Gore Selfish?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by zeke04:
6-10= he's selfish
10-6=he's a workhorse

LOL. When was this team 10-6 with Frank Gore as the featured back?

he's saying that since we're 6-10 he's seen as a selfish player.
and that if we were a 10-6 team instead he'd just be seen as the workhorse and nothing more.

And I'm saying we were never 10-6 with him as the featured guy even in his best year. In fact, in his best year, we were one game better, and he was considered a god. So the statement is not based on reality.

If Gore gets a selfish label it's because for all the touches he got, he didn't produce as much as he should have. And despite the lack of success, he still demanded more touches to pad his stats.

Not sure if this is fair^^^Gore in a lot of cases has been the only reason we've had an offense. Now with that said the morons runnin the show in 9erland since 2005 have probably leaned on him a bit too much using him as a crutch to cover the fact that they haven't the slightest clue of how to run an NFL offense in this century.

Every elite skill player wants the ball everytime because they think they can take it to the house everytime they touch the ball.

Martz was run out on a rail because he didn't subscribe to this horsesh t. If Singletary were a wise man he would have retained Martz and stayed the hell out of his way. Oh well who the hell cares? It's over now and we all get to see if Yorkie has learned anything about running a NFL football team.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Gore, Crabtree, Clements, these guys will be on the hot seat if a guy like Jim Harbaugh comes here as HC.

I think if Harbaugh comes it is great news for Crabtree, not so good for Gore and Clements ( he is probably gone anyways --unless he plays for a lot less money)
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Tolbert on KNBR brought up a story about Frank Gore being a selfish player.

He was reading a teammates comments regarding what Frank would say in the locker room right after a game. "How many yards did I get today?" in a selfish manner. Also a reason why Westbrook didn't see the field.

Does anyone know about this story? I have been trying to find links but no luck. I still doubt Frank would be about getting his before the team.

btw. i love Frank but i want more info.

Westbrook has done nothing better than Frank Gore since he's been given his chances. People have been whining about not seeing him all year, but they saw WHY Gore continued to get time over him. Aside from one nice catch-and-run and maybe 3 or 4 nice rushes, he's done nothing to brag about and absolutely nothing Gore couldn't have done.
Gore, Crabtree, Clements, these guys will be on the hot seat if a guy like Jim Harbaugh comes here as HC.

Wait,whaaaaaa doesnt he run a modified WCO? Gore and Crabs are your ideal WR and RB for that system. I think he would be licking his chops to work with them especially Crabs, and vise versa
Who cares, that's a great problem to have. Wish this team had more guys who want the ball in their hands all the time. Means they have a strong desire to win.

[ Edited by Schulzy on Jan 3, 2011 at 23:14:11 ]
ridiculous. a football player who wants to know his stats? get outta town! and for the guy who said harbaugh would put gore and crabtree on the hotseat, get real. they will probably draft an RB since Gore's hip and injury history are kinda serious and hes getting up there but gore will still be here and he will start. crabtree will flourish in harbaughs system if we get him. physical receiver who runs good routes and has good hands. a defenses worst nightmare in a WCO.
What Tolbert said was that the team was losing going into halftime and Gore was more interested in seeing how many yards he had accumulated at the half.

However, nothing was said about Gore's intentions. I mean, he could have wanted to see if the team was losing because he wasn't running the ball well and needed to see the stats.

In the other direction, this could also point directly to why no other running backs were getting reps because maybe Gore refuses to allow it.

I don't think it was Singletary at all because if it were, then Dixon would be getting all the reps as he's more of Sings style but Sing was perfectly fine with Dixon and Westbrook together.

yeah, arguably the best RB in 49ers history is going to be on the hot seat because he keeps track of his stats.

ive got some news for you guys...EVERY player in the NFL wants to touch the ball on every play, and EVERY player keeps track of his stats. most players wont admit to it, but they all keep track of stats. the better stats you put up, the more money youll get when you hit the market. its competitive human nature to keep track of how youre performing in something you put countless hours into.

everyone who has criticized Patrick Willis, Frank Gore, or Justin Smith in particular, arent even smart enough to point fingers at the right people. without those 3 guys our team is unbearable garbage the last 3 years. i hate when people nitpick the guys who have been holding this team up through all the horrible years, and giving it all into a team that continues to go nowhere.

our fanbase has developed such a low football IQ....instead of spotting our real problem areas like an attentive fan should, we have fans pinning Frank Gore as a "problem", and saying Patrick Willis isnt playing well enough to help us on D. Willis and his "down year" is going to be on another All-Pro team.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

LMAO

Nah. Gore will be used like he should be used. He is a great back. Sing loved running him into the dive hole. Harbaugh will hopefully use Gore like Norv Turner did and get Gore the ball in open space via the pass and more creative run plays.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I love how this is getting twisted to him wanting the ball and all RB's wanting the ball and all great one's wantting the ball. It has nothing to do with the damn ball.

It had to do with STATS. Him wanting his STATS. Westbrook not seeing the field because of Frank's STATS.

Originally posted by Niners99:

yeah, arguably the best RB in 49ers history is going to be on the hot seat because he keeps track of his stats.

ive got some news for you guys...EVERY player in the NFL wants to touch the ball on every play, and EVERY player keeps track of his stats. most players wont admit to it, but they all keep track of stats. the better stats you put up, the more money youll get when you hit the market. its competitive human nature to keep track of how youre performing in something you put countless hours into.

everyone who has criticized Patrick Willis, Frank Gore, or Justin Smith in particular, arent even smart enough to point fingers at the right people. without those 3 guys our team is unbearable garbage the last 3 years. i hate when people nitpick the guys who have been holding this team up through all the horrible years, and giving it all into a team that continues to go nowhere.

our fanbase has developed such a low football IQ....instead of spotting our real problem areas like an attentive fan should, we have fans pinning Frank Gore as a "problem", and saying Patrick Willis isnt playing well enough to help us on D. Willis and his "down year" is going to be on another All-Pro team.

this^^
The debate is one of intrinsic/extrinsic motivation, and what factors drive a competetor to want to be better than others.

Having said that, it doesn't really matter whether someone is considered selfish when they show that they are driven by extrinsic values to succeed. Players don't call the shots of who should be in on each play, and if they are influencing those decisions in a way that is detrimental to the team's success, then that is a coaching/management issue.
I don't see how wanting to know stats makes you selfish and not concerned about winning. I think you can care about how you're personally doing and still care about how the team is doing.

Even the biggest team players and those who love the sport are also looking out for themselves also. If that wasn't the case a lot of guys would be taking pay cuts so their teams can bring in more quality players and increase their chances of winning. And I don't blame them because this is their career and how they are making their money just as long as they keep it within reason there isn't a problem.

Him wanting the ball isn't a big deal also. Every position player wants the ball all the time and I've yet to see Gore holdout, call out the coaches, or create a big media frenzy if he doesn't get the ball enough.
Gore had all the carries because he consistently gains yards. Westbrook was new to the offense and was seen as a change of pace back. Dixon hasn't impressed much. If Gore was selfish his play did not show it. He blocked in the backfield and elsewhere better than the other backs and it is hard to take out the best, most effective player on the field.

Singletary should have overruled this and paced Gore a little to keep him fresh(er). Westbrook and Dixon would have been better and better and then Gore's injury would not have been as disconcerting. Westbrook did outplay Dixon, even in blocking.

Asking about stats is a habit with many RBs in the league and even high school. Coaches should discourage it as it can become overblown...like this thread.
Originally posted by krizay:
I love how this is getting twisted to him wanting the ball and all RB's wanting the ball and all great one's wantting the ball. It has nothing to do with the damn ball.

It had to do with STATS. Him wanting his STATS. Westbrook not seeing the field because of Frank's STATS.

You can't get STATS without getting the BALL.

And as I said earlier, Westbrook isn't as good as Frank Gore. Everyone wanted to see him and whined about him not getting the ball, but since Gore went down, Westbrook has done absolutely nothing Frank Gore couldn't have done. He's only had maybe a handful of good plays since Gore went down.

I don't give a damn if Gore was worried about his stats or not. The fact of the matter is when his stats look good, we have a much better shot at winning the game. Period. If he's concerned about his numbers, good.
Share 49ersWebzone