Reason why we lost the first 5 games???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Reason why we lost the first 5 games???

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Once again, the board shows a total lack of intelligence. Anyone who blames Alex Smith more than Mike Singletary simply does not understand the game, period.

The total lack of organization, structure, communication problems, argument on what style of offense to play, player personnel issues....this falls on Alex? Come on, people, grow a brain cell.

Alex Smith did not have a great, or even good first 5 games. But, he is one element in the chaos of this team, with a head coach who simply does not know what he is doing. To assign blame on him for being the main cause of our bad start is simply naive.

Haha, this is a hilarious post. I agree btw. . Some people are able to see the bigger picture when it comes to football, and some aren't.

are you guys done tooting your horns to the beat of "holier than thou"?

Here's the response: great quarterbacks transcend everything around them, and elevate the level of play of their teammates. Who were the no-names that Bradford was throwing the ball to as WR's? Never heard of them, but they sure were lighting it up togethr. The Falcons sucked and were in disarray before Ryan. The Rams sucked before Warner. The Pats sucked before Brady. In all those cases, it seemed like the whole team sucked and possibly the coach too. In all those cases, the singular thing that made the team rock was the introduction of a great QB. You don't realize it until a real QB comes along and pulls you out of the quick sand.

Didn't know the QB plays on defense

If a QB has poor offensive production, then that QB's defense will be on the field longer than they should be, they will be tired and will have lesser quality substitutions happening, and they'll be playing catch up the whole time because they're always behind in offensive scoring.

This team has all the pieces in place. When you have a miserable QB, the WHOLE team looks bad. It's just like a business.... a bad manager can make his/her whole team look incompetent. Bring in a kickass manager, and suddenly the whole team has turned around and is kicking ass. That's where we are at right now. Troy Smith may be the answer, we don't know yet. I hope he is though. Desparately. Enough is enough with the incompetence on the field.

We were leading in games that came to the wire and the D failed. That is not the fault of the QB....if Troy gets us a lead and the D gives up the points is that his fault? I was expecting a loss last week when St. Louis was driving at the end of the 4th...if they had scored would that of been the fault of Troy? I wouldn't think so and wouldn't blame him for the loss, just like I wont blame Alex for the losses we got in that same scenario.
Once again, the board shows a total lack of intelligence. Anyone who blames Alex Smith more than Mike Singletary simply does not understand the game, period.

The total lack of organization, structure, communication problems, argument on what style of offense to play, player personnel issues....this falls on Alex? Come on, people, grow a brain cell.

Alex Smith did not have a great, or even good first 5 games. But, he is one element in the chaos of this team, with a head coach who simply does not know what he is doing. To assign blame on him for being the main cause of our bad start is simply naive.

Obviously. Singletary is historically bad and his medieval influences messed up everything. You cannot judge anyone in this organization, except the Yorks, until Sing goes.
they suck?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DANADA:
these 2

this
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Tougher schedule.

Look at it. Those are some of the toughest games we played this year. Now all the softballs are lined up and home games. Those were away games and some home vs. real tough teams. Nothing like the current schedule.

True. I wish the schedule makers would spread out the games better...3 out of the first 4 on the road, 2 at the loudest stadiums in the league? Home game against the World Champs?

Some of the absolute toughest games we played were the first 5. It was road games and home vs. very tough teams. Even Alex would beat a lot of the current games on the schedule. Not saying he is the answer. But Troy Smith is an illusion IMO based on softball schedule. Alex was 8 - 8 last year. He wouldn't lose them all. He wins the easy ones. Troy would lose a lot of the first 5 if not all of them.

Smith wasn't 8-8 last year. He was I think 5-5. Lol. I don't think he coulda beat the rams last week.

5-5 projects out to 8-8 over a full season... People act like we would be 0 - 16 but we would not. The toughest 5 games on our schedule were the first 5.

He certainly could beat the Rams. He did last year.[/quote

So you think the Rams are the same team as last year?
with a stud at QB and a beast passrusher in LONG. your kidding right?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
IF Alex would have cut his turnovers by half we would have won at least 2 more games. Getting injured is the only reason Alex isn't still leading the league in turnovers.

Say what you want about Raye, but it was more Alex's fault that we lost the 1st game. The plays were there to be made but his inaccuracy on the high pass to Morgan and the pass to Norris really cost us the game in the first half.

Don't want to turn this into an Alex Smith thread, but you can't put all those turnovers on Alex Smith. Some of them were the result of Crabtree not being on the same page and also tipping passes. Crabtree turned it around after a terrible start and is now arguably our most reliable receiver. However, there was a point that he was killing this team with his mistakes.

Alex Smith also was towards the top of the league in pass attempts. A more important statistic in turnovers is how many you have per attempt. Let's test your theory that Alex would still be leading the league in turnovers (interceptions and fumbles lost) had he remained the starter:

Pass Attempts Per Turnover

Alex Smith: 24.2

Matt Moore: 11.92

Brett Favre: 13.76

Eli Manning: 18.76

Jay Cutler: 18.92

David Garrard: 20

Derek Anderson: 22.6

Alex wasn't as bad as you're making him out to be. Was he good enough? Nope. Just don't blame it all on him. Especially considering he had gone a game and a half without a turnover before he was injured.

Alex was the #1 reason

Are there any stats of "game changing pays" per passing attempt?

A Smith is trash. He needs to go.

i bet if your take away the check down for no gain or minimul gain alex smith would be at the bottom of this list.
Originally posted by nothing03:
There shoulda been Sing, A. Smith, and Raye.

This
  • Dino
  • Veteran
turnovers...
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:
You touch yourself at night.

What's wrong with touching yourself?
these 2

There were several problems. I think it boils down to the problem being Sing, Smith and Raye.

Smith did nothing to help the team, not in any of the games. He was just out there, going through the motions, but not doing anything to increase the chance of winning.

Sing's archaic philosophy of offense was severely limiting our production. I think that one is pretty obvious.

Raye was a bonehead signal caller. He should have never been here, but this is stemmed from Sing's archaic philosophy which scared off legitmate OC candidates.

I think they are all equally part of the problem. The difference is Sing seems to be adjusting (I could be wrong) as evidenced by our offense last week. Alex and Raye are gone, so 2/3 of the problem are fixed.
1. Raye's fault for the offense taking Singletary's message to an extreme.
2. Smith's fault for not forcing Raye to make changes and accepting playcalling when his career is on the line.
3. Any other player who turned the ball over in the red zone or any other critical time.
4. Clements fault for jumping routes and fumbling a ball

I don't think much was Sinletary's fault DURING the season. The guy couldn't fire his OC switch QB's 2 games into the season. I think he actually gets a s**t load of credit for doing it 3 games into the season (still very early). His main faults were prior to the season and that was making it too easy for Alex Smith without a backup plan.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Haha, this is a hilarious post. I agree btw. . Some people are able to see the bigger picture when it comes to football, and some aren't.

An Alex Smith lover calling people stupid, that's some good stuff.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by maximill15:
these 2
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BobS:

An Alex Smith lover calling people stupid, that's some good stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone