LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 160 users in the forums

Hear me out on this: But why Jim Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Shaj:
I like Harbaugh, but the fervor regarding him makes me very, very nervous. It's the same fervor that was everywhere when Sing got hired. There was irrational exuberance then, and there is irrational exuberance now regarding Harbaugh's experience and track record. If he had a different QB at the helm, do you think we'd even be talking about him? I don't think so...

co signed. Whenever the majority of fans get excited about something I get scared. Because the majority of fans are clueless. And the Yorks only care about making them happy.

Sometimes I think the fans here really do decide our fate. Maybe Jed just signs on to see who won in the poll, and then thats who he goes with

so i guess you are the loan bright spot among "the clueless fans"

well I would not say I am all aloan
  • obx49
  • Veteran
I am kind of uncomfortable with Harbaugh as well. I would want to take a wait and see approach until we have exhausted all avenues, and at the end of the day, make a decision based on how would the eventual head coach's philosophy fit with our current roster. That being said, my favorite is Jeff Fisher.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Harbaugh knows that it takes a top quarterback and creativity to succeed.
Originally posted by obx49:
I am kind of uncomfortable with Harbaugh as well. I would want to take a wait and see approach until we have exhausted all avenues, and at the end of the day, make a decision based on how would the eventual head coach's philosophy fit with our current roster. That being said, my favorite is Jeff Fisher.

jeff fisher blows. 6 playoff appearances in 16 years.
Not that I don't think he can be a good fit here, but just to play Devil's Advocate, but wasn't Steve Spurrier this same guy when he took the Redskins job?

1. Former NFL QB

2. Turned a program that was nothing at the time into a respectable National Championship contender

3. Was also noted for his genius "Fun and Gun" offensive mind while in college.

Sounds a lot like Jim and Spurriers embarrassing coaching run in Washington is why he couldn't get right back to a college sideline fast enough. There is no crystal ball to envision whether Harbaugh is the answer, but just as food for thought, is this team after the 3 prior disappointing coaches in need of the "hot shot" college coach who gets his first job trying to re-establish a once great franchise or would this team be better served looking for the proven commodity of an NFL experienced coach like Gruden or Fisher (if available)? Just my opinion.
Originally posted by kray28:
Never confuse success in college with success at the Pro level.

Not saying good college coaches can't do well in the Pros, but good college coach does not imply a good NFL coach. The converse however does seem to hold true. (Good NFL coaches tend to make good college coaches.)

Harbaugh has an impressive college resume, but zero experience as an NFL HC. He has some experience as an assistant.

I'd say that that rules him out, or at least makes him far from the slam dunk that that certain Bay Area homers are making him out to be. The responsibilities of an NFL head coach are very different than a college head coach. In college, recruiting is the big differentiator, and then you have Xs and Os. In the NFL, you largely have very little control over the talent you have, so X's and O's are often the differentiator.

If he was a coach of some big name school like Michigan, Ohio State, UT, Miami or some SEC school than I would agree with you. But he coaches at Stanford which has very high standards for a major conference Division 1A school. And before that he coached at a 1AA school that doesn't offer scholarships.

While I would have liked to see him have a few more years of NFL coaching experience, he does have two years experience as a QB coach in the NFL. It's not uncommon for coaches to start out as coaches in college before switching over to coaching in the NFL.

In summary, Haurbaugh has an NFL pedigree, isn't your usual college coach and is an imaginative offensive mind in a non-gimicky system. The thing I don't like is that he seems almost too contrived, with him being a Stanford coach and the recent articles where he talks about how much of an impact Bill Walsh had on him. Can lightning really strike twice? It could. but all this posturing really makes me a bit uneasy.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

I don't see the love with Fisher either. His teams always phase out when it matters most. He might be good with utilizing the talent he has, but nothing about him screams Super Bowl either.
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Not that I don't think he can be a good fit here, but just to play Devil's Advocate, but wasn't Steve Spurrier this same guy when he took the Redskins job?

1. Former NFL QB

2. Turned a program that was nothing at the time into a respectable National Championship contender

Sounds a lot like Jim and Spurriers embarrassing coaching run in Washington is why he couldn't get right back to a college sideline fast enough. There is no crystal ball to envision whether Harbaugh is the answer, but just as food for thought, is this team after the 3 prior disappointing coaches in need of the "hot shot" college coach who gets his first job trying to re-establish a once great franchise or would this team be better served looking for the proven commodity of an NFL experienced coach like Gruden or Fisher (if available)? Just my opinion.

exactly sometimes its where you have been that should limit your next choice.

We are not having any luck with rookie NFL HC's in recent years
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

1. Former NFL QB

lol. Harbaugh runs a much more pro-style offense than Spurrier's wackiness.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I like Harbaugh, but the fervor regarding him makes me very, very nervous. It's the same fervor that was everywhere when Sing got hired. There was irrational exuberance then, and there is irrational exuberance now regarding Harbaugh's experience and track record. If he had a different QB at the helm, do you think we'd even be talking about him? I don't think so...

1) It's not the same ferver as Sing. He was an idiot motivational speaker. I knew that and never bought it. Do you think Dingletary has even 1 clue about offense? Does he have even 1/2 of a clue about QB development. Comparing apples to oranges there. Not the same at all.

2) You assuem it's Luck. You can also say it's Harbaugh. He took nobody QB's here at University of San Diego and made them the absolute best at their level. Coincedence? I don't think so. Coaching and scheme matter too and an understanding of the QB position and QB development.

Was it Joe Montana or Bill Walsh? Is it the Chicken or the Egg? Or both? Walsh was the "genius" who implement the West Coast Offense. Believe it or not that had something to do with Montana's success too.

The truth is it's both. But I'll take my chances on a QB developer, innovative offensive mind and past Pro QB with understanding of those areas any day over a single brain cell LB thumper who doesn't even understand offense. There is no compairson between these 2. None.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 29, 2010 at 14:51:25 ]

1. Former NFL QB

Washington has been a mess for a while and no coach has done very good there. Gibbs did ok when he came back but even he could not keep it consistent. Since 1999 they have gone 86-105 and Snyder puts his nose where it doesn't belong.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

I believe he would do better with a fresh start on a new team. Also, I want the WCO offense back to where it belongs, hell, I would take Holmgren or Mornhinweg as well, just to bring back the WCO.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think it helps to look at 2 of the other top HC candidates out there.

Gruden: Took a team that Dungy assembled and rode them to the Super Bowl. Fired as HC of Tampa Bay after 7 seasons.
Holmgren: The team he built went to the Super Bowl once. He left on his own, but the team had a 4-12 season his final year.

Part of the problem of grabbing an experienced coach is that there is usually a reason why they are available, and it is rarely a good one. You are probably less likely to get an awful coach, but it is also unlikely that you will get a great one. The nice thing about Harbaugh, is you do have a chance at greatness. Sure, he could flame and burn, but he has done everything right so far in preparing a resume to be a Head Coach in the NFL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

1. Former NFL QB

DEAR GOD NO they are not the same at all
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
I think it helps to look at 2 of the other top HC candidates out there.

Gruden: Took a team that Dungy assembled and rode them to the Super Bowl. Fired as HC of Tampa Bay after 7 seasons.
Holmgren: The team he built went to the Super Bowl once. He left on his own, but the team had a 4-12 season his final year.

Part of the problem of grabbing an experienced coach is that there is usually a reason why they are available, and it is rarely a good one. You are probably less likely to get an awful coach, but it is also unlikely that you will get a great one. The nice thing about Harbaugh, is you do have a chance at greatness. Sure, he could flame and burn, but he has done everything right so far in preparing a resume to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

Quote:

I think you're forgetting his stint at Green Bay .
Share 49ersWebzone