There are 249 users in the forums

Hear me out on this: But why Jim Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I can understand your reasoning, but isn't the hiring of a HC somewhat of a crapshoot.

When you are able to take "inferior" talent (which means scholars and not just athletes) and beat teams that have "superior Athletes" that has to mean that you know how to develop a game plan.

Am I saying that Harbaugh is the 2nd coming of Christ (or Bill Walsh), no. However, he comes from a family that has been in the coaching business for some time. I say this because one of the reasons that Phillip Rivers has been so successful is that he was coached up. So was Elway, since his father was a Coach.

We have him as a potential candidate, but frankly I am not sure he would sign on with us if his Alma Mater gave him and offer he couldn't refuse.

The difference for me with Harbaugh is that he was an NFL QB, has NFL coaching experience (not a huge amount) and HC coaching experience at two levels in College that have been successful.

Well said. And forgive me for my poor knowledge of Stanford football, but Gerhart and Luck are no scholars, right? I mean, it wasn't just him coaching 'em up; so, he had some help.

Samurai Mike is an NFL HOF, who played, arguably, on the greatest defense ever. Granted, the great counter is that most often great players are not great coaches.

This is no hit on the SEC (as that is my favorite conference to watch (Go LSU)), but you just don't get into Stanford wthout a very good GPA. Stanford is considered the Ivy League of the West, so yes Luch and Gerhart were academics first, that had football talent.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by boast:
look at the stats you posted....every program he takes over, he turns around. plus, he does a great job at developing the QB position.

this is EXACTLY what the San Francisco 49ers football organization needs right now.

I'm NOT trying to say you're wrong, I ask out of ignorance, but who, aside from Luck, are you referring to?

(and if that's the criteria why not hire Jeff Tedford?)

Josh Johnson at San Diego St.

So a guy that hasn't played a down yet in the NFL, and a backup that's completed 77 passes in his three seasons in the NFL? I don't know if that's a track record for doing a great job at developing QB's. That's not to say he can't or won't, I just think that part of his resume is way overblown (at this point).

The fact that Johnson even made it to an NFL roster from San Diego State as a QB has to say something. I see a whole lot of guys who started in the Big 10, Big 12 and even the SEC who don't make rosters in the NFL.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I like Harbaugh, but the fervor regarding him makes me very, very nervous. It's the same fervor that was everywhere when Sing got hired. There was irrational exuberance then, and there is irrational exuberance now regarding Harbaugh's experience and track record. If he had a different QB at the helm, do you think we'd even be talking about him? I don't think so...
I guess because picking a new coach isn't an exact science, and he appears to have one of the top resumes available. As far as fit for the 49ers:

1. He's already living in the area, means less family uprooting.
2. The Bill Walsh connection.
3. Offensive minded.
4. History of developing quarterbacks.

Everything is a crapshoot, he might end up like Mike Nolan, but for now his resume and fit for the 49ers is evident.

The only caveat I might put on his Stanford years is that having a prospect of Andrew Luck's caliber really makes you as a coach look good. Perhaps better than you really are.

One option for Harbaugh could be to take the Carolina job and Luck with him.
Originally posted by AZZ:
what about Gary Kubiak...Walsh guy..great offensive mind. I am starting to like it.

Kubiak ? The Texans have quit on him
Originally posted by Shaj:
I like Harbaugh, but the fervor regarding him makes me very, very nervous. It's the same fervor that was everywhere when Sing got hired. There was irrational exuberance then, and there is irrational exuberance now regarding Harbaugh's experience and track record. If he had a different QB at the helm, do you think we'd even be talking about him? I don't think so...

Sing and Harbaugh are too completely different coaches with different backgrounds. After last year though, I have learned to bite my tongue and chew on it for awhile. Too many factors give me hope with this guy. Too good to be true? Maybe. Only time will tell. My concern is not getting him after being teased with the prospect and another team (like the Cowboys) getting him and having success. Don't want to be left in the dust another year.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I guess because picking a new coach isn't an exact science, and he appears to have one of the top resumes available. As far as fit for the 49ers:

1. He's already living in the area, means less family uprooting.
2. The Bill Walsh connection.
3. Offensive minded.
4. History of developing quarterbacks.

Everything is a crapshoot, he might end up like Mike Nolan, but for now his resume and fit for the 49ers is evident.

The only caveat I might put on his Stanford years is that having a prospect of Andrew Luck's caliber really makes you as a coach look good. Perhaps better than you really are.

One option for Harbaugh could be to take the Carolina job and Luck with him.

Or the Cowboys Job

Maybe you don't watch Stanford, but even before Luck, Harbaugh was making apparent positive strides. For one, he took a pathetic group, and was able to march into SoCal, and beat USC.

I get where you're coming from with Sing, but I don't think it's a remotely similar situation. Sing was never a coordinator, and his appeal was based on his charisma, as well as that he was willing to make the changes that Nolan wasn't. Harbaugh's appeal come from his track record of improving programs, having a killer instinct, having a creative offense, and this all along with his previous work in the NFL.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 29, 2010 at 14:18:23 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Offensive minded.
~ Excellent QB developer.
~ Wins everywhere he goes.

~ Pro experience as a QB. Not a singlecell LB...
~ Innovative strategist.
~ Hottest HC prospect out there.

Don't worry. I doubt we get him anyway. Other teams will offer. He may not want to work for the Yorks.

Those two do it for me. The fact that, after excelling at USD, he was able to have such an impact at Stanford shows that he is able take his game up a notch when the level of competition goes up. As others have said, he took a 1-11 Stanford team and slowly but surely made them one of the best teams in the country, improving every year.

There are pros and cons about just about every candidate. I think his combination of pros outweighs really his only Con - no NFL HC experience.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Never confuse success in college with success at the Pro level.

Not saying good college coaches can't do well in the Pros, but good college coach does not imply a good NFL coach. The converse however does seem to hold true. (Good NFL coaches tend to make good college coaches.)

Harbaugh has an impressive college resume, but zero experience as an NFL HC. He has some experience as an assistant.

I'd say that that rules him out, or at least makes him far from the slam dunk that that certain Bay Area homers are making him out to be. The responsibilities of an NFL head coach are very different than a college head coach. In college, recruiting is the big differentiator, and then you have Xs and Os. In the NFL, you largely have very little control over the talent you have, so X's and O's are often the differentiator.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Offensive minded.
~ Excellent QB developer.
~ Wins everywhere he goes.

~ Pro experience as a QB. Not a singlecell LB...
~ Innovative strategist.
~ Hottest HC prospect out there.

Don't worry. I doubt we get him anyway. Other teams will offer. He may not want to work for the Yorks.

Those two do it for me. The fact that, after excelling at USD, he was able to have such an impact at Stanford shows that he is able take his game up a notch when the level of competition goes up. As others have said, he took a 1-11 Stanford team and slowly but surely made them one of the best teams in the country, improving every year.

There are pros and cons about just about every candidate. I think his combination of pros outweighs really his only Con - no NFL HC experience.

Well if we dont get Jim Harbaugh, we will get an NFL assistant, so if we are able to get Harbaugh at lest he will have the experience of being a head coach.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by AZZ:
what about Gary Kubiak...Walsh guy..great offensive mind. I am starting to like it.

Not every apple falling from the Walsh tree is good to eat. Not saying that anything is wrong with Kubiak but we've gotten into a habit of assuming that any fruit that fall from the Walsh coaching will be like the tree it's self. The same goes for Coaches that coach at the same college that Walsh coached at.

I just want the organization to be intelligent about the whole process.

True. Case in point see Dennis Green.

co signed. Whenever the majority of fans get excited about something I get scared. Because the majority of fans are clueless. And the Yorks only care about making them happy.

Sometimes I think the fans here really do decide our fate. Maybe Jed just signs on to see who won in the poll, and then thats who he goes with
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by danimal:

co signed. Whenever the majority of fans get excited about something I get scared. Because the majority of fans are clueless. And the Yorks only care about making them happy.

Sometimes I think the fans here really do decide our fate. Maybe Jed just signs on to see who won in the poll, and then thats who he goes with

GM: Anal
HC: your mom

i'm down!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:

so i guess you are the loan bright spot among "the clueless fans"
Share 49ersWebzone