LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 87 users in the forums

West Coast Offense comin back home. Will Crabtree thrive?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
crab will thrive, its an offense built for big bodied, yet shifty receivers. one of crabtrees best attributes was his ability to run clean routes (once he learns them) thats how he gets separation. the WCO is all about routes and timing. screens, sweeps, quick slants etc. crabs will be just fine. Crabs and Braylon are gonna be very hard to play against, especially with Vernon, Frank and Josh/Delanie/Ginn on the field at the same time. thats a lot of people for a defense to worry about. i have a feeling a lot of our guys are gonna have great years this year if our O-Line can keep smith on his feet

Not just that but when Kaepernick is starting team will have to account for his legs as well. Teams will go nuts trying to stop all that Im gonna cheese my ass off in Madden this year

True 9er fans never have to cheese to be competitive in a video game.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
^ what's your point? That to add to the early entry, Crabtree was clueless and a pu$$y to boot?

FYI, it's frowned upon to quote entire articles on forums.

My point was that he explained the reason for not being able to catch some of the passes, something you failed to point out. He clearly stated that there was some miscommunication, but according to you hes "clueless and a p***y"

So he said he didn't drop any balls but had an excuse for one he dropped?

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Good overall post... it got me immediately remembering back to this... ( the year where he had several + )

Crabtree: What drops?

Has Michael Crabtree dropped any passes in recent games? I guess it depends on who you ask. Crabtree, for instance, didn't seem to recall any passes he could have possibly hauled in when I asked him about recent drops today.
MC: Drops?
Me: You don't think you've had any drops?
MC: What are you talking about?
Me: Balls you could have caught.
MC: No. If they were on the sideline or something, or too high or something. I never, ever ... Have you ever seen me deal with drops in my college career?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2009/12/crabtree-what-d.html#ixzz1UjGhe1Or

What a douche.

The dropped passes don't bother me as much as the tipped for INT ones. Don't buy the 'Smith threw it too hard' crap. Marino, Elways, and Favre all at some point zipped their throws at the last second before defenders got to them. They threw a little in front, a little behind, a little high, a little towards the ground, but all within body reach of the receiver, and they expect them to catch the ball. They don't throw the ball thinking 'I need to throw it nice and soft for my receiver' so they don't have to reach for it. It's more like 'I did my best to avoid a sack, make a play, it's your job to catch the freak'n ball'
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
just pointing out that Crabs does have a lot of ownership to attain for, and i have yet to hear him speak on his mistakes, and on ways he can get better, or even say, *yeah and me and whomever the Qb is, we have to build that rapport that turns that avg. Qb and WR, into the great or even good duos in the league"

i still think he can be something, but i just have yet to really see how hungry he is. i have yet to hear yeah Crabs is staying extra late with whomever, to work on things, staying with the coaches, doing tons of extra film study. the one thing i heard this offseason is that he was getting balls thrown at him by college guys i think, when he should of been at any of the player run camps.

I just feel that as much as we talk about the Qb spot, we also have to talk about, have we really seen Crabs wanting to be the best WR in the building. and this is a show me, not tell me league, he doesnt really talk the talk, so is he actually gonna walk the walk. just my two cents.
Good overall post... it got me immediately remembering back to this... ( the year where he had several + )

Crabtree: What drops?

Has Michael Crabtree dropped any passes in recent games? I guess it depends on who you ask. Crabtree, for instance, didn't seem to recall any passes he could have possibly hauled in when I asked him about recent drops today.
MC: Drops?
Me: You don't think you've had any drops?
MC: What are you talking about?
Me: Balls you could have caught.
MC: No. If they were on the sideline or something, or too high or something. I never, ever ... Have you ever seen me deal with drops in my college career?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2009/12/crabtree-what-d.html#ixzz1UjGhe1Or
This last part of the conversation, just happened to be left out...

MC: It was designed to be a back-of-the-end-zone catch. I came out of my break and the ball was already thrown. So, miscommunication.
Me: Were you ducking because of the ball or because there was a defensive back?
MC: I didn't know what was going on. As soon as I turned around, the ball was behind me and dude was about to hit me. So I was like, 'Man, I can't go out like that.'"

The word miscommunication only says one thing, "It wasn't my fault". Somebody excuted and somebody didn't. The person who didn't just needs to own up.

lol At the "man i cant go out like that" part. Damn near every great WR would have tried and probably made that catch. I remember the play he's talking about.
Here is a fresh view from WZers back in the day about that pass and duck. Not saying that just because the majority of zoners labeled it a pu$$ move on Crabtree's part is solid evidence. It's just interesting. If you can have a guy like susweel calling Crabs a pu$$ on that play? (essentially shifting blame from Alex to Crabtree) Then c'mon...

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/134717-crabtree-ducked-game-winner/

... and I'm tired of this perfect, soft placement crap too. NFL receivers making millions to catch catchable passes. Don't coddle them just because of a QB bias.
i wonder how many think that crabtree has that much talent so as to miss another camp and step right in and be a starter? i know the word is that hes engaged in all the meetings, he knows the playbook and all that but i think mental reps and talent can only take a player so far. never heard about him going out of his way to build up a re pore with any of the qb's ever. we know he has talent is he really doing everything he can to get better? he may not think alex has the chops to cut it but he has not made the situation any better by not engaging with the qb's any other time then it is expected of him. at this rate he's probably going to miss another entire preseason, this time the plays aren't drawn up in the dirt. hell at this point im not even convinced that he'll start week 1
Originally posted by Allx9er:
i wonder how many think that crabtree has that much talent so as to miss another camp and step right in and be a starter?

He has the natural talent, but I worry about two things. Is he gonna run the right routes after missing all the prep time? and Is he gonna look the ball in or get cocky and turn to look downfield before the ball arrives? (therefore having it bounce up for an INT)
He has the natural talent, but I worry about two things. Is he gonna run the right routes after missing all the prep time? and Is he gonna look the ball in or get cocky and turn to look downfield before the ball arrives? (therefore having it bounce up for an INT)

Im more worried if the bone will heal right so he doesnt need surgery. If he starts missing regular season games we could be in trouble if we lose any more WRs to injury. Our QBs best chance for success will rely heavily on Edwards and Crabtree.
Im more worried if the bone will heal right so he doesnt need surgery. If he starts missing regular season games we could be in trouble if we lose any more WRs to injury. Our QBs best chance for success will rely heavily on Edwards and Crabtree.

That is what concerns me most about him, he needs to get healthy first and foremost.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what is exactly wrong with his foot, but that may also need to be added to the short list of concerns.

I think that our QB's will also rely just as heavily on the TE's and Gore if the injury bug hurts the WR's. Crabtree has never and still hasn't established much of a relationship with A. Smith. I like the effort Edwards is putting forth to build that chemistry with A. Smith , I would love to read Crabtree making the same kind of effort.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what is exactly wrong with his foot, but that may also need to be added to the short list of concerns.
I hear he may return at the end of preseason but if misses beyond that because he's in the physically unable to perform list he has to miss the first 6 games of the year is that true?
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I hear he may return at the end of preseason but if misses beyond that because he's in the physically unable to perform list he has to miss the first 6 games of the year is that true?

Yep. If he's not pulled from the PUP, then he will stay on for 6 weeks more.

just thought I would bring this up...
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:

just thought I would bring this up...

The only thing holding Crabtree back from being a pro-bowl reciever is his time missed in the off-season.
Share 49ersWebzone