There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our receivers are pathetic!

I've watched every single game this year and I sit in frustration watching Troy Smith hold on to the ball forever then dance around into a sack or Alex checking the ball down fifteen times a game but today completely confirmed it for me. I kept wanting to believe it was our horrbile offensive system and while that may have a little to do with it, I'm tired of making excuses to myself.

Our receivers simply can get no seperation. Ninety percent of the time when these guys catch it, is off some quick slant or screen. The only way we can actually move the ball in the passing game is by checking it down or getting it to one of our two tight ends. With all this talk about us needing a new quaterback, which we do but I think now we need a new, solid receiver just as much.

I just don't get it. Morgan flashed so much his first couple of seasons and here he is now, still all flashes. We were elated to get Crabtree at number ten last season but heck, he looks to be better last year than he is this year. This whole offense excluding Gore and Davis/Walker just needs to be refurbished in the offseason. Change is needed and demanded.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM ]
oh no we lost as expected to a much superior team.

everyone sucks!!!! lulz
They aren't very good. Crabtree is pretty good although not great. We lack speed at all WR positions except Ginn and he is more a return guy. Plus we don't have a real big WR like Vincent Jackson.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM ]
I completely disagree with your statement of Crabs being better last year, but everything else seems about right.

I hope to see Alex next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if Troy stays the rest of the season.
God, I hope Crabs is in a Sophomore slump...
Crabs is playing fine, once we get a legit QB/system he will be great

Still our others WRs
You guys are hilarious. New England won Super Bowls and so did the 49ers in years past with "no-name" receivers. The core problem is the people designing and calling the plays. Add to this poor coaching by Sullivan and there you have it - a sucky WR corps that can't seem to get open.

If Sullivan is still using Zeigler in practices to "show" other WRs how to run routes and how to play WR, you have to ask yourself WTF? Why wasn't this guy on the field if he's the most reliable route runner. It's s**t like that I've read over the years that just doesn't add up.
the wr's looked good when shaun hill was the qb.

what i'm trying to say is when we had a coordinator who knew how to call plays and a qb who can execute and trusted wr's to make plays 1 on 1...we had a good passing game (end of 2008).

its sad...martz helped dinglestink get a full time job..he fires martz, hires a bunch of morons.

then he gets rid of shaun hill, the other guy who helped him get a full time job.

and now here we are
Originally posted by iLL49er:
the wr's looked good when shaun hill was the qb.

what i'm trying to say is when we had a coordinator who knew how to call plays and a qb who can execute and trusted wr's to make plays 1 on 1...we had a good passing game (end of 2008).

its sad...martz helped dinglestink get a full time job..he fires martz, hires a bunch of morons.

then he gets rid of shaun hill, the other guy who helped him get a full time job.

and now here we are

Yes and the bears seem to be doing just fine with Mike Martz offense.
It more the QB and the system than it is the WR's. I do agree that beside Crabtree, we really dont have another solid WR. Eric Davis even said on the post game show today that Crabtree was open a lot, but Smith is holding the ball to long or not putting the ball where it should be
The poster is correct. Our receivers are a mediocre group, and that includes the overrated Morgan and Crabtree. The former showed promise his first year (not first "two") and has underperformed since. The latter was, IMHO, overrated from the start and at best, should be our number two. for a guy who supposedly didn't drop balls in college, he continues to do so well into his second year. As for getting seperation, they do not, as a group, routinely do so, and as another poster so astutely noted, perhaps their best receiver mostly sat on the bench and is now injured. That would be Ziggy who consistently outperformed all others in camp and preseason, reportedly having the best hands and route running and matches up to the others speed-wise as well. This iilustrates the ineptness of the coaching staff in not only coaching up their players, but in evaluating talent as well. This season of promise has become a torturous path in masochism for me, since I'm still compelled, as a faithful fan, to watch! God help us next year if there are not wholesale changes in staff and personnel.
I've been saying all season, as I tried to defend Alex, that our receivers were as much of the problem as his OL and the playcalling. Now, because Troy is in there, some of you fans, who refused to find blame anywhere except with Alex, are now noticing these areas. At least the scales are finally falling from your eyes.

During the PITT-BALT game tonight, we saw how valuable A. Boldin was to BALT. Did we sign him as a FA? No, because we keep our team salaries way under the salary cap. We can jump all over Sing (where it belongs) but never forget that most all of our problems are because of the Yorks - stupid hirings and tight wallets.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
You guys are hilarious. New England won Super Bowls and so did the 49ers in years past with "no-name" receivers. The core problem is the people designing and calling the plays. Add to this poor coaching by Sullivan and there you have it - a sucky WR corps that can't seem to get open.

If Sullivan is still using Zeigler in practices to "show" other WRs how to run routes and how to play WR, you have to ask yourself WTF? Why wasn't this guy on the field if he's the most reliable route runner. It's s**t like that I've read over the years that just doesn't add up.

No names...?

Last time I checked Jerry Rice was far from a no name. Also when you have a receiver like Jerry Rice out there it makes everybody else on the field better because of the kind of attention the man requires. We really don't have the outside presence that currently scares anybody, and that includes Crabs.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones are no name receivers?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They aren't very good. Crabtree is pretty good although not great. We lack speed at all WR positions except Ginn and he is more a return guy. Plus we don't have a real big WR like Vincent Jackson.

maybe thats who we really need next year VINCENT JACKSON himself