There are 184 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Baalke's hiring.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinersFo6:
I'm not the biggest Lowell Cohn fan but he is spot on with his analyst. We deserved Jed's honesty and what we got was a slap to the face. The 49er fans are owed a better GM. What does Jed and Trent know about WINNING? Trent has been apart of the Jets and Redskins before coming to San Francisco. Last time I checked the Jets aren't concidered a model of WINNING and the Redskins haven't been WINNERS since the early 90's. Now take into effect that he has been stuck in this crappy FO for the last six years and you got a man who only knows how to LOOSE. WINNING only starts with knowing how to WIN and Trent doesn't qualify. We deserved a deeper GM search then what we got and now Jed owes us an appology!!!

That's exactly the point for me. I understand that he can do what he wants with the franchise, but how much lying and deceit should a fan expect?
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
IMHO Baalke´s draft has been better than Scott Mc Cloughan´s drafts.
Iupati
Davis
Mays
Bowman
Dixon

All have more or less played to expectations.

He also was not afraid to make a move in FA, see Westbrook, who besides Spikes has been the best FA pickup we had.

If Baalke brings in a good coach ( Harbaugh, Billick), a good QB, a solid backup QB ( really having Carr as a backup does not help), a CB i´ll have no problem with him.

I agree. And David Carr was one of Scot McCloughan's last signings. Troy Smith was one of Baalke's. Seems Baalke understands more than Scot did.

Also agree with the idea that if we waited much longer to sign a GM we would be behind in the coaching search. And if Jed had hired a coach first, the media and a lot of crying fans would be ripping him apart. He can't win either way with you guys. We all know (or anyone who actually reads knows) that Jed contacted Eddie, Tuna, and someone in the Pats (i know one of you can name him) for advice. The Tuna knows Baalke (actually brought him on his staff years ago) and surely vouched for the guy.

To me, this the right path. Are there more prominent names out there...sure. But at what cost would we have to give up to get them? Waiting for them is the first cost....costing us a coach that we all want. All just to interview some people who may not even want to come here.

Agreed. The biggest legit criticism that anyone can have of Baalke is that he used a 4th rounder to move up and get Anthony Davis.

I don't dislike the hire. I just wish we would bring in someone from a winning organization. Is it a necessary ingredient? I'd say so. Bill Walsh was a part of Paul Brown's Cincinatti Bengals for years before he turned Stanford into a decent squad.

Although Eddie D. has reportedly told Jed we have too many people in our front office, they do serve a purpose. Marathe has done a great job with contracts and I hope we keep him in that roll as our numbers guy. I just want one person who has been some time in a winning organization to either take over Baalke's position as VP of Player Personnel or to be who Baalke directly reports to as Head of Football Operations. At this point, Jed York's judgement cannot be trusted and if he were wise, he'd have someone in his organization that has been a part of a winning franchise.
Cohnheads. LOL.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I always like to get Cohn's opinion, he is unafraid to say the harsh things that need saying. Sometimes he seems to try to hard to find harsh things to say. This time is not one of those times!

Hiring Baalke is a sign the Jed has more of an Al DAvis style then an Eddie D style of management, the problem is Al has more football knowledge. Even if it is leather helmet related knowledge, it is still football knowledge.

Cohn makes and then glosses over a point, a point that has been on my mind all a long.
There a possibility, that Harbaugh has already negotiated a deal, and Baalke was part of the deal. Harbaugh may want Baalke as GM, we might just have a team power structure with a weak GM.

If we are a "weak GM" team, and Harbaugh gets to call player and coaching personal decisions, I think I'm okay with the hire. I am not however okay with Jed's lying about the search. We will see soon enough, Go Niners!

All we can do is wait, I keep checking back here to the zone, looking for Head Coach news. Hoping that Jed gets his man.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Cohnheads. LOL.

Yorkenburgs
Originally posted by 9eridiot:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Cohnheads. LOL.

Yorkenburgs

That thur's a feeeuuuddd fer the ages!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

lol
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Everything he said is 100% true. Jed has his stories completely mixed up right now. Everything he proclaimed in that press conference was a lie.

That being said, if Harbaugh is made HC, he might still save face.

everything cohn said was the truth..jed is full of crap

good ole jed lied to each and every one of us...and some you guys dont want to see the truth

[ Edited by dmax on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:10:24 ]
I cant stand Cohn or Ray Fattass Ratto. I wish people would stop posting it
I think a lot of people around here need to read 1984 and Animal Farm. You have to be able to tell when you're being bullsh!tted.

The issue here is not that Baalke sucks or doesn't suck. It's that the niners have sucked for 8+ years and since the Donahue firing have done almost nothing to change things. Every time they pretend to make a change they just shuffle around what they already have.

Baalke already was the GM (in reality, not title), and he was part of the management team under McCloughin. Hiring him is keeping the same front office we've had since 2005. I'm not saying he's terrible, but I am saying that this 'hiring' does not change anything. And I resent that they staged a little charade to make it look like they were changing the front office.

Yes, getting a new HC and QB could make things better. But I believe long term success is mostly based on the ability of the people in the front office. And this office, which is the same front office, has not shown that they have the ability to be successful.

• dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Cohn is spot on.

Jethro lied through his teeth, probably from beginning to the very end. How do we know what he is saying now is true. I mean he stood at a podium and lied right to the faces of the Bay Area media, wow.

If he has some kind of secret deal with Harbaugh in collusion with Baalke why not just keep his mouth shut and say something like; We will wait a while and make an announcement. In the mean time we are trying to do what's best for the Niners. Why not something like that.. instead of lying to us, media and the nation..

What an owner, crap....

Because then you guys would complain about how he isnt being proactive You know full well that wouldn't fly with the fan base.

I don't agree. I think if words like that were said and he accentuated the truthfulness of it; people would respect him for it, and give him some leeway.

See I'm thinking if they do have the HC wrapped in a nice Red & Gold bow,then it would only be a week max, then, and here is the kicker to me; he announces both hires at once, all smiles, he rips the media and us, and he comes out looking like he really has grown up. Don't you think?

Just writing that makes me feel pride in the organization, while right now, I do not..

And ughh, thsi would be the first ime for that in my 32+ years of hardcore Niner fanaticism.. except for maybe.. THE LAST 8 YEARS OF THE YORKS. eweee.. sorry for the CAPS!

all i can say is agree to disagree lol... we simply perceive the situation differently.

99% of the people agree with you.

Nice to have some unity here in the Zone.. It's damn hard to know what is going on at Niner HQ when Jed does stuff like this.. It is polarizing to say the least

GO NINERS!!!

What's going on is Jed doesn't know what he's doing. So he's lying to the media and fans to make it seem like he knows. But he's caught in the lies. And we are being set up for more cylce of FAIL.

EXACTLY
BOOO HOO HOO, Jed York lied to me, I haz a sadz...

Grow a f**king pair, you guys sound like a bunch of prepubescent little girls.

By the way Lowell Cohn is a terrible sportswriter.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I think a lot of people around here need to read 1984 and Animal Farm. You have to be able to tell when you're being bullsh!tted.

The issue here is not that Baalke sucks or doesn't suck. It's that the niners have sucked for 8+ years and since the Donahue firing have done almost nothing to change things. Every time they pretend to make a change they just shuffle around what they already have.

Baalke already was the GM (in reality, not title), and he was part of the management team under McCloughin. Hiring him is keeping the same front office we've had since 2005. I'm not saying he's terrible, but I am saying that this 'hiring' does not change anything. And I resent that they staged a little charade to make it look like they were changing the front office.

Yes, getting a new HC and QB could make things better. But I believe long term success is mostly based on the ability of the people in the front office. And this office, which is the same front office, has not shown that they have the ability to be successful.

How do you feel about our teams current personnel?
How do you feel about our ability to trade to get players?
Who expected this team to go to the playoffs, and why did they fail?
Would you say our team is more talented or lest talented:
from 2005 to now?
from 2009 to 2010?
How did you feel about the pick ups of Ginn, Spillman, Westbrook, Troy Smith (in comparison to Carr) , Reed, Laboy, and how did you feel about the draft?
Where is this teams problem? (Coaching)
I guess understand I can understand why everyone is butt hurt by Jed's lack of candor on the GM selection. I'm sure that everyone would feel a lot better if Jed had simply come out after firing Singletary and said that he decided that Harbaugh is the guy he wants and he needs a GM in place quickly before he can pull the trigger. Of course Harbaugh would probably have been pi$$ed about mentioning his name before his final game and would have never taken a meeting with the Niners.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
It's true.

This GM search was a sham.

they have to conduct a GM search, it's a league rule. they must abide by the rooney rule just like when they hire a head coach.

That's fine. But if you go by York's statements -" Jed York said on Dec. 27 he was going to conduct a nationwide search for a general manager, said he was going to find the best guy in the business." - and the acute necessity to find someone who would have a profound impact on breaking the culture of losing football that we have, Jed came up with an underwhelming choice by most reasonable criteria:

Past GM Experience - Baalke - NO
Proven track record - Ballke - NO
Comes from a winning organization - Baalke -NO
Coveted executive by other teams - Baalke - NO
Fresh set of eyes - Baalke -NO

Baalke may turn out to be the right choice. And he might not.

That's not the point. The point is, Jed York said he would go nationwide and get the best possible guy in the business. Promoting a virtual unknown, in house, from a losing organization, a guy who already works for you - goes against what you said and keeps in line with the same bad decisions that have plagued this franchise in the past decade.

Baalke is an up and comer and York might have thought if we don't hire this him someone else would

I'm just wary of a young inexperienced owner from a losing organization hiring a young inexperienced executive from the same losing organization.

And you should be...
Share 49ersWebzone