LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. San Diego Chargers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Singletary is incompetent, plain and simple. That doesn't mean he's a bad person. It just means he has no business being a head coach -- any where. As long as he's the HC he will continue pushing buttons and pulling knobs and turning dials. He doesn't know what any of those controls are for or what messing with them does. But it's all he knows how to to and he thinks it equates to being in control. In reality, all that messing around with knobs, dials, and buttons is just making things worse. The only recourse at this point is to push the "reset" button and get back to a clean configuration state. It also means getting him and his staff the hell out of the building as soon as is practical.
Maybe he should pull himself in the next game.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by bracus:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I didn't even watch the game because I was at work, but I heard Alex Smith sucked balls.

He was about #20 in the line of reasons why they 49ers lost tonight. They were just outplayed and outcoached by a much better team. Smith had no chance against the Charger defense. They covered everything and gave him very little time to throw.

#20? Wow
Just for fun, let me count them for you.

1 thru 5 - OL

6-9 - DBs

10-11 - OLBs

12-14 - Ginn, Crabtree and Morgan - no separation albeit against a very good secondary

15 - Justin Smith brain lock to draw a penalty for failing to control his emotions

16- Franklin the invisible man

17-19 - Singletary, Mike Johnson, Manusky

20 - Alex Smith

That's just goes to show you how much this game was a team loss.

I see you have 10-11 for OLB. And that's two-fold:

1) No pass rush
2) Brooks' dropped INT deep in their territory (almost got a second one too)

And I agree with the OL. Very bad game for them.

1) Davis again giving up 2 sacks
2) Sims giving up a sack
3) Iupati and Sims blocking the same guy on the 4th and inch play to cause the LB to stuff Dixon for a loss.

The main knock I have on Smith is how he didn't dive with the ball on that 3rd down run. He could have easily hit the pylon with the ball, but if you look at the play in slow motion, you can see that once he dives, he closes his eyes. Another thing with him is his short passes are way too high. When he does that, he gives ZERO chance for his players to do something with the ball because their too occupied trying to tame his passes.

Other than that, SD played a really good game on defense and didn't allow anything. I bet they gameplanned against Davis and Crabtree, and the executed to a tee. And it may be the reason Morgan did as well as he did. They figure, they can overcome anything that Morgan produces.

And the coaches....

I thought MJ did ok, but the fact that he didn't adjust mid-game just goes to show you how inexperienced he is.

Manusky needs to quit playing that soft zone shell because the Defense is getting eaten up. Yes I know that it works great against the run, but the Chargers are a passing team and he should've game planned more. Clements on Jacskon? Please put a more physically equal CB like Spencer on him.

Singletary showed how much he can lose it during the game when he kicked his own challenge flag. That, I thought was immature. He got all of the players all emotional and not playing well, he needs to be the most composed person on the sideline. When the team is as young as they are and inexperienced in being a good winning football team, he needs to be the one to act like a professional.

Don't get me wrong I'm still cheering my a** off the next 2 weeks, but come off season, CLEAN HOUSE
Wasn't this thread started yesterday?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Wasn't this thread started yesterday?

it started 6 yrs ago
I don't think Troy would have added too much to the game. This was a complete team loss and not to knock on Troy, but SD had our number regardless.
Just trying to pass the blame on to someone else...

"it wasn't my s**tty game plan or coaching that did it. My player's just couldn't execute it."

Very Nolan-esque.
Sing is blind as a bat and stubborn as all get out.

Alex didn't play great but he got zero help from, OC play calling, zero wr seperation, wr dropping a deep ball early in the game, which could have built Mo and some of the worst pass protection of the year.

He should pull himself and let the team draw up plays in the dirt and we'd be better off!
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Seems to me this was a "total team effort", as the players like to say. OL, QB, DL, Secondary. Dropped passes, dropped interceptions, penalties on a return for a TD and on and on.

We play incredibly stupid football. Stupid coaches; stupid players.

I think the only bright spots in last nights game were Spikes and Willis. The 2 guys with 1 good hand each played the best. How horrible is that
  • dj43
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I didn't even watch the game because I was at work, but I heard Alex Smith sucked balls.

He was about #20 in the line of reasons why they 49ers lost tonight. They were just outplayed and outcoached by a much better team. Smith had no chance against the Charger defense. They covered everything and gave him very little time to throw.

#20? Wow

1 thru 5 - OL

6-9 - DBs

10-11 - OLBs

12-14 - Ginn, Crabtree and Morgan - no separation albeit against a very good secondary

15 - Justin Smith brain lock to draw a penalty for failing to control his emotions

20 - Alex Smith

1) No pass rush

2) Sims giving up a sack
3) Iupati and Sims blocking the same guy on the 4th and inch play to cause the LB to stuff Dixon for a loss.

The main knock I have on Smith is how he didn't dive with the ball on that 3rd down run. He could have easily hit the pylon with the ball, but if you look at the play in slow motion, you can see that once he dives, he closes his eyes. Another thing with him is his short passes are way too high. When he does that, he gives ZERO chance for his players to do something with the ball because their too occupied trying to tame his passes.

Other than that, SD played a really good game on defense and didn't allow anything. I bet they gameplanned against Davis and Crabtree, and the executed to a tee. And it may be the reason Morgan did as well as he did. They figure, they can overcome anything that Morgan produces.

And the coaches....

I thought MJ did ok, but the fact that he didn't adjust mid-game just goes to show you how inexperienced he is.

Manusky needs to quit playing that soft zone shell because the Defense is getting eaten up. Yes I know that it works great against the run, but the Chargers are a passing team and he should've game planned more. Clements on Jacskon? Please put a more physically equal CB like Spencer on him.

Singletary showed how much he can lose it during the game when he kicked his own challenge flag. That, I thought was immature. He got all of the players all emotional and not playing well, he needs to be the most composed person on the sideline. When the team is as young as they are and inexperienced in being a good winning football team, he needs to be the one to act like a professional.

Don't get me wrong I'm still cheering my a** off the next 2 weeks, but come off season, CLEAN HOUSE
Good insight.

I'll add a couple of comments.

I fully agree with Singletary's need to maintain his composure. He lost it at a very bad time. His team also lost it following his blowup. That is just bad personal discipline.

Smith has a tendency to throw the ball high. He needs to correct that. However, there are two things I have noticed on many of his short passes that go high.

1. The OL does not appear to have been coached on pass protection to drive into the mid-section of the DL to force them to keep their hands down to protect themselves. This is critical to create good passing lanes. The result is that Alex has to throw the ball higher to get over the DL hands. Troy, being short, didn't even attempt to throw short middle passes.

2. Alex needs to lengthen his strides a bit on this 3-step drop. It is like he is only getting back 2 1/2 steps. This compounds the problem of the OL. If he were back just a bit more, he would have enough room to get the ball down where it needs to be. So if an amateur on the internet can see that, where is the position coach who should see it and make the correction?

Again, the finger is pointing directly at the coaching staff.

Theres only 4 WRs on the active roster and ones a returner....who does that in modern football? Returners could get hurt anytime.. He refuses to have a backup plan. Why does he keep talking about pulling QBs and no one else. Theres at least 3 starters who couldnt start anywhere else on an NFL roster. Chilo couldnt hack it in the UFL. He really sucks and is slowing the development of the entire line. Chilo and SIng can be butt buddies elsewhere.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Theres only 4 WRs on the active roster and ones a returner....who does that in modern football? Returners could get hurt anytime.. He refuses to have a backup plan. Why does he keep talking about pulling QBs and no one else. Theres at least 3 starters who couldnt start anywhere else on an NFL roster. Chilo couldnt hack it in the UFL. He really sucks and is slowing the development of the entire line. Chilo and SIng can be butt buddies elsewhere.

hey! "Smash Mouth" teams need 4 active tight ends!
Originally posted by eahudson49:
Singletary is incompetent, plain and simple. That doesn't mean he's a bad person. It just means he has no business being a head coach -- any where. As long as he's the HC he will continue pushing buttons and pulling knobs and turning dials. He doesn't know what any of those controls are for or what messing with them does. But it's all he knows how to to and he thinks it equates to being in control. In reality, all that messing around with knobs, dials, and buttons is just making things worse. The only recourse at this point is to push the "reset" button and get back to a clean configuration state. It also means getting him and his staff the hell out of the building as soon as is practical.

Damn. Thats a good as explanation. Nuff said
Originally posted by FourNine49:

#20? Wow

1 thru 5 - OL

6-9 - DBs

10-11 - OLBs

20 - Alex Smith

1) No pass rush

2) Sims giving up a sack

And the coaches....

Good insight.

I'll add a couple of comments.

I fully agree with Singletary's need to maintain his composure. He lost it at a very bad time. His team also lost it following his blowup. That is just bad personal discipline.

Smith has a tendency to throw the ball high. He needs to correct that. However, there are two things I have noticed on many of his short passes that go high.

1. The OL does not appear to have been coached on pass protection to drive into the mid-section of the DL to force them to keep their hands down to protect themselves. This is critical to create good passing lanes. The result is that Alex has to throw the ball higher to get over the DL hands. Troy, being short, didn't even attempt to throw short middle passes.

2. Alex needs to lengthen his strides a bit on this 3-step drop. It is like he is only getting back 2 1/2 steps. This compounds the problem of the OL. If he were back just a bit more, he would have enough room to get the ball down where it needs to be. So if an amateur on the internet can see that, where is the position coach who should see it and make the correction?

Again, the finger is pointing directly at the coaching staff.

I agree.

The thing this team needs is leadership. And it has to come from someone other than Singletary. When you pass by billboards or see 49er posters up, who do you see? SINGLETARY. Yes he's a great motivator but he can't be the team's face.

It doesn't help that the our best offensive player (Gore) and best defensive player (Willis) are not natural born leaders. You need a leader that is going to be the most vocal and inspirational, but also has the play to back it up.

When times are tough and you're behind in the game on the road, on national television, you need someone to step up and make a play. Last night, no one dide anything game changing
Sorry guys I hate to take this route, but that was some of the most obvious, horrendous, biased officiating I have seen in a while.

Yes we stunk it up, no doubt, but a lot of momentum, motivation and focus is lost when you have some BS call.

IMO the Alex TD at the pylon should have stood as called. The Vincent Jackson TD at the pylon was good, but not Alex's?

The Justin Smith incident was weird. Big loss anyway you slice it.

The unnecessary roughness call on Tarell Brown when he hit the receiver on the sideline?????

The most BS call all night was the Ted Ginn TD called back. I mean even Matt Millen said he didn't think officials look at every thing, especially since Ginn was so close to the sideline some one was paying extra attention to Norris while engaged?
I mean it happened so fast he might grabbed the facemask but he let it go so quick.

Momentum killed instantly.
Share 49ersWebzone