LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
4 - 5.

The harder part of the schedule was the beginning of the year. We would have still lost lots of those. Now all the softballs are lined up. We are getting somewhat of a false impression and false hope. But he does some things well. And I like what I see in some ways. But I wouldn't get carried away and think he's leading us to a Super Bowl.

Please. We almost won 4 more games under Alex Smith. Anyone who doesn't see Troy Smith is far superior to Alex is blind. Troy doesn't make the mistakes Alex does, and without those mistakes, we win at least 3 out of those 4 that we ALMOST won.

6-3.

The tough part of the schedule was Alex. The softball part of the schedule is Troy.

We lose:

Chiefs
Saints
Falcons
Eagles

We are not as good as them.

We almost beat the Saints, Falcons and Eagles WITH ALEX. Troy >>>> Alex and it's not close. Better QB play wins us all 3 of those games. MAYBE we still lose to the Saints or Eagles, but not both. We would have stomped Carolina.

We still lose to the Chiefs and Seahawks because those games were just disastrous.

I think the Saints would find a way to beat us. Falcons would beat us for sure. I still think the Eagles would too.
4 - 5.

The harder part of the schedule was the beginning of the year. We would have still lost lots of those. Now all the softballs are lined up. We are getting somewhat of a false impression and false hope. But he does some things well. And I like what I see in some ways. But I wouldn't get carried away and think he's leading us to a Super Bowl.

Please. We almost won 4 more games under Alex Smith. Anyone who doesn't see Troy Smith is far superior to Alex is blind. Troy doesn't make the mistakes Alex does, and without those mistakes, we win at least 3 out of those 4 that we ALMOST won.

6-3.

The tough part of the schedule was Alex. The softball part of the schedule is Troy.

We lose:

Chiefs
Saints
Falcons
Eagles

We almost beat the Saints, Falcons and Eagles WITH ALEX. Troy >>>> Alex and it's not close. Better QB play wins us all 3 of those games. MAYBE we still lose to the Saints or Eagles, but not both. We would have stomped Carolina.

We still lose to the Chiefs and Seahawks because those games were just disastrous.

I think the Saints would find a way to beat us. Falcons would beat us for sure. I still think the Eagles would too.

How would the Falcons beat us "for sure?" ALEX SMITH ALMOST BEAT THEM. Troy >>>> Alex. Take away Alex's mistakes and we win that game (never would have been in position for Nate Clements to take the blame on that INT).

Remove the BS fumble in the Philly game and then the patented drive-killing INT at the end (on a throw that should have never been attempted with the heat in his face) and we probably beat Philly too.
4 - 5.

6-3.

We lose:

Chiefs
Saints
Falcons
Eagles

How would the Falcons beat us "for sure?" ALEX SMITH ALMOST BEAT THEM. Troy >>>> Alex. Take away Alex's mistakes and we win that game (never would have been in position for Nate Clements to take the blame on that INT).

Remove the BS fumble in the Philly game and then the patented drive-killing INT at the end (on a throw that should have never been attempted with the heat in his face) and we probably beat Philly too.

Look at the Eagles on Monday night. They are explosive. They will score what they have to in order to win. The Falcons are a much better team and they would find a way to win. They are more explosive than us too. If we play either of those teams 10 times they win 9 respectively.
IF we had Troy Smith before the start of preseason and he had the benefit of a full camp, I see 5-4 or at best 6-3 (which is pretty damn good).

I'll attribute Alex Smith's overall mediocrity directly to losses in the Carolina, Falcons, and Eagles game. Heck, even just 2 or 3 passes thrown with better touch in the Seahawks game and the outcome could have been different.

Of course, Troy Smith may just be another 2-3 hit wonder until he falls back in the middle or end of the pack, defenses start adjusting to him, and we end up with the same 3-6 record.

There's also the same oppressive effect of Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye.

All hindsight now.
I like Troy but the answer is 3-6. The problem with this team is Singletary, not the QB. To think the team would be 6-3 removes the turdish job our coach has done this year.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by skynet907:
3-6

That's very possible. LOL. The tough away games and tougher teams would have still been mostly losses if not all.

Even the Panthers? Cmon now!

We might have won that if Alex didn't get injured.

You really think we beat the Chiefs at Chiefs with Troy Smith? The Saints game?

The Chiefs, no. We got blown out period. The Saints game I honestly believe we would have won with Troy. The guy is efficient, takes care of the ball and makes big plays when we need them. Alex Smith throws interceptions more than he throws touchdowns and can't seem to win many games.

I think the Saints, Chiefs and Falcons beat us. It's too bad Troy didn't get that part of the schedule because we would find out what we really have. No I don't know for sure.

Alex threw two ints in each game against the Saints and Falcons. I believe we would have won those if troy was playing. I would even go so far to say we would have beaten the Hawks if not for two ints and a fumble in that game even though we didn't lose that fumble. Let's not forget the two ints and game sealing fumble in the Eagles game. I say we would have won at least 3 more games.

LB
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I like Troy but the answer is 3-6. The problem with this team is Singletary, not the QB. To think the team would be 6-3 removes the turdish job our coach has done this year.

Yep. Much as I love what Troy Smith has done, there were a lot of other factors in those losses.

Coaching has been terrible. Offensive play calling only really started to get better against Carolina.... Troy might have won that game... or he might have a separated shoulder. He did just take FIVE sacks.

I worry for his health.
We barely beat Denver and St Louis with T. Smith under center, I don't know how some translate that into sure thing wins over Philly, Atlanta and New Orleans.
hard to say. We've lost 4 games by 3 points or less, so lets count those as definitely winnable if you remove turnovers. so, I'd say 7-2 would be a definite possibility.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
We barely beat Denver and St Louis with T. Smith under center, I don't know how some translate that into sure thing wins over Philly, Atlanta and New Orleans.

eliminate interceptions.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

eliminate interceptions.

If they would have blown out Denver and St Louis and not taken it down to the wire and overtime, I might be more optimistic about it.

eliminate interceptions.

If they would have blown out Denver and St Louis and not taken it down to the wire and overtime, I might be more optimistic about it.

good point. I just really think with those 4 losses, you take away ONE turnover, we win the game. No one can really say for sure though. This is like arguing over who would win in a fight, Ironman or Batman.

eliminate interceptions.

good point. I just really think with those 4 losses, you take away ONE turnover, we win the game. No one can really say for sure though. This is like arguing over who would win in a fight, Ironman or Batman.

Batman, duh.

Turn the panthers, falcons, and the saints losses into wins to give us a 6-3 record.
With or without Troy Smith we should be 6-3, unfortunately we are not, so 3-6 it is.
we would have been 10-0 including a win vs. the bye.
Share 49ersWebzone