LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

We'd be in first place for sure. Troy Smith gets the ball down the field. We would go weeks without a long pass and in one game everybody is getting into the act. Just tighten up the coaching and we have something.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
4 - 5.

The harder part of the schedule was the beginning of the year. We would have still lost lots of those. Now all the softballs are lined up. We are getting somewhat of a false impression and false hope. But he does some things well. And I like what I see in some ways. But I wouldn't get carried away and think he's leading us to a Super Bowl.

Please. We almost won 4 more games under Alex Smith. Anyone who doesn't see Troy Smith is far superior to Alex is blind. Troy doesn't make the mistakes Alex does, and without those mistakes, we win at least 3 out of those 4 that we ALMOST won.

6-3.

The tough part of the schedule was Alex. The softball part of the schedule is Troy.

We lose:

Chiefs
Saints
Falcons
Eagles

We are not as good as them.

We almost beat the Saints, Falcons and Eagles WITH ALEX. Troy >>>> Alex and it's not close. Better QB play wins us all 3 of those games. MAYBE we still lose to the Saints or Eagles, but not both. We would have stomped Carolina.

We still lose to the Chiefs and Seahawks because those games were just disastrous.

I think the Saints would find a way to beat us. Falcons would beat us for sure. I still think the Eagles would too.

The Saints did find a way to beat us... his name was Alex Smith.
4 - 5.

The harder part of the schedule was the beginning of the year. We would have still lost lots of those. Now all the softballs are lined up. We are getting somewhat of a false impression and false hope. But he does some things well. And I like what I see in some ways. But I wouldn't get carried away and think he's leading us to a Super Bowl.

Please. We almost won 4 more games under Alex Smith. Anyone who doesn't see Troy Smith is far superior to Alex is blind. Troy doesn't make the mistakes Alex does, and without those mistakes, we win at least 3 out of those 4 that we ALMOST won.

6-3.

The tough part of the schedule was Alex. The softball part of the schedule is Troy.

We lose:

Chiefs
Saints
Falcons
Eagles

We are not as good as them.

We almost beat the Saints, Falcons and Eagles WITH ALEX. Troy >>>> Alex and it's not close. Better QB play wins us all 3 of those games. MAYBE we still lose to the Saints or Eagles, but not both. We would have stomped Carolina.

We still lose to the Chiefs and Seahawks because those games were just disastrous.

I think the Saints would find a way to beat us. Falcons would beat us for sure. I still think the Eagles would too.

How would the Falcons beat us "for sure?" ALEX SMITH ALMOST BEAT THEM. Troy >>>> Alex. Take away Alex's mistakes and we win that game (never would have been in position for Nate Clements to take the blame on that INT).

Remove the BS fumble in the Philly game and then the patented drive-killing INT at the end (on a throw that should have never been attempted with the heat in his face) and we probably beat Philly too.

Look at the Eagles on Monday night. They are explosive. They will score what they have to in order to win. The Falcons are a much better team and they would find a way to win. They are more explosive than us too. If we play either of those teams 10 times they win 9 respectively.

We faced Kolb, not Vick, huge difference there.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by HomerJ:
We barely beat Denver and St Louis with T. Smith under center, I don't know how some translate that into sure thing wins over Philly, Atlanta and New Orleans.

eliminate interceptions.

If they would have blown out Denver and St Louis and not taken it down to the wire and overtime, I might be more optimistic about it.

The close score against StL is not on Troy, that was all on the BS mistakes by the linemen. If we don't commit stupid penalties, that game is a blow out.

Also if the playcalling wasn't so horrendous against denver in the 1st half, that could have been a blow out too.
Also, Troy Smith puts em between the numbers. How many balls did Alex place out of reach that led to tipped passes by the receivers and led to INTs?

Also, Troy throws accurately downfield, Alex can't even throw a decent midrange pass, they just like float to their target, and not Montana type floaters, but the kind that you hope to god a DB doesn't get to it first.
I say 5 and 4. So many of those games were very close and came down to the last minute. In a game like that one person, especially a QB can make a difference. While I dont think Troy is Peyton Manning he is appreciably better than Alex. So making the reasonable assumption that he makes just one less mistake and one more big play. Those games where we blew it by allowing one last drive are now, likely to be two score games with 2 minutes left, not one.
Isn't it obvious?
Originally posted by bigmike55:
4 - 5.

Yeah, I don't think we are superbowl bound with him, but I think he would've pulled off at least two more wins for us, especially some of those close ones when Alex Smith turned the ball over so many times.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Week 2 loss 25-22 saints
3rd play of the game was a bad snap and Alex batted the ball out of the endzone for a safety and giving the saints excellent field position for them to score their only TD of the half.
If Troy were the QB he would have picked up the ball ran around 10 guys and picked up a first down. Then driving the team down the field for a FG and not allowing a Saints TD in the first half.
9ers win 25-16

Week 4 loss 16-14 falcons
With 1:20 until half Alex throws a pick horrible pass to Gore that was deflected. Atlanta kicks a field goal just before halftime.
If Troy were the QB he doesn’t throw that pick and the 9ers get a field goal just before halftime.
9ers win 17-13

Week 5 loss 27-24 eagles
Alex fumble blunder touchdown. Troy throws the pass out of bounds no harm done.
9ers win 24-20

6-3
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Archie.
I think you have other things going on in your mind. I definitely think we beat the Saints, Falcons, and maybe the Chiefs. There is nothing overly powerful about the Chiefs as witnessed by the Broncos and Raiders beating them on successive weeks. We could not match scores or move the ball, thus we got blown out. If we had gotten 3 more points or just fell down after an interception we would have beat the Falcons. You forget that Alex missed a wide open fullback but we still scored 22 on the Saints. I think with Troy you score a touchdown and we win a close game against the Saints. Heck the Browns beat the Saints and the Patriots.
Originally posted by skynet907:
3-6

That's very possible. LOL. The tough away games and tougher teams would have still been mostly losses if not all.

Even the Panthers? Cmon now!

We might have won that if Alex didn't get injured.

You really think we beat the Chiefs at Chiefs with Troy Smith? The Saints game?

The Chiefs, no. We got blown out period. The Saints game I honestly believe we would have won with Troy. The guy is efficient, takes care of the ball and makes big plays when we need them. Alex Smith throws interceptions more than he throws touchdowns and can't seem to win many games.

I think the Saints, Chiefs and Falcons beat us. It's too bad Troy didn't get that part of the schedule because we would find out what we really have. No I don't know for sure.

Let's trade Troy Smith whiles he's hot to Philly for Kevin Kolb. You know Reid would love him as Vick's back up as they have similar traits. Though Vick has better vision and slightly more mobile. I think Vick has a slight advantage with arm strength and accuracy too.
we still don't really know about Troy...a couple more games and we might have a VERY good idea .

but that being said, I'm sure we would've had a better record...much better. I have always said ( and Troy says this in the locker room apparently) we have sooooo much offensive weapons, there is no reason for us not to be moving the ball and scoring points.
I say 6 - 3 because sometimes our defense was scored on because the guys were just tired but if you can score enough to stay close you can win at the end.
It would be fair to say we MAY have won 3-4 more games. Just like we MAY have won the CAR game if Alex stayed in.

SEA - Alex missed Moran and Morgan in the end zone in the first half and threw a pick-6, err two INTs. We would only be down 1 point without that pick-6. Smith played like complete garbage in the second half.
ATL - Smith threw more INTs and did absolutely nothing the whole middle of the game
NO - I still think they would have won.
PHI - another Smith turnover for 6 points, and terrible play up until his late heroics which fell short.
CAR - probably would have done more, but that is pure speculation.

With Troy, it would be easy to say we would have to pick up one of those games, putting us at 4-5, possibly even 2 or 3 games, since he has shown he is far more "clutch" than the other Smith.

I still don't understand how Sing let Smith ride an 0-5 record, but only gave Hill a 3-2 record the year before!
37-5
Share 49ersWebzone