There are 163 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. San Diego Chargers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well, I just got home from the game where I sat 9 rows from the field on the Niners side and the whole team has ZERO confidence in him. And he sucks worse in person than on TV. The o-line sucks just as equally but Smith holds on to the ball way too long and he is the most unaccurate short passer I've ever seen
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
On NFL Network: "It doesn't matter WHO was in @ QB...the play calling was pathetic. Total lack luster play calling."

Every one seems to see it except our coaches.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't Smith check out of a play and audible??

No there's a thinker. The question you pose puts some onus on the quarterback, and therefore it will be disregarded.

Yes, Alex should be calling audibles after 6 years of being in this league. Yes, Alex Smith wearns an arm band that has a list of plays that Smith could audible to if needed.

No, Smith does not audible.

Throughout the league, what is the understanding for QBs and audibles?

I know a guy like Peyton Manning will have almost absolute freedom when it comes to audibles and decisions. I know one game, he even had a moment where he waved off the punt team so he could go for it on fourth down.

With our defensive-minded coach, I imagine our QBs have minimal authority to call audibles.

I don't know if the players on offense are smart enough to handle an audible--this team really seems like team dumb.
Its stupid and pointless to even discuss Alex. He was an absolute non factor. He wasn't the reason we lost but he wasn't the reason we would win. We need a new QB and new coach. That's obvious. We need an impact QB like Rivers. Alex may not have lost this game...but let's be honest...he wasn't going to win it. We need a guy who's going to put this team on his back and we need coaches that scheme better. This sht was ridiculous.

in the second quarter--alex rolled to his right under pressure and went out of bounds for a 3 yard loss---he just had to throw the ball out of bounds 4 yards up the field and there is no yardage loss.

The Rivers gets big time pressure and throws to the open area where the pressure is coming from to complete that long gainer---this was the 2nd and 15 after justin smith got ejected.

difference between a good QB and a bad one.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Justin Smith getting ejected killed us. Not that we necessarily would have won, but we were starting to get an offense going, and, despite the goal line failure, the D was stepping up and on its way to forcing a punt. Without that penalty and ejection this game would have looked very different.

The blame for the ejection is on both Smith and the ref, IMO. Justin was getting carried away and needed to check himself, but that ref could have used some control in his judgment. I know what the rule is, but I think a 15 yard penalty would have been more than enough punishment. That was just a case of a ref getting some kind of Napoleon syndrome, IMO.

And after that, the team deflated and San Diego put their foot on our throats and ended it the way good teams do. They smelled blood and went in for the kill.

Holy s**t that prick ref pissed me off... the look he was giving Justin was a challenge, like... "C'mon tough guy, let's see what you got". I was really hoping Justin would just go berserk and grab the prick and...

I'm not rational during games.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I'm watching the DVR of the game... Just saw the penalty on Norris for the "facemask" are you kidding me??? What a joke these refs were tonight!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
I left 3 minutes before the 3rd quarter ended bro,let me tell you what I saw.

-smith is "gun shy" and never takes shots downfield.
-pass rush is non existent
-secondary?
-smith had some easy 10+ runs but seems like he hesitates to much
-charger fans are rowdy lol

also did you guys notice when the offense was on the sideline it seems like they were never together?i always so smith by himself,dudes no leader.ive been a simpletary/smith supporter since the beginning, but this embarrassing loss was the last straw. cant wait to clean house and get a real head coach..like they always say there is always next year and i cant wait. lets just finish on a positive note 7-9 (5-1 division) and get a QB and coach next year

cant believe i drove from el paso,tx to see that ass whooping! lmao

Clean House.... Please bring me a priest so i can exercise the demons! Start with alex, sing, Racheal, Harlson Franklin can walk also his job is to occupy blockers and if willis isn't clean he's not doing his job. Bring in a coach with a offensive mind set!!!!

keep justin smith, willis and spikes, lawson, goldson... Let taylor mays get playing time over reggie smith. Get goldson a new contract he's just the only guy in the secondary and he's doing to much.

Draft a new Cb, Passrusher to get harlson off the team he's a scrub. And a new QB groom him right. a guy not afraid to take a shot down field. DON"T RUN GORE INTO THE GROUND!

Demons can become very fat and useless unless they are given regular exercise by a responsible Satanist.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Smith reverted and seemed incapable of igniting any spark. Many sacks he just held the ball too long and wouldn't take any chances.

You might want to try watching the replays.

Blaming Alex Smith for the sacks is just plain wrong. He had less than three seconds on almost all of them. It isn't as if he had good protection like Troy did and stood there for five seconds before getting sacked.

sack

sack

sack

sack

sack

Sack - attempted rollout, got caught.

The last low-light was the only case I see him holding the ball too long. All others were nearly instant pressure. Just watch the horrible performance by the o-line. Pathetic.

Truly pathetic.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Its stupid and pointless to even discuss Alex. He was an absolute non factor. He wasn't the reason we lost but he wasn't the reason we would win. We need a new QB and new coach. That's obvious. We need an impact QB like Rivers. Alex may not have lost this game...but let's be honest...he wasn't going to win it. We need a guy who's going to put this team on his back and we need coaches that scheme better. This sht was ridiculous.

in the second quarter--alex rolled to his right under pressure and went out of bounds for a 3 yard loss---he just had to throw the ball out of bounds 4 yards up the field and there is no yardage loss.

The Rivers gets big time pressure and throws to the open area where the pressure is coming from to complete that long gainer---this was the 2nd and 15 after justin smith got ejected.

difference between a good QB and a bad one.

I agree Alex isn't a very good QB. But in fairness he usually is pretty good about throwing the ball away..almost to a fault. But yeah....still a poor choice.
in one word chemistry its not there even on the defense we need a qb who can be a leader like a brady manning type on defense there not even playing together we need a whole new secondary spencer and brown look lke crap along with nate
I didn't even get a chance to watch the game, but I knew Alex Smith would fail like he always does, for the past 6 years.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I didn't even get a chance to watch the game, but I knew Alex Smith would fail like he always does, for the past 6 years.

If you didn't watch the game how can you possible know that Alex "failed?" Comments like this just prove that the haters don't need facts, statistics, or anything of value to make their "argument."

Weak
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

If you didn't watch the game how can you possible know that Alex "failed?" Comments like this just prove that the haters don't need facts, statistics, or anything of value to make their "argument."

Weak

See the thing is that most people's perception is their reality so once they put it in their mind Alex sucks it stays their. Mind you that these same people who dog Alex would love to bring in Kevin Kolb, despite that he and Alex's career numbers look like the olsen twins.
The Chargers D is good. Especially the pass D. We had no shot at it after the opening TD by Jackson.

Cmp/Att Yards Avg TD INT QB-Rating
Player A v. Chargers D
31/48 285 5.9 2 4 59.8

Player B v. Chargers D
19/29 165 5.7 0 1 66.0

Player C v. Chargers D
18/31 198 6.4 1 0 87.8

Player D v. Chargers D
19/32 159 5.0 1 0 82.7

A = Peyton Manning
B = Alex Smith
C = Bradford
D = Brady

Both Manning and Smith lost. None of them had "great games" and everything was dink/dunk.

You beat SD with a strong running game, Defense and ST. Heck..NE won with 179 yards of total offense!

*Updated with more numbers*
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:37 AM ]
I went to bed at half time.
That´s been the returning story for a couple of years.

against good teams ( Arizona with Warner excluded) we have no passrush, give up big pass or/and run plays, get burned on double moves, screens, have a lot of penalties, mental breakdowns, poor O line blocking.

I´m just sick of it.

This team is just like Alex, inconsistent.
Share 49ersWebzone