/potential, especially that second guy. Someone help with his name please..

Its not that they aren't valuble, but when you have the next Joe Thomas on your team (Boone) you gotta make room. It's that simple.
The FO and coaches must have confidence in one of these guys to take the guard position. They don't seem to be in a panic in FA or the draft for a guard. But the inexperience side worries me a little.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM ]
Looney 6'3 315lbs.

But back in early January, Newberry said Looney was consistently running his 40-yard dashes in the 4.9-second range.

The fastest offensive lineman at the scouting combine was Oklahoma's Donald Stephenson, who ran a 4.94-second 40. The top guard in the draft, Stanford's David DeCastro, ran his in 5.43 seconds.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/newberry-looney-has-a-leg-up-on-most-rookies.html#storylink=cpy
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Looney 6'3 315lbs.

But back in early January, Newberry said Looney was consistently running his 40-yard dashes in the 4.9-second range.

The fastest offensive lineman at the scouting combine was Oklahoma's Donald Stephenson, who ran a 4.94-second 40. The top guard in the draft, Stanford's David DeCastro, ran his in 5.43 seconds.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/newberry-looney-has-a-leg-up-on-most-rookies.html#storylink=cpy

Yea I'm hearing the only reason he fell off the charts is cause he broke a bone and couldn't participate in the Senior Bowl. I'm starting to believe he is the steal of the draft if he pans out like they say he will! CAN'T WAIT TILL FOOTBALL BABY!
They will likely be practicing in a fluid situation, moving guys around and trying different combinations. They have the luxury of a full off-season and will not have to rush the group into a starting unit. It would be great if all these guys can play at a higher level than Rachal and Snyder, which isn't a high bar but is not a certainty either.

As stated, it is somewhat a matter of preference and that is subjective. I see Davis as a RG body type and Boone as a natural T. Others disagree...will be fun to watch and root for the team whoever the starters are.
Share 49ersWebzone