LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 15)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
This game will be a good test for Norv Turner to see if he can motivate his troop. Even though they know they need to pretty much win out if they are going to have a chance at home field advantage, after us they play Cincy and then Denver. There is just one big softball after another. It is often hard for teams to get up for that, and if there is one thing that typifies SD this season is their up-and-down run through the schedule.

The Chargers come off a dominant win over a tough division rival and face a team that has not done well and do it on a short week. It is a typical game that will trip a team if they are not in full control. It would be a surprise, but not a big one, if this game is a close one, and a winnable one for the 49ers.

Both teams are coming off dominant wins over division rivals, the team that can get up best for this game will win it. SD has the talent advantage but that is not always what wins the game.

Still 27-24 Chargers on a Nate Keading FG as time expires.

OH, NO! I didn't just say that...
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
throw the ball to crabtree and crabtree catch the damn ball

Nope Crabtree will continue what he always does when Alex is in there.

Tips it up into the air, resulting in a pick.

That's why Vernon will have a big game. He needs to average 86 yards over the next 3 games to get 1000 yards, anyone think he can do it?

Chargers are typically bad at defending TE's. Which is why I believe Delanie and Vernon will both have huge games
the game plan should be to try and shut down gates....rivers is very good against the blitz so i think we should just sit back in coverage and blitz occasionally.
Originally posted by epdavis:
I want this win more than any other game this yr. cause my brother is a huge SD fan & nothing ruins the holidays like a fist fight right before Christmas . Honestly I think them losing to Oakland was the worst thing possible for us cause it killed any chance of SD having a letdown or overlooking us, I expect it to get ugly

Bing Bing Bing! We have a winner. I would not classify the Bolts a 'yo-yo' team - they are very close to #1 in offense and easily #1 in defense. They lost 5 games early on directly to special teams, which they have since corrected and look good in. They have had one bad game all year where they were outeverythinged - and that was 2 weeks ago against Oakland. Look how they responded yesterday. I like the Niners and think they have some excellent players, but thursday will NOT be their day, especially if they are counting on a Bolts team that is "overlooking" them. Oakland assured them that that will not happen again.

BTW, they have won 5 of the last 6, and aside from losing to the Pats on a last second field goal and the Oakland debacle, have beaten the other 5 opponents at home by an average of 36-13.
Originally posted by SeattleSun:
I want this win more than any other game this yr. cause my brother is a huge SD fan & nothing ruins the holidays like a fist fight right before Christmas . Honestly I think them losing to Oakland was the worst thing possible for us cause it killed any chance of SD having a letdown or overlooking us, I expect it to get ugly

Bing Bing Bing! We have a winner. I would not classify the Bolts a 'yo-yo' team - they are very close to #1 in offense and easily #1 in defense. They lost 5 games early on directly to special teams, which they have since corrected and look good in. They have had one bad game all year where they were outeverythinged - and that was 2 weeks ago against Oakland. Look how they responded yesterday. I like the Niners and think they have some excellent players, but thursday will NOT be their day, especially if they are counting on a Bolts team that is "overlooking" them. Oakland assured them that that will not happen again.

BTW, they have won 5 of the last 6, and aside from losing to the Pats on a last second field goal and the Oakland debacle, have beaten the other 5 opponents at home by an average of 36-13.

Good! Another challenge.
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Just looking at some stats. We are going from playing the 30th ranked pass defense in Seattle (at home) to playing the number 1 ranked pass defense in SD (on the road).
SD is also the number one ranked defense in the NFL this season, Seattle number 30th.

SD is the number 2 ranked offense in the NFL, the Niners 23rd. Also, ranked 2nd in passing.

This is a lopsided matchup.

Those numbers are skewed SD defense is average at best the numbers look good because they have not given up a ton of yards because the special teams play has been bad giving opposing teams good field position. But this unit is far from dominant.

This is correct - the first 7 games. However, overall the team has allowed 5 blocks and 3 returns, thus negating 8 drives for the opposing offense. Since the D averages 25 yards given up per drive roughly, that would equate to about 15-20 YPG more over the last 13 the defense would have given up had the ST been perfect. That would still be #1 in the NFL.

In summary, you can tell yourself what you want, but the Chargers defense is REALLY solid.

Oh, BTW, they held the Pats to 179 net yards, their lowest output of the season. This was on of their (Bolts) worst games at home.
[ Edited by SeattleSun on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
This game will be a good test for Norv Turner to see if he can motivate his troop. Even though they know they need to pretty much win out if they are going to have a chance at home field advantage, after us they play Cincy and then Denver. There is just one big softball after another. It is often hard for teams to get up for that, and if there is one thing that typifies SD this season is their up-and-down run through the schedule.

The Chargers come off a dominant win over a tough division rival and face a team that has not done well and do it on a short week. It is a typical game that will trip a team if they are not in full control. It would be a surprise, but not a big one, if this game is a close one, and a winnable one for the 49ers.

Both teams are coming off dominant wins over division rivals, the team that can get up best for this game will win it. SD has the talent advantage but that is not always what wins the game.

Still 27-24 Chargers on a Nate Keading FG as time expires.

OH, NO! I didn't just say that...

I have a feeling we will see another repeat of the Saints game. Offense will come through again and put us in a position to win...then defense lets us down.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by SeattleSun:

Good! Another challenge.
If the Niners win, I dont care what their record is - they should feel deserving of a playoff spot.
give us the underdog status, we play better with little or no expectation.
I don't think it will be a blow out like some posters here, but the reason why I believe the Niners will lose this game is because Philip Rivers has the skills necessary to pick apart the weakness of this defense.

The Raiders were able to defeat the Chargers using tight man-to-man coverage, and getting pressure with a 4 man rush.

The Niners defense will play zone, and scheme the pressure on Rivers, which plays into Rivers strengths.

Bring Rivers down like the roof of the metrodome.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Bring Rivers down like the roof of the metrodome.

And FK! Norv Turner as well!!
facing the top ranked D in the NFL and the 2nd ranked offense....thursday night will be a challenge to say the least...if sunday was our best game of the season, then we have to put together 4qtrs of lights out football in all three phases w/o any coachings errors in order to have even a slight chance
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by daWest:
facing the top ranked D in the NFL and the 2nd ranked offense....thursday night will be a challenge to say the least...if sunday was our best game of the season, then we have to put together 4qtrs of lights out football in all three phases w/o any coachings errors in order to have even a slight chance

So basically there is no chance.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by daWest:

So basically there is no chance.

I didn't know they had the #1 defense.
Share 49ersWebzone