There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reason why we lost the first 5 games???

Reason why we lost the first 5 games???

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This board is primed for a major meltdown when Troy Smith returns to being Troy Smith, not John Elway, as we saw last week.

He is simply not that good people, and we are simply not good enough to begin considering playoff talk. In fact, how about we hold off playoff talk until we win ONE road game.

I'm a little more open minded about Troy, but while I tend to agree with your other thoughts here, why bother to dampen the expectations of others? Let them find instant gratification and hope... however empty it may be.

MD is a realist and very grounded. That's expected and sometimes admired. Me? I am the crazy optimist always trying to find the good in a pile of crap--you know like fiber.

We have to continue winning in order for him to see the light otherwise in his eyes this is a flash in the pan with Troy.

I have always believed that life molds us in so many different ways when we pay attention and allow it, sometimes we don't have a choice in the matter.

Why can't Troy grow and mature while honing his skills? Why can't he be human and sometimes regress? Why can't we believe that Troy just may be able to pull this thing out and provide some daring consistency while doing it?

--Two games is not enough to showcase he's got what it takes?

This forum doesn't need Troy to fail to meltdown....

It does it on its own!
If I had a nickle for everytime maddog was wrong, I would have an ass load of nickles. I don't know if Troy smith is the answer. He's a hell of allot closer to being the answer than any other qb we have on this team.

I don't even know why maddog bothers. The rest of this season doesn't matter.
Two very wise posts above. ^^

damn... nevermind... was referring to wodwo and the other fella talking about the defensive meltdowns.

[ Edited by oldman9er on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:00:04 ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

MD is a realist and very grounded.

Originally posted by 49ersfaninohio:
Don't forget the defense. There were 4 games that the defense allowed the opposing team to march down the field and score the winning field goal or TD (Saints, Falcons, Eagles, and Panthers). The Rams did it too, but luckily the defense held when it counted in OT and we won the game. Image if they had held against the four other games that I mentioned? We would be 7 and 2, NFC West leaders, playoff contenders, and one of the teams analysts talk about every week in a good way like the Patriots, Colts, Eagles, and the Ravens. Instead, we are 3 and 6 and hanging on by a very slim thread.

In the end, football is a team sport. You win and lose on every aspect of the game. Not just one player or unit causes teams to win or lose. It is a team effort to do both. Our players and coaches have done enough to win (mixing up the offensive play calling and capitalizing on turnovers) and done enough to lose (penalties, blowing timeouts, allowing teams to march down the field on winning drives, and crucial turnovers at critical moments in the games).

In order for this team to win and possibly make the playoffs, each man on the team will have to work harder, hit harder, make plays, reduce or limit penalties, stop turning the ball over in crucial moments, stop biting on out and ups and trick plays, tackle better, take advantage of turnovers, coach better, and play to win. Or, in a nut shell, play the perfect game.

good post.
This board is primed for a major meltdown when Troy Smith returns to being Troy Smith, not John Elway, as we saw last week.

He is simply not that good people, and we are simply not good enough to begin considering playoff talk. In fact, how about we hold off playoff talk until we win ONE road game.

I agree, we have to prove that we can win a road game to even consider any playoff talk.

As for your first point, whatever or whoever you consider the real Troy Smith, I still consider is better than the real Alex Smith. Now, if that alone helps this team more. I don't think we should pay as much attention to his total stats, as impressive as they are. A lot of QB's in the league have failed after showing some "luck" or initial spurts of good play.

What SHOULD impress us about Troy Smith is the types of games he has won. I don't recall any 49ers QB in the last 6 years winning games from behind in the fashion he has done. We have proven to lose games like the DEN and STL games in the past or early this season.

For now, that "clutch/leadership/determination" combined with talent ashould give you hope more than any other time we have had in the past 6 years.

For once or twice, things have gone our way. That could lead to some nice momentum/confidence to turn things around.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:01:28 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

I agree, we have to prove that we can win a road game to even consider any playoff talk.

As for your first point, whatever or whoever you consider the real Troy Smith, I still consider is better than the real Alex Smith. Now, if that alone helps this team more. I don't think we should pay as much attention to his total stats, as impressive as they are. A lot of QB's in the league have failed after showing some "luck" or initial spurts of good play.

What SHOULD impress us about Troy Smith is the types of games he has won. I don't recall any 49ers QB in the last 6 years winning games from behind in the fashion he has done. We have proven to lose games like the DEN and STL games in the past or early this season.

For now, that "clutch/leadership/determination" combined with talent ashould give you hope more than any other time we have had in the past 6 years.

For once or twice, things have gone our way. That could lead to some nice momentum/confidence to turn things around.

How is all of this any different than when you hitched your wagon to JTO and Hill while later actually admitting that you did so as much because of your disdain for #11 as anything?
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by ninertico:

MD is a realist and very grounded.

So I can't be nice?

How is all of this any different than when you hitched your wagon to JTO and Hill while later actually admitting that you did so as much because of your disdain for #11 as anything?

It may not be but Troy Smith is winning games while the rest of the offense, be it the playcalling or the teammates are doing things to easily make us lose. I don't recall any other QB fighting against things and still getting us the win.

Usually, our QB's create the problem with early INT's only to come back to almost win it.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:11:11 ]
I don't recall any other QB fighting against things and still getting us the win.

I do... his name was Shaun Hill, and he had some of you very excited... until defenses had enough film on him to shut him down and send him off as a 2011 7th round value.

If I remember correctly Elway lost a lot of games. Having started only a handful of games at the pro level, I expect him to lose a game or two in his career. Losing to a solid team on the road does not make him lousy.
I don't recall any other QB fighting against things and still getting us the win.

I do... his name was Shaun Hill, and he had some of you very excited... until defenses had enough film on him to shut him down and send him off as a 2011 7th round value.

I meant in terms of in-game. All of his wins were games when everything else on offense was clicking. He never won a game like the DEN game when our own Playcalling put our offense in a rut and forced the QB to make big plays to win it or like the STL game where the offense AND defense continuously shot itself in the foot.

As for defenses figuring Hill out, I still feel it had more to do with Raye's playcalling than anything. Hill was and is able to throw a 35 yard pass with accuracy but Raye never had him consistently attempting those.

I still think the Bucs game is going to be a challenge for Troy if they don't stack the box. We will see if he can take advantage of the short middle of the field which is what the Bucs allow most. However, they have given up a lot of big plays.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:22:18 ]

I meant in terms of in-game. All of his wins were games when everything else on offense was clicking. He never won a game like the DEN game when our own Playcalling put our offense in a rut and forced the QB to make big plays to win it or like the STL game where the offense AND defense continuously shot itself in the foot.

As for defenses figuring Hill out, I still feel it had more to do with Raye's playcalling than anything. Hill was and is able to throw a 35 yard pass with accuracy but Raye never had him consistently attempting those.

I still think the Bucs game is going to be a challenge for Troy if they don't stack the box. We will see if he can take advantage of the short middle of the field which is what the Bucs allow most. However, they have given up a lot of big plays.

I'm still waiting for us to out coach another team.
Maybe Sunday, but again I think it will fall on our players to make them look salvageable.
Originally posted by TheTruth:

Maybe Sunday, but again I think it will fall on our players to make them look salvageable.

I think we out coached the Rams. The penalties hurt us more than anything. Also, the decision to go for it on 4th and 18 was HUGE. We were only down by 4 was it? And there was still 2 minutes remaining on the clock. I bet if we had a better record, we get the 3 points and try to stop their offense and try to get the ball back.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:49:34 ]
Originally posted by TheTruth:

I think we out coached the Rams. The penalties hurt us more than anything. Also, the decision to go for it on 4th and 18 was HUGE. We were only down by 4 was it? And there was still 2 minutes remaining on the clock. I bet if we had a better record, we get the 3 points and try to stop their offense and try to get the ball back.

the 0-11 on 3rd down conversions didn't help either.