LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 243 users in the forums

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

woulda coulda shoulda
I want to see a couple more wins before I can say anything about troy. Looks good so far but I am not convinced he is any better than alex based on the level of competition they played.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
4 - 5.

The harder part of the schedule was the beginning of the year. We would have still lost lots of those. Now all the softballs are lined up. We are getting somewhat of a false impression and false hope. But he does some things well. And I like what I see in some ways. But I wouldn't get carried away and think he's leading us to a Super Bowl.

Please. We almost won 4 more games under Alex Smith. Anyone who doesn't see Troy Smith is far superior to Alex is blind. Troy doesn't make the mistakes Alex does, and without those mistakes, we win at least 3 out of those 4 that we ALMOST won.

6-3.

The tough part of the schedule was Alex. The softball part of the schedule is Troy.

We lose:

Chiefs
Saints
Falcons
Eagles

We are not as good as them.
Add the Seahawks game to the loss column as well. Seattle put up 31 points on a bad defense.

The only game I see turned around is the Carolina game.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I like Troy but the answer is 3-6. The problem with this team is Singletary, not the QB. To think the team would be 6-3 removes the turdish job our coach has done this year.

Troy Smith doesn't lay an egg in the red zone at Seattle, he doesn't melt down in the 2nd half as well. Do we win that game? I don't know, but we have a chance.

No faulting Alex in the NO game, that one's on our "prevent" defense.

Everyone sucked in KC. Once again, this starts with the QB. With a confident, competent QB do we still get blown out? With Jimmy Reye calling the plays? Yes.

Alex made some plays vs Philli, but he also made the most idiotic play in NFL history. Can't say Troy wins that game, but outside of Alex, not many QBs make that bonehead play.

Troy beats Raiders, Panthers, and obviously Denver and STL.

I think we could have won the last 4 with him, and possibly either the Eagles or Seattle.

so either 4-5 or 5-4
  • dj43
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I like Troy but the answer is 3-6. The problem with this team is Singletary, not the QB. To think the team would be 6-3 removes the turdish job our coach has done this year.
With Jimmy Reye calling the plays? Yes.
Blaming Alex Smith is the popular choice but the bold is the real choice...and of course Raye is "only doing what he was directed to do..." by Mike Singletary.

So there is your answer.
  • dj43
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by skynet907:
3-6

That's very possible. LOL. The tough away games and tougher teams would have still been mostly losses if not all.

Even the Panthers? Cmon now!

We might have won that if Alex didn't get injured.

You really think we beat the Chiefs at Chiefs with Troy Smith? The Saints game?

The Chiefs, no. We got blown out period. The Saints game I honestly believe we would have won with Troy. The guy is efficient, takes care of the ball and makes big plays when we need them. Alex Smith throws interceptions more than he throws touchdowns and can't seem to win many games.

I think the Saints, Chiefs and Falcons beat us. It's too bad Troy didn't get that part of the schedule because we would find out what we really have. No I don't know for sure.

Alex threw two ints in each game against the Saints and Falcons. I believe we would have won those if troy was playing. I would even go so far to say we would have beaten the Hawks if not for two ints and a fumble in that game even though we didn't lose that fumble. Let's not forget the two ints and game sealing fumble in the Eagles game. I say we would have won at least 3 more games.

LB
That is the problem - in order for this team to beat any of those teams in the first half, the offense has to be flawless.

This team has talent but still has critical flaws, not the least of which are the two rookie OL who are improving but it just takes time.

A team that averages 8 penalties/game is not going to win very many football games in this league.
SEA - still a L
NO - still a L
KC - still a L
ATL - W - This was Alex's worst game. 2 picks in ATL territory and taking a bad sack at the wrong time
PHI - L - Alex played well aside from that one bad mistake
OAK - still a W
CAR - still a L

So 4-5.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Schulzy:
SEA - still a L
NO - still a L
KC - still a L
ATL - W - This was Alex's worst game. 2 picks in ATL territory and taking a bad sack at the wrong time
PHI - L - Alex played well aside from that one bad mistake
OAK - still a W
CAR - still a L

So 4-5.
That assumes Troy would have played a perfect game.
Lots of mistakes were made in their losses, not just by Alex Smith. These questions can't be asnwered, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was no difference in the record.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
9-0 baby, Troy is a winner.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
5-4
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I think we'd be at least 5-4, if not maybe 6-3. We would have probably beaten the Saints, Falcons, and/or Carolina. Important thing is Troy hasn't made the mistakes Alex has. Troy doesn't turn the ball over and he doesn't hesitate on throws. He trusts himself and its paying off. If the line can give him time consistantly, he's good enough to beat all the teams remaining on the schedule. I for one have hope again and will be watching Sunday against TB.

Seattle however has a pretty decent schedule ahead as well and they are 2 games ahead of us right now.
We lose to

Seattle, Cheifs, Eagles, Saints, Falcons

So 4-5

It was our D that lost us the Falcons and Saints game I think that's SDs point so Alex vs Troy is a moot point there
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
The real question should be, what would our record be if the play calling in week one was the same as it was this last sunday???

I was laughing how Tim Ryan was commenting about how the Rams defense was being kept off balance with the play call of MJ.

How good a job he was doing with mis-direction plays, passing plays out of a running formation, sweeps and pitch plays.

I think we would be 6-3 with Alex if the game planning and play calling hadn't sucked!!!

As for Troy's ability, time will tell. As teams are starting to get more film on him, they will figure out how to stop him.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
With Jimmy Reye calling the plays? Yes.
Blaming Alex Smith is the popular choice but the bold is the real choice...and of course Raye is "only doing what he was directed to do..." by Mike Singletary.

So there is your answer.

If you don't think that turning the ball over, inaccurate passes that produces incompletions, bad reads and the dearth of playmaking does not contribute to losses, then the measurement of Wins and Losses would completely disagree with you. I don't care what team that you put Alex on, his performance or lact there of, would have resulted in losses. So, I don't blame Sing for those losses where his QB failed to perform as he wanted Vick from the begining. I blame management who stuck to the hope of Alex becoming something greater than he has shown at the expense of acquiring available talent. If they got Vick last year, do you think that they pass up on Dez Bryant for an offensive lineman in the first round? Trying to build the team to compensate for Alex's lack of production has costs this team in many ways.
Share 49ersWebzone