LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Reason why we lost the first 5 games???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Reason why we lost the first 5 games???

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Once again, the board shows a total lack of intelligence. Anyone who blames Alex Smith more than Mike Singletary simply does not understand the game, period.

The total lack of organization, structure, communication problems, argument on what style of offense to play, player personnel issues....this falls on Alex? Come on, people, grow a brain cell.

Alex Smith did not have a great, or even good first 5 games. But, he is one element in the chaos of this team, with a head coach who simply does not know what he is doing. To assign blame on him for being the main cause of our bad start is simply naive.

Haha, this is a hilarious post. I agree btw. . Some people are able to see the bigger picture when it comes to football, and some aren't.

are you guys done tooting your horns to the beat of "holier than thou"?

Here's the response: great quarterbacks transcend everything around them, and elevate the level of play of their teammates. Who were the no-names that Bradford was throwing the ball to as WR's? Never heard of them, but they sure were lighting it up togethr. The Falcons sucked and were in disarray before Ryan. The Rams sucked before Warner. The Pats sucked before Brady. In all those cases, it seemed like the whole team sucked and possibly the coach too. In all those cases, the singular thing that made the team rock was the introduction of a great QB. You don't realize it until a real QB comes along and pulls you out of the quick sand.

Didn't know the QB plays on defense
We Didn't watch enough film.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
we lost them because we suck.

Damn Hessian, well done. One and done on this thread.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
IF Alex would have cut his turnovers by half we would have won at least 2 more games. Getting injured is the only reason Alex isn't still leading the league in turnovers.

Say what you want about Raye, but it was more Alex's fault that we lost the 1st game. The plays were there to be made but his inaccuracy on the high pass to Morgan and the pass to Norris really cost us the game in the first half.

Don't want to turn this into an Alex Smith thread, but you can't put all those turnovers on Alex Smith. Some of them were the result of Crabtree not being on the same page and also tipping passes. Crabtree turned it around after a terrible start and is now arguably our most reliable receiver. However, there was a point that he was killing this team with his mistakes.

Alex Smith also was towards the top of the league in pass attempts. A more important statistic in turnovers is how many you have per attempt. Let's test your theory that Alex would still be leading the league in turnovers (interceptions and fumbles lost) had he remained the starter:

Pass Attempts Per Turnover

Alex Smith: 24.2

Matt Moore: 11.92

Brett Favre: 13.76

Eli Manning: 18.76

Jay Cutler: 18.92

David Garrard: 20

Derek Anderson: 22.6

Alex wasn't as bad as you're making him out to be. Was he good enough? Nope. Just don't blame it all on him. Especially considering he had gone a game and a half without a turnover before he was injured.

Alex was the #1 reason
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

You don't realize it until a real QB comes along and pulls you out of the quick sand.

Barely. On desperation throws, with defenders hands on him, in the 4th quarter and overtime in the last two games respectively.

Troy Smith is a Jedi. He's made magic happen for two games in a row. I totally agree that Troy has outperformed Alex in every way I can think of right now. This isn't a statistical analysis, it's just what I've seen in the games.

That said, there is so much more wrong with this team than QB. Troy Smith was sacked 5 times and we may have left 15 points on the field due to penalties. These things need to be fixed or I fear Troy will either be forced to make another bad decision that kills us or that he'll just get killed.

We barely won the last two games. I don't think it's time to say, "I told you so.", just yet.

You don't realize it until a real QB comes along and pulls you out of the quick sand.

Barely. On desperation throws, with defenders hands on him, in the 4th quarter and overtime in the last two games respectively.

Troy Smith is a Jedi. He's made magic happen for two games in a row. I totally agree that Troy has outperformed Alex in every way I can think of right now. This isn't a statistical analysis, it's just what I've seen in the games.

That said, there is so much more wrong with this team than QB. Troy Smith was sacked 5 times and we may have left 21 points on the field due to penalties. These things need to be fixed or I fear Troy will either be forced to make another bad decision that kills us or that he'll just get killed.

We barely won the last two games. I don't think it's time to say, "I told you so.", just yet.

Fixed. There were 3 TD's called back on penalties and don't forget the INT by Clements that was called back as well that would have probably led to a FG or a TD. As for barely winning the last 2 games you can blame the soft ass defense who couldn't stop an opposing offense if their lives depended on it.

How many games this year has an opposing team just drove down field to either win the game or tie it in the last remaining minutes/seconds in the game?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:

Alex was the #1 reason

Do you want to have a civil discussion on the subject? I'm willing to hear your reasons and respond with my own. You are a man of few words and I am interested in your opinion.
Because Alex Smith threw 200 interceptions.
Originally posted by backontop:

That said, there is so much more wrong with this team than QB. Troy Smith was sacked 5 times and we may have left 21 points on the field due to penalties. These things need to be fixed or I fear Troy will either be forced to make another bad decision that kills us or that he'll just get killed.

Fixed. There were 3 TD's called back on penalties and don't forget the INT by Clements that was called back as well that would have probably led to a FG or a TD. As for barely winning the last 2 games you can blame the soft ass defense who couldn't stop an opposing offense if their lives depended on it.

How many games this year has an opposing team just drove down field to either win the game or tie it in the last remaining minutes/seconds in the game?

The Defense had more in the tank because when we weren' scoring, we were at least moving the ball and giving them a break. We had a lot of yard passing and running. That kept our guys fresh and it showed in OT. We had more energy then they did on those last 2 drives.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 18, 2010 at 23:18:31 ]
Alex.

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
IF Alex would have cut his turnovers by half we would have won at least 2 more games. Getting injured is the only reason Alex isn't still leading the league in turnovers.

Say what you want about Raye, but it was more Alex's fault that we lost the 1st game. The plays were there to be made but his inaccuracy on the high pass to Morgan and the pass to Norris really cost us the game in the first half.

Don't want to turn this into an Alex Smith thread, but you can't put all those turnovers on Alex Smith. Some of them were the result of Crabtree not being on the same page and also tipping passes. Crabtree turned it around after a terrible start and is now arguably our most reliable receiver. However, there was a point that he was killing this team with his mistakes.

Alex Smith also was towards the top of the league in pass attempts. A more important statistic in turnovers is how many you have per attempt. Let's test your theory that Alex would still be leading the league in turnovers (interceptions and fumbles lost) had he remained the starter:

Pass Attempts Per Turnover

Alex Smith: 24.2

Matt Moore: 11.92

Brett Favre: 13.76

Eli Manning: 18.76

Jay Cutler: 18.92

David Garrard: 20

Derek Anderson: 22.6

Alex wasn't as bad as you're making him out to be. Was he good enough? Nope. Just don't blame it all on him. Especially considering he had gone a game and a half without a turnover before he was injured.

Alex was the #1 reason

Are there any stats of "game changing pays" per passing attempt?

A Smith is trash. He needs to go.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

The Defense had more in the tank because when we weren' scoring, we were at least moving the ball and giving them a break. We had a lot of yard passing and running. That kept our guys fresh and it showed in OT. We had more energy then they did on those last 2 drives.

Oh yea it really showed as a rookie QB drove down the field with ease to tie the game.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I'll explain my math. I assume all extra points are good. The Clements interception I assume is a touchdown (7). The touchdown pass to Vernon Davis wiped by the delay of game penalty ended in a Field Goal (4). The touchdown pass to Crabtree that was called back due to holding resulted in another Field Goal (4). The final touchdown to Vernon Davis that was called back on a holding penalty was during a drive that ended in a touchdown (0).

7 + 4 + 4 = 15

We have had a 4th quarter comeback drive against us in four games this season. The Saints, Falcons, and Panthers beat us in regulation and we went into overtime and beat the Rams. During the Eagles game we never had the lead in the 4th quarter (fairly certain), but we did allow the Eagles to answer a touchdown in the 4th quarter with a field goal before we scored our final touchdown. Had we not allowed that final field goal, the final touchdown would have tied the game.

[ Edited by Wodwo on Nov 18, 2010 at 23:34:58 ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Are there any stats of "game changing pays" per passing attempt?

A Smith is trash. He needs to go.

I don't understand your question.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Once again, the board shows a total lack of intelligence. Anyone who blames Alex Smith more than Mike Singletary simply does not understand the game, period.

The total lack of organization, structure, communication problems, argument on what style of offense to play, player personnel issues....this falls on Alex? Come on, people, grow a brain cell.

Alex Smith did not have a great, or even good first 5 games. But, he is one element in the chaos of this team, with a head coach who simply does not know what he is doing. To assign blame on him for being the main cause of our bad start is simply naive.

Haha, this is a hilarious post. I agree btw. . Some people are able to see the bigger picture when it comes to football, and some aren't.

are you guys done tooting your horns to the beat of "holier than thou"?

Here's the response: great quarterbacks transcend everything around them, and elevate the level of play of their teammates. Who were the no-names that Bradford was throwing the ball to as WR's? Never heard of them, but they sure were lighting it up togethr. The Falcons sucked and were in disarray before Ryan. The Rams sucked before Warner. The Pats sucked before Brady. In all those cases, it seemed like the whole team sucked and possibly the coach too. In all those cases, the singular thing that made the team rock was the introduction of a great QB. You don't realize it until a real QB comes along and pulls you out of the quick sand.

Didn't know the QB plays on defense

If a QB has poor offensive production, then that QB's defense will be on the field longer than they should be, they will be tired and will have lesser quality substitutions happening, and they'll be playing catch up the whole time because they're always behind in offensive scoring.

This team has all the pieces in place. When you have a miserable QB, the WHOLE team looks bad. It's just like a business.... a bad manager can make his/her whole team look incompetent. Bring in a kickass manager, and suddenly the whole team has turned around and is kicking ass. That's where we are at right now. Troy Smith may be the answer, we don't know yet. I hope he is though. Desparately. Enough is enough with the incompetence on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone