There are 195 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by dtg_9er:


People posture all the time in negotiations and it usually turns out to be meaningless once an agreement is reached. He works for the owners and won't undermine their stance.

If they go to mediation the owners will need to compromise and this may be one of the things they give up.

If there is a lockout the owners will be drawing a line in the sand and hoping the union crumbles. This seems to be a very risky propostion for guys who just signed a huge TV contract. It may be a time when neither side can afford to go the distance and mediation becomes the obvious answer.

Edit: It's impossible to predict what would be traded during this process. 18 games for no Franchise Tag? Too many variables to consider.

Well, I'm not trying to speculate. I'm just giving the news as it's been reported.

If you want speculation, here's my impression:

1) It was reported that the League was telling teams not to use the franchise tag prior to January 27th.

2) On January 27th Goodell has a meeting with 10 reporters in which he says that he expects the franchise tag to be enforced next season.

3) On January 30th all major sporting news sources report that the Eagles will place franchise tag on Vick. No mention of CBA in the articles.

You could put on a tin foil hat and say that the NFL controls the media.

We'll see how things turn out.

One last note: Vick is having financial issues... not rich right now, lots of debt. Franchise tag for a QB is a lot of money. From what I read, Vick is not able to negotiate a contract extension because of some of the wording in his current contract. If he signs the franchise tag contract, he might be able to negotiate an extension.

Speculate on that scenario if you wish.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:


People posture all the time in negotiations and it usually turns out to be meaningless once an agreement is reached. He works for the owners and won't undermine their stance.

If they go to mediation the owners will need to compromise and this may be one of the things they give up.

If there is a lockout the owners will be drawing a line in the sand and hoping the union crumbles. This seems to be a very risky propostion for guys who just signed a huge TV contract. It may be a time when neither side can afford to go the distance and mediation becomes the obvious answer.

Edit: It's impossible to predict what would be traded during this process. 18 games for no Franchise Tag? Too many variables to consider.

Well, I'm not trying to speculate. I'm just giving the news as it's been reported.

If you want speculation, here's my impression:

1) It was reported that the League was telling teams not to use the franchise tag prior to January 27th.

2) On January 27th Goodell has a meeting with 10 reporters in which he says that he expects the franchise tag to be enforced next season.

3) On January 30th all major sporting news sources report that the Eagles will place franchise tag on Vick. No mention of CBA in the articles.

You could put on a tin foil hat and say that the NFL controls the media.

We'll see how things turn out.

One last note: Vick is having financial issues... not rich right now, lots of debt. Franchise tag for a QB is a lot of money. From what I read, Vick is not able to negotiate a contract extension because of some of the wording in his current contract. If he signs the franchise tag contract, he might be able to negotiate an extension.

Speculate on that scenario if you wish.

No, I'm not into speculating or tin foil hats! Just know that when a contract (CBA) has expired or is expiring, and negotiations are taking place, there are too many variables to be projecting an outcome. The NFL and the players union are not above using the media to shape the issues in their favor, so whatever Roger says has all the weight of a Vince McMahon press conference. When the ink is dry on the new CBA we will know what to believe regarding Franchise Tags, etc.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

No, I'm not into speculating or tin foil hats! Just know that when a contract (CBA) has expired or is expiring, and negotiations are taking place, there are too many variables to be projecting an outcome. The NFL and the players union are not above using the media to shape the issues in their favor, so whatever Roger says has all the weight of a Vince McMahon press conference. When the ink is dry on the new CBA we will know what to believe regarding Franchise Tags, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that you were. I was just pointing out that I'm not.

My original points were that:

A) It was reported that the Eagles would franchise Vick. It is currently possible to do this. People were telling fakers that it wasn't.

B) If Vick signs the contract tender, it will not matter if there is no franchise tag in the new CBA. People were telling fakers that it doesn't matter if they use the franchise tag.

I was just trying to get the facts straight.
LOL, why are people arguing over the whole franchising Vick issue?

It doesn't matter. The Eagles are gonna retain Vick no matter what happens.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
LOL, why are people arguing over the whole franchising Vick issue?

It doesn't matter. The Eagles are gonna retain Vick no matter what happens.

Exactly. Vick isn't going anywhere and Kolb will probably be traded.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Yeah, and now I understand that Cohn and Maiocco were being interviewed today and suggested that maybe Baalke and Harbaugh are already at cross-purposes on the QB issue.

o god lol

sounds more like writers trying to come up with a story
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Yeah, and now I understand that Cohn and Maiocco were being interviewed today and suggested that maybe Baalke and Harbaugh are already at cross-purposes on the QB issue.

o god lol

sounds more like writers trying to come up with a story

LOL I know. Honestly, how would they even know?
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Yeah, and now I understand that Cohn and Maiocco were being interviewed today and suggested that maybe Baalke and Harbaugh are already at cross-purposes on the QB issue.

o god lol

sounds more like writers trying to come up with a story

LOL I know. Honestly, how would they even know?

So...how bout another Smith thread? Should we Franchise the guy or what?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

No, I'm not into speculating or tin foil hats! Just know that when a contract (CBA) has expired or is expiring, and negotiations are taking place, there are too many variables to be projecting an outcome. The NFL and the players union are not above using the media to shape the issues in their favor, so whatever Roger says has all the weight of a Vince McMahon press conference. When the ink is dry on the new CBA we will know what to believe regarding Franchise Tags, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that you were. I was just pointing out that I'm not.

My original points were that:

A) It was reported that the Eagles would franchise Vick. It is currently possible to do this. People were telling fakers that it wasn't.

B) If Vick signs the contract tender, it will not matter if there is no franchise tag in the new CBA. People were telling fakers that it doesn't matter if they use the franchise tag.

I was just trying to get the facts straight.

I have a great deal of respect for your posts and am not/was not offended! Thought about using a smiley but am still not completely comfortable with them. That said...

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 31, 2011 at 20:12:19 ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Yeah, and now I understand that Cohn and Maiocco were being interviewed today and suggested that maybe Baalke and Harbaugh are already at cross-purposes on the QB issue.

o god lol

sounds more like writers trying to come up with a story

LOL I know. Honestly, how would they even know?

So...how bout another Smith thread? Should we Franchise the guy or what?

?
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
LOL, why are people arguing over the whole franchising Vick issue?

It doesn't matter. The Eagles are gonna retain Vick no matter what happens.

Exactly. Vick isn't going anywhere and Kolb will probably be traded.


Why does everyone assume that Kolb will be traded? Like I said earlier, the Eagles will be looking for a 1st rd pick in return. IF they cannot get a 1st rd pick, why the hell would they trade him for less? They could simply hold on to him as insurance should Vick get injuried.
And like I said earlier, Kolb has done nothing to justify burning a first round pick on him. NOTHING.
Baalke and Harbaugh would be fools to make that deal when guys like Orton, McNabb, Hasselbeck, etc could be cheaper.

Even still, there is nothing that says Philly is going to trade the dude anyway.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by dtg_9er:


I have a great deal of respect for your posts and am not/was not offended! Thought about using a smiley but am still not completely comfortable with them. That said...

Thanks!

I love you, too!
Caleb Hanie
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
Looks like Goodell has arranged a series of talks this month to get a new agreement in place for next season. John Clayton thinks it will be done by March 4th, or the 11th at the latest.

Which means that Alex's days are numbered here. I think we go after McNabb or Kolb, possibly Palmer if he really forces himself out of Cincy.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
LOL, why are people arguing over the whole franchising Vick issue?

It doesn't matter. The Eagles are gonna retain Vick no matter what happens.

Exactly. Vick isn't going anywhere and Kolb will probably be traded.


Why does everyone assume that Kolb will be traded? Like I said earlier, the Eagles will be looking for a 1st rd pick in return. IF they cannot get a 1st rd pick, why the hell would they trade him for less? They could simply hold on to him as insurance should Vick get injuried.
And like I said earlier, Kolb has done nothing to justify burning a first round pick on him. NOTHING.
Baalke and Harbaugh would be fools to make that deal when guys like Orton, McNabb, Hasselbeck, etc could be cheaper.

Even still, there is nothing that says Philly is going to trade the dude anyway.

Agreed! No first round pick on Kolb! Not worth it.