LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

MJ's Presser explains the QB change more

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by susweel:
Raye Jr can go to hell.

You can call him that but I would like to see what he can do. He has a nice background that includes some very interesting study of what some of the best new offenses are doing. He has changed quite a few things about the offense since he took over.

We will never find out for certain but I believe Troy and Sing have been holding him in. I would like to see if he comes out and really shows some nice stuff on Sunday. It will be a do-or-die time for Alex and it might be something of the same thing for Mike Johnson. I want to see what he can do.

If Alex doesn't learn the possibilities of this offense that Troy displayed, then Alex is officially the b***hiest QB I have ever witnessed. Dude who knows ten passing plays makes the deep ball work tells me Alex better f**ken find the deep open receivers.

THIS! During the time he was on the bench watching Troy, I HOPE he at least came away with two things. 1) Pull the trigger on the deep ball and put it in a spot where your WR can at least make a play on the ball. 2) Use your athletic ability to extend some of these plays behind the offensive line. Don't be so quick to get outside the pocket and throw it away, keep your eyes down field and trust your speed against those D-linemen. If you see nothing available, shift your eyes in front of you and see if you can AT LEAST pick up positive yards by running. If not, THEN throw the ball away. Just don't give up so soon is all I'm asking
Originally posted by backontop:
Johnson was proven correct in Alexs earlier starts under him that the deep plays were called. Alex never pulled the trigger. His arm may as well be as strong as Hills if he ain't going to throw the damn ball.

He also didn't have the time in the pocket to actually work through his progressions. If you recall he was pretty much running for his life on every play(notice I said practically so please don't give me some BS about oh on this one play he had all day bla bla bla) Alex Smith was at the time of his injury the most hit and hurried QB in the league. I am not sure if he still holds that wonderful statistic. His ability to take what the defense gave him ie. the check down to Gore is what kept him from having outragious sack numbers. Troy Smith on the other hand did not have that ability. Troy Smith took 3 more sacks in 3 less games than Alex Smith.

I already broke down one game having watched it three times with a back and forth with oldman and Alexs big problem is pocket awareness. He refuses to shift to the cushion of the pocket. In that game, there were multiple times when he had a three yard cushion to hist front, right, back but decided to stay put and be "pressured" by the end to his left where a slight shift would have allowed staley to push the end ou further. Troy Smith showed much better pocket awareness an movemen within the pocket to extend the plays. His problem was that he'd try to extend it too long. Winding give this speal abot Alex and pressure. A lot of it is self inflicted as are Troy Smiths sack numbers.
Johnson was proven correct in Alexs earlier starts under him that the deep plays were called. Alex never pulled the trigger. His arm may as well be as strong as Hills if he ain't going to throw the damn ball.

He also didn't have the time in the pocket to actually work through his progressions. If you recall he was pretty much running for his life on every play(notice I said practically so please don't give me some BS about oh on this one play he had all day bla bla bla) Alex Smith was at the time of his injury the most hit and hurried QB in the league. I am not sure if he still holds that wonderful statistic. His ability to take what the defense gave him ie. the check down to Gore is what kept him from having outragious sack numbers. Troy Smith on the other hand did not have that ability. Troy Smith took 3 more sacks in 3 less games than Alex Smith.

I already broke down one game having watched it three times with a back and forth with oldman and Alexs big problem is pocket awareness. He refuses to shift to the cushion of the pocket. In that game, there were multiple times when he had a three yard cushion to hist front, right, back but decided to stay put and be "pressured" by the end to his left where a slight shift would have allowed staley to push the end ou further. Troy Smith showed much better pocket awareness an movemen within the pocket to extend the plays. His problem was that he'd try to extend it too long. Winding give this speal abot Alex and pressure. A lot of it is self inflicted as are Troy Smiths sack numbers.

Pocket awareness? If Alex "shifts" forward he usually gets sacked by who ever is in front of Rachal. If he shifts anywhere in the pocket he gets sacked. There was nowhere for him to "shift" to on many occasions. Let's take the PHL game, last play, where should Alex have shifted then? Oh that's right when the defense is in your face before you even complete your 3-5-7 step drop it's kind of hard to "shift" I don't know how many times I have counted less than 3 seconds before Smith was running for his life. You don't become the most hit and hurried QB because you don't "shift" forward into a non existent pocket.

Pocket awareness? If Alex "shifts" forward he usually gets sacked by who ever is in front of Rachal. If he shifts anywhere in the pocket he gets sacked. There was nowhere for him to "shift" to on many occasions. Let's take the PHL game, last play, where should Alex have shifted then? Oh that's right when the defense is in your face before you even complete your 3-5-7 step drop it's kind of hard to "shift" I don't know how many times I have counted less than 3 seconds before Smith was running for his life. You don't become the most hit and hurried QB because you don't "shift" forward into a non existent pocket.

If Alex would of felt that pressure in the Philly game and, knowing he has a slow release, held on to the ball and just took a 4 yard sack, we would of lived to see another play instead of him trying to hurry up and get rid of that ball. Hindsight is 20/20 but awareness in the pocket is a MUST if you are a starting QB in the NFL and Alex does not have it. PERIOD
Originally posted by Sims84:

If Alex would of felt that pressure in the Philly game and, knowing he has a slow release, held on to the ball and just took a 4 yard sack, we would of lived to see another play instead of him trying to hurry up and get rid of that ball. Hindsight is 20/20 but awareness in the pocket is a MUST if you are a starting QB in the NFL and Alex does not have it. PERIOD

If Alex Smith had an OLine that could actually provide protection we would have lived to see another play. You can't put poor protection on the QB. Alex Smith saw an open receiver and tried to hit him. Anthony Davis's soft ass is the one who should be to blame on that play, not Alex Smith. But once again the everything wrong in the world is Alex Smith's fault comes into play.

The front of our OL has been blocking very well. If you haven't been aware, most of the pressures this year has been from the edges. Our OL has had it's bad games but it has been up and down with some damn good games. Alex Smith has terrible pocket awareness and RARELY shifts in the pocket. There's a reason why Troy was able to drop back move a little and get four seconds. So you're saying our OL only now started blocking well. Most QBs understand how to avoid the initial pressure except Alex. Defenses also know that the initial pressure isn't the most important.
Originally posted by Sims84:

If Alex Smith had an OLine that could actually provide protection we would have lived to see another play. You can't put poor protection on the QB. Alex Smith saw an open receiver and tried to hit him. Anthony Davis's soft ass is the one who should be to blame on that play, not Alex Smith. But once again the everything wrong in the world is Alex Smith's fault comes into play.

No, it is NOT all his fault but what I'm saying is, because I'm not an Alex Smith HOMER, is if he had any awareness (pocket or gametime) then he would of just took that sack for a mere 4 yards and got up quickly and ran another play. If it is not there in a 2 minute offense, DONT FORCE IT. We were already in Philly territory, all we needed to do was find a way to get a few more yards and try a game tying FG. Instead, Anthony Davis's piss poor blocking led to Alex Smith feeling uncertain and just heaving one up there. Bad business. You need to get past your Alex Smith homerism and realize he just doesn't have that "IT" factor. The coaching staff and poor offensive play is just as much to blame but when the season is on the line and you have high expectations, the QB is going to take the blame. It is like that with ANY FOOTBALL TEAM and just like when they pile on enormous stats with the help of a running game and receivers making great plays, they get awarded with the MVP trophies. Get over it

The front of our OL has been blocking very well. If you haven't been aware, most of the pressures this year has been from the edges. Our OL has had it's bad games but it has been up and down with some damn good games. Alex Smith has terrible pocket awareness and RARELY shifts in the pocket. There's a reason why Troy was able to drop back move a little and get four seconds. So you're saying our OL only now started blocking well. Most QBs understand how to avoid the initial pressure except Alex. Defenses also know that the initial pressure isn't the most important.

the front of the line? No David Baas and Iupati have been performing well. Staley, Rachal and Davis have been complete garbage! And the last time I checked the RG being Chilo Rachal is in the middle of the line.

the front of the line? No David Baas and Iupati have been performing well. Staley, Rachal and Davis have been complete garbage! And the last time I checked the RG being Chilo Rachal is in the middle of the line.

Racial has had up and down games. One week he plays well and the next he has his issues. However, Alex hasn't taken advantage when the front three play well. Troy Smith was very good at stepping up and over. Alex rarely moves from his last step in his drop.

Honestly, I think Alex will attemptmthe deeper throws but his innacuracy will once again be his downfall making another game "on the receivers".

Racial has had up and down games. One week he plays well and the next he has his issues. However, Alex hasn't taken advantage when the front three play well. Troy Smith was very good at stepping up and over. Alex rarely moves from his last step in his drop.

Honestly, I think Alex will attemptmthe deeper throws but his innacuracy will once again be his downfall making another game "on the receivers".

Alex is probably more accurate in deeper throws than any other throw. He is no doubt more accurate than Troy Smith. But like every QB he will have some off target throws. Just look at some of the elite QB's in the league. They all have over/under thrown balls.

Alex is probably more accurate in deeper throws than any other throw. He is no doubt more accurate than Troy Smith. But like every QB he will have some off target throws. Just look at some of the elite QB's in the league. They all have over/under thrown balls.

We always mentioned that how come our receivers don't make acrobatic catches. Those other QBs including Troy Smith still place an innaurate throw where the receivers have a chance to make these types of catches. Alex is either spot on or huge miss. He is the exact definition of an inaccurate QB.

We always mentioned that how come our receivers don't make acrobatic catches. Those other QBs including Troy Smith still place an innaurate throw where the receivers have a chance to make these types of catches. Alex is either spot on or huge miss. He is the exact definition of an inaccurate QB.

most QB's in the league are hit or miss on deep passes. The longer the pass the harder it is to throw an accurate pass.

most QB's in the league are hit or miss on deep passes. The longer the pass the harder it is to throw an accurate pass.

I think you are underestimating my definition of miss in relation to Alex Smith.

I think you are underestimating my definition of miss in relation to Alex Smith.

I think you are making it more complicated than what it is. I have seen Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodger and just about every other QB in the league miss receivers by multiple yards on deep passes. It happens, not every single deep pass is going to be a drop in the basket. That is why receivers have to make adjustments.
on the actual game blog here on Sunday---if I see Alex roll to the right --get chased to the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds--all i will type is:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!
Share 49ersWebzone