LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 181 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Baalke's hiring.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Once Hue Jackson interviews we can hire a new coach.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Who cares about Lowell Cohn's oppinion.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 5, 2011 at 04:23:03 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
DP

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 5, 2011 at 04:22:44 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2010 Draft.

1A) Anthony Davis - F. Worst RT I've ever seen. Worse than Kwame... We traded up to get this loser.

1B) Mike Iupati - A. Future Pro Bowler.

2) Taylor Mays - D. Lost in pass coverage.

3) Navarro Bowman - C. Maybe a future. We will see.

6A) Anthony Dixon - C. Preseason potential. Inconsistent regular season.

6B) Nate Byham - D. Don't see why we got another TE that we rarely use.

6C) Kyle Williams - F. Completely worthless...

7) Phillip Adams - C-. For where he was picked he's pretty decent. Needs work and develpment.

It's amazing how you have the ability to write-off so many players after their rookie season. I'm glad you aren't running the team.
I may be in the minority here, but I think Cohn makes some good points. I do not think Cohn was saying Baalke will fail, he simply said that the process was dishonest. I also agree that it may be difficult for Baalke to exercise the demons in the front office because he has been part of the front office for six years.

My big question that many of you have asked....it took up to the last week of the season to realize we need a GM? He should have been working on this all season. I find it difficult to believe Baalke is the best GM available.

Several have suggested that all we need is a GM and Harbaugh. I disagree. We need a complete change in our front office and to reconnect with our winning tradition. I does not matter who the coach is, or what players we have. Until we establish a solid organizational foundation and identity, we will always be saying "...we are just one draft away from being good..." or "if only we had player X, we could make it to the playoffs..."

I am so disappointed I do not know what to think.
2010 Draft.

1A) Anthony Davis - F. Worst RT I've ever seen. Worse than Kwame... We traded up to get this loser.

7) Phillip Adams - C-. For where he was picked he's pretty decent. Needs work and develpment.

Who died and made you talent evaluator?

All of these players were coached by arguably the worst coaching staff in football (pro and college). Some many turn out to be awful but at least the top 3 should become good players with decent coaching.
Originally posted by 190836:
Here it is and I agree with him.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110104/NEWS/110109826/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall

Why lets give Baalke a chance hell we gave Singletary one.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Folks, you're reading waaay too much into this: Jed knew who he wanted; he was simply trying to give the appearance of "plausibly" complying with the Rooney rule. And now he's doing the same thing with Hue Jackson for the coaching position.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bret:
Folks, you're reading waaay too much into this: Jed knew who he wanted; he was simply trying to give the appearance of "plausibly" complying with the Rooney rule. And now he's doing the same thing with Hue Jackson for the coaching position.

I think everyone is aware of that. What we're saying is interview Hue ASAP so we can hire Harbaugh ASAP.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
It's true.

This GM search was a sham.

they have to conduct a GM search, it's a league rule. they must abide by the rooney rule just like when they hire a head coach.

That's fine. But if you go by York's statements -" Jed York said on Dec. 27 he was going to conduct a nationwide search for a general manager, said he was going to find the best guy in the business." - and the acute necessity to find someone who would have a profound impact on breaking the culture of losing football that we have, Jed came up with an underwhelming choice by most reasonable criteria:

Past GM Experience - Baalke - NO
Proven track record - Ballke - NO
Comes from a winning organization - Baalke -NO
Coveted executive by other teams - Baalke - NO
Fresh set of eyes - Baalke -NO

Baalke may turn out to be the right choice. And he might not.

That's not the point. The point is, Jed York said he would go nationwide and get the best possible guy in the business. Promoting a virtual unknown, in house, from a losing organization, a guy who already works for you - goes against what you said and keeps in line with the same bad decisions that have plagued this franchise in the past decade.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
It's true.

they have to conduct a GM search, it's a league rule. they must abide by the rooney rule just like when they hire a head coach.

That's fine. But if you go by York's statements -" Jed York said on Dec. 27 he was going to conduct a nationwide search for a general manager, said he was going to find the best guy in the business." - and the acute necessity to find someone who would have a profound impact on breaking the culture of losing football that we have, Jed came up with an underwhelming choice by most reasonable criteria:

That's not the point. The point is, Jed York said he would go nationwide and get the best possible guy in the business. Promoting a virtual unknown, in house, from a losing organization, a guy who already works for you - goes against what you said and keeps in line with the same bad decisions that have plagued this franchise in the past decade.

Baalke was an up and comer name and York might have thought if we don't hire this guy someone else would
I don't see how Jed's process was dishonest. He started this search about 2 weeks ago. There were rumors that he reached out for advice from Parcells and the Kraft family in New England. It was also reported that the Webzone God Almighty Eddie D was a consultant.

It would be different if Jed hired Baalke without interviewing or consulting anyone else. So i'm going to refrain from getting my panties in a wad and withhold my b***hin until Baalke screws up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's true.

Baalke is an up and comer and York might have thought if we don't hire this him someone else would

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:42:38 ]
The problem, and I'm only guessing here, of looking for a GM during the regular season would be very distracting to the Team and the Coaching staff.

The media would wonder if the new GM would fire Singletary and bring in his own people, etc, etc.

I think Jed waited until the 11th hour to do what only could be done and FIRE Singletarty when he did and start the new GM search.
2010 Draft.

To call Davis worse than Kwame is just 100% wrong.

You simply forgot how bad Kwame was.
Share 49ersWebzone