LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

O-line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
They will likely be practicing in a fluid situation, moving guys around and trying different combinations. They have the luxury of a full off-season and will not have to rush the group into a starting unit. It would be great if all these guys can play at a higher level than Rachal and Snyder, which isn't a high bar but is not a certainty either.

As stated, it is somewhat a matter of preference and that is subjective. I see Davis as a RG body type and Boone as a natural T. Others disagree...will be fun to watch and root for the team whoever the starters are.

Agree. Boone looked extremely good when he replaced Staley last year. He does not get pushed back much at all and holds his ground very well. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.
Guard is a must, i still think Goodwin/Davis/Iupati/Staley are solid. RG is the problem but even then if someone can fill in average, id rather trade for another pass rusher than a guard
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I like it but I also don't like it.

I like because it gives Boone a chance to start, I remember him actually being touted as a 2nd round pick so you know the talent is there and he did real well in Preseason. I was amazed he didn't get drafted because of his off-field issue, DUI I think.

I don't like it because Davis has been steadliy improving each game at R, pretty much growing up at RT. I hope he continues to grow there. And if we have Davis and Boone starting at the same time, who will be our swing tackle???

IIRC, he had several alcohol-related incidents at OSU. The big one that killed his draft stock was getting drunk and getting in a fight with a couple of cars and a tow truck, jumping up and down on the cars and using the chain from the tow truck to go a little smashy-smashy. It didn't help his case that this took place right before the draft.

Worked out for us, though
Originally posted by NinerGM:
And it really concerns me that the team only has 3 guys who can play OT at a NFL level right now - and one guy is a true unknown. We will miss Snyder a bit until we can find someone who can be the swing guy at either positions. I'm not saying Snyder was all that great, but you did know the OL would be basically competent if Davis or Staley went out for any extended amount of time. It's a long off-season and I know they're considering this.

Eh... I'm sure most teams can say they only have a few solid options at OT right now. Who knows how well Mike Person is developing, but he is an interesting youngling with OT experience and could be a pretty good backup option.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
And it really concerns me that the team only has 3 guys who can play OT at a NFL level right now - and one guy is a true unknown. We will miss Snyder a bit until we can find someone who can be the swing guy at either positions. I'm not saying Snyder was all that great, but you did know the OL would be basically competent if Davis or Staley went out for any extended amount of time. It's a long off-season and I know they're considering this.

Eh... I'm sure most teams can say they only have a few solid options at OT right now. Who knows how well Mike Person is developing, but he is an interesting youngling with OT experience and could be a pretty good backup option.

OT worries me less than OC. Most of these young guys played OT in college but few played any OC. I believe a couple played center in HS. You can help an OT with a TE, RB or FB but when the blitz is coming unchallenged up the middle...ouch!

However, it may be more important for them to develop unit chemistry than have all top athletes. Many of the let downs last year were due to miscommunication.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
** Kilgore is Solari guy so he will start. But I think the 49ers will see how good a guard Davis can be.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I believe Boone is a better LT then Staley. Yes Joe made the probowl but his run blocking is not as good and Boone has longer arms and can fend of pass rushers. Remember in practice last year Staley had trouble blocking Aldon Smith, but Boone was able to neutralize him.
FYI, Looney won't be cut to be put on P-Squad, he will be claimed like that off waivers. Slowey is easier to get through waivers onto P-Squad. I even think Person might be claimed, Balitmore apparently liked him a lot, as we called them about Tavares Gooden and the Ravens wanted Kilgore or Person, we said no, and they cut Gooden anyway.

If it's only 8, it comes down to Slowey, Person and Beeler competing, unless we do sign Leonard Davis or Jason Brown.

I see Kilgore at RG, with him moving to Center in 2013, with Looney at RG.
Originally posted by GORO:
I believe Boone is a better LT then Staley. Yes Joe made the probowl but his run blocking is not as good and Boone has longer arms and can fend of pass rushers. Remember in practice last year Staley had trouble blocking Aldon Smith, but Boone was able to neutralize him.

Link, blasphemer........
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Link, blasphemer........

that mens nothing staley was consistant and was a pro boel LT last season

by that logic justin beiber wa sable to cross over steve nash ergo justin beiber is a better basketball player than steve nash

• GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
that mens nothing staley was consistant and was a pro boel LT last season

by that logic justin beiber wa sable to cross over steve nash ergo justin beiber is a better basketball player than steve nash

Thats funny!
Keeping guys in to block, really makes dumbs down the offense. If you're keeping guys in to block because your tackles aren't doing the job, that's still advantage defense; for this to be a successful offense, your QB and WR play will have to be much better than it has been in previous seasons. This would force the 49ers to run and the scheme to become very basic/vanilla/predictable. I'd much rather have them prepare for an edge rusher. You're right OC is just as important, but it seems the team has two players with center experience, who could step in. OT, it's a bit different - as you know, those guys are usually matched against the D's best athlete. I know Harbaugh will prepare for his depth (or lack thereof) at OT. No OT, no passing game.

No argument with this. I'm looking down the road and if they have misjudged the guys they are relying on at RG they will need to do something. OTs can receive help from chip blocks, double team with the TE and plays called to diminish the outside rush...screens, runs at the rusher, etc. But if you have a weak link in the middle the whole chain breaks...QB can't throw and the RBs have to run laterally. But I think the coaches will figure it out and be able to build a cohesive unit.

Davis was less agile than I had expected, so believe he is suited to play a power guard game, while Boone (with his long body) can push the pass rushers wide. Also see Davis as needing help from a vet and Kilgore may or may not be able to supply that help. Inside, Davis would have Goodwin to assist him.

But all of this is just nervous energy looking for an outlet for me! Can't wait for them to start camp. I am actually thinking of trying to attend a practice this summer if possible...never done that or wanted to--now it seems like a fun idea.
All of this sounds nice and we can make all the arguments we want about a Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Davis/Boone line-up, but I think that combination has the least chance of coming together. No way we go into the season with no other prospects at tackle. I'll buy into it more if they bring in another guy that can back-up at both of the tackle positions. It's also telling with the drafting of so many interior lineman in the last 2 seasons that they are looking to fill the RG position with one of their younger guys and groom another to eventually replace Johnathan Goodwin. I take Anthony Davis sliding over to guard with a grain of salt until I see more proof. As for Alex Boone getting some work at guard, I think the goal is to turn him into Adam Snyder's replacement, so that if there is injury at LT/LG/RG/RT, Boone can come off of the bench and fill in any of those roles.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Link, blasphemer........

LOL. I believe it! Good to see Boone stirring up competition with Staley. Staley got voted in on name alone (one he earned initially) but he has some major weaknesses and was wildly inconsistent last year as FO noted as well. Love the guy but if Boone can be stronger at the POA, better at sealing the edge and more consistent at protecting Alex's blind side, he's MORE then earned a legitimate shot at starting at LT esp. if we want to establish runs off tackle (finally) with the speed of Hunter and James. Staley is amazing out in space but he certainly has some overlooked weaknesses. I watched him very closely last year and FO and I graded him out the about the same. Good for Boone!
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I know people don't want to see Davis moved, I was one of them. BUT.. If he's one of the best 5 which I believe he is. Then how do we get him on the field? Davis is better suited to play guard than Boone. Somehow we have to get Boone on the field and I believe tackle is his only option. Maybe Kilgore really is the answer and Boone remains a backup but I have a feeling that the coaches see him as a starter in this league. Gonna be interesting to watch this competition play out.

It certainly will... For those of you who question Davis' feet or athleticism, I think you may be making a premature judgment... Two of the reasons the Niners drafted him so high was because of his athleticism and quick feet. We must keep in mind that he is still only 22 years old. He came out early and I'm certain he is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL game. This is what si.com wrote about him before the 2010 draft....

Well-sized athletic pass protecting tackle with a great amount of upside. Possesses terrific footwork, fluid sliding out off the edge, and covers a lot of area on the field. Blocks with good knee bend, gets leverage on opponents and easily handles speed rushers or athletic defenders. Jolts opponents with good hand punch, steers defenders from the action, and seals them from plays with good body positioning. Quickly slides out to pick up the blitz, adjusts to oncoming defenders and fluid blocking in motion. Has the frame to add size. Read more:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/70886.html#ixzz1u1CtkgDK

So, to sum up, I think it is way too early to move him. He demonstrated a good amount of improvement during the course of last season, even though he didn't get a full-offseason of work in. Between guys like Kilgore, Person, and now Looney, the Niners should be able to field a good, solid RG. By the way, I really like having Boone as a swing tackle. It is a great luxury for a team to have.

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone