LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

I think Harbaugh may want to keep Alex as his franchise guy. From reading articles it seems he likes Alex and could maybe turn his career around. Another plus if we keep him is that in harbaugh's system they use the te position alot and Alex has good chemistry with Vernon Davis
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
This is getting silly, folks.

Every player on this team has flaws. Think about it for a second....

Alex Smith: Does not play with instinct.

Frank Gore: Fumbles too often.

Anthony Dixon: Dances too much.

Vernon Davis: Lacks agility and does not make sharp cuts on routes.

Delanie Walker: Does not block well for a tight end.

Michael Crabtree: Has shown lapses in concentration.

Josh Morgan: Does not lay out for the football.

Ted Ginn: Can't catch a cold.

Joe Staley: Is not good enough in pass protection.

Mike Iupati: Rookie. Has a tendency to trip over himself at times.

David Baas: Lacks power for his size.

Chilo Rachal: Can't pass block.

Anthony Davis: Rookie. Poor pass protection.

Justin Smith: Lacks burst to finish.

Aubrayo Franklin: Not versatile NT, can only one gap.

Isaac Sopoaga: Not dominant for his size/athleticism.

Parys Haralson: Can't work in space, lack of speed and agility.

Takeo Spikes: Only has ability to cover in a small zone.

Patrick Willis: Is not a great pass defender.

Manny Lawson: Poor pass rush.

Nate Clements: Is not a zone corner, should play press coverage.

Shawntae Spencer: Lack of ball skills and awareness.

Dashon Goldson: Does not make plays.

Reggie Smith: Poor zone coverage skills.

Obviously I could list more flaws for each, but I could also list positives for each.

The main positive I would list for each is that they have the potential to be better than they are.

Should we scrap the entire roster because they have flaws?

Maybe... now, I'm going out on a limb here... maybe our coaching staff had been the problem the whole time.

Were they not teaching? Was it poor scheme? Did they just flat out suck big fat donkey dick?

I don't know for sure. I do think that it's tough to judge the full potential of any player on this team, though. How do I know for sure what flaws are the fault of the player and what flaws are due to poor teaching or scheme?

So, why don't we just give the new coaching staff a chance to show what it can do with our roster before we decide?

Give the new coaches a chance to evaluate, teach, and scheme... then see what happens.

Anyway, it's not like we have a choice.

You would think that Jim Harbaugh is going to make decisions that he thinks will help the team, right? He's the guy that everyone wanted... now we're going to see what he thinks of the players on our roster.

Wasn't he supposed to be a quarterback expert?

I don't know about any of you, but I'm going to let the Head Coach that I wanted the team to hire make the decisions and wait to judge them until after I see the results.

I'm sick of talking... f**king show me.
Alex Smith will be back in 2011
1) I don't think harbaugh is going to draft a "seasoned" but back up Qb.

2).I never have been an alex fan nor an alex detractor, but after 6 yrs, i think it is better to throw in the towel and say either alex had lousy coaching and a lousy team, or alex was lousy, or BOTH. Whatever, i wrote recently that we should split the sheets with alex, because we had gotten nowhere. Now with the CBA mess looming, and the argument put forward that no OTAs, no TC, no nada, it would seem like the smartest thing to do FOR THIS YR is to keep alex, and let him run team.

Outside shot harbaugh is the coach he has needed, but i really think alex was just a bad pick. NOnetheless, i can now say i favor keeping alex this yr, because of extenuating circumstances re: CBA stalemate. I agree it is likely to cut TC, OTAs short and may end up with just a season and no time to get ready for it. Sorry guys, alex has to stay this yr and let's hope harbaugh brings out the best in him. Bringing in a new guy or a rook qB to start are both NON starters. I don't like it but alex is the answer for 2011. Tough tiddy.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
1) I don't think harbaugh is going to draft a "seasoned" but back up Qb.

2).I never have been an alex fan nor an alex detractor, but after 6 yrs, i think it is better to throw in the towel and say either alex had lousy coaching and a lousy team, or alex was lousy, or BOTH. Whatever, i wrote recently that we should split the sheets with alex, because we had gotten nowhere. Now with the CBA mess looming, and the argument put forward that no OTAs, no TC, no nada, it would seem like the smartest thing to do FOR THIS YR is to keep alex, and let him run team.

Outside shot harbaugh is the coach he has needed, but i really think alex was just a bad pick. NOnetheless, i can now say i favor keeping alex this yr, because of extenuating circumstances re: CBA stalemate. I agree it is likely to cut TC, OTAs short and may end up with just a season and no time to get ready for it. Sorry guys, alex has to stay this yr and let's hope harbaugh brings out the best in him. Bringing in a new guy or a rook qB to start are both NON starters. I don't like it but alex is the answer for 2011. Tough tiddy.
well what i see wit alex is an athlete at qb wit an 82 passer rating which is mediocre by most standards that can b turnover prone and tentative but i also believe he has been coached by regimes that were among the league's worst at bringing along a qb. now wit harbaugh as the head coach for the next 5 yrs, at least we have some offensive constancy and stability. this is not to say that this will turn alex into the franchise, but at least we should b able to properly develop young talent from here on out. I agree that if alex wants back in, we should take him in for the lack of better options so late in the game assuming this cba mess doesn't clear up til late august. I would however consider dumping carr and drafting a couple of rookies because let us face it, we ain't winning the chip this yr but we may as well start getting as much young talent in here and start bringing them along
Pasodoc--I was a Rogers fan and was disappointed when Smith was drafted, but then read his college stats and decided he was not so bad. Since then we all learned how bad coaching can ruin a team and players...not that we needed the lesson! Since Smith has been a stand up guy I support him. If he can turn things around I will be really happy--for Smith and the 9ers. But, it would not surprise me if he continued to flounder and his career goes nowhere.

Now that the CBA has thrown everything into a mess, Smith may decide to stay and I agree that it would be best for the 9ers. Can't see trading a high pick for someone who may be as good as Smith.
pillbusta, i already posted in another thread, that the qb or qbs that harbaugh picks will be in rds 3-5 or 5-7, and i wouldn't be terribly shocked if nobody knows much about either, (or just one), but i will predict he will be a guy who is smart, immensely coachable, probably won't be able to throw a ball thru a brick wall (but so what), and will be somewhat agile on his feet, tho not a Vick type runner. He will be accurate, and will be a good athlete. I couldn't guess which of the some 300 qbs out there he might take, but i am expecting someone i haven't heard of or if so, someone we know little about. Harbaugh will not be taking a qb in first 3 rds. He is going for a coachable unknown, and will draft high picks for other team needs, ie CB, passrushing OLB, maybe a DL guy. And that's it.

We can all hope he does something good with alex this yr, but i really only would like to see alex get us thru the CBA yr, nothing more. It seems a shame to burn a franchisee tag on him,but with the CBA fiasco, strange things happen.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

agree if anyone over the last 6 yrs is going to turn smith into winning QB it's harbaugh.
The Alex momentum has swung. Over the last few weeks, the possibility of Alex being resigned to be the 49er vet for 2011 has increased from 1% to about 70%. And smart, knowledgeable guys like dj43, MadDog, Backontop, Swagger, and others have been making very good cases for not only why it is likely, but why it is the smartest thing for H. to do.

Unless the Alex critics are prepared to lose the argument through their passive silence, they better rally and try to make a come-back. Right now they are clearly losing, and there is nothing worse than being a "loser."
  • dj43
Originally posted by excelsior:
The Alex momentum has swung. Over the last few weeks, the possibility of Alex being resigned to be the 49er vet for 2011 has increased from 1% to about 70%. And smart, knowledgeable guys like dj43, MadDog, Backontop, Swagger, and others have been making very good cases for not only why it is likely, but why it is the smartest thing for H. to do.

Unless the Alex critics are prepared to lose the argument through their passive silence, they better rally and try to make a come-back. Right now they are clearly losing, and there is nothing worse than being a "loser."
Now there you go stirring the pot. I was getting tired of all the posting. I was looking forward to a quiet time.

Originally posted by B650:
Maybe Flynn from Green Bay.

This

Momentum and "good cases" nothwithstanding, all the "smart, knowledgeable guys" need now is for Alex Smith to want to return for yet one more attempt to get over the hump as an NFL QB playing in front of a home crowd that booed him vigorously in the midst of a 38-7 win the last time they saw him.

Good luck with that.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Momentum and "good cases" nothwithstanding, all the "smart, knowledgeable guys" need now is for Alex Smith to want to return for yet one more attempt to get over the hump as an NFL QB playing in front of a home crowd that booed him vigorously in the midst of a 38-7 win the last time they saw him.

Good luck with that.

Smith may realize this is the best place for him if Harbaugh really believes in him. If he goes to another team he will have many of the same issues and fans will be skeptical from the get go. He is a smart guy and, from what I've seen, an honorable guy who may also believe he owes the organization.

Fans tend to be fickle. I'm trying to remember a QB who was not booed at some point in SF. Title...yes; Brodie...double yes; Spurrier...yes. Even Montana and Young were booed early in their careers. The DeBerg fans didn't want anything to do with the skinny kid from ND. lol!

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 15, 2011 at 06:46:06 ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Good luck with that.

Smith may realize this is the best place for him if Harbaugh really believes in him. If he goes to another team he will have many of the same issues and fans will be skeptical from the get go. He is a smart guy and, from what I've seen, an honorable guy who may also believe he owes the organization.

Fans tend to be fickle. I'm trying to remember a QB who was not booed at some point in SF. Title...yes; Brodie...double yes; Spurrier...yes. Even Montana and Young were booed early in their careers. The DeBerg fans didn't want anything to do with the skinny kid from ND. lol!

I think it would need to feel like the best place for him by a LARGE margin for Alex Smith to come back . . . and if those players you listed had the ability to seek a fresh start via free agency (which they didn't), they certainly may have.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Good luck with that.

I think it would need to feel like the best place for him by a LARGE margin for Alex Smith to come back . . . and if those players you listed had the ability to seek a fresh start via free agency (which they didn't), they certainly may have.

I think he may come back harbrough seems to like him I know people say he is forced to get along with Him because of CBa issue but he doesn't. Have to say all the stuff he did if he didn't actually believe in him I remember in his initial press conference it really seemed like he would go outside organization to get qb but after seeing film harbrough really liked him and h k ows a lot more about qbs than a lot of us combined also the 2 stars if the offense gore and Davis like him a lot he is popular and has the support of the locker room the only people who dislike him are the fans

If the team,locker room, and harbraugh trust him that's enough for me
Share 49ersWebzone