LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

Can we bench Anthony Davis now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Davis is 20 years old, a rookie and went against a very talented vet in Long. Why did people assume he would just come in and dominate as a rookie on this level?

PLEASE STOP BASHING DAVIS!!!

You ought to bashing Singletary or even Solari. Ask yourself WHY is Rachal still starting? He can't even block a safety (Lewis) and can't provide a rookie with any slack because he's a major suck. Yet the scheme CONTINUED to keep Davis out there on an island.

Ask yourself WHY was Alex Boone AND Barry Sims inactive??? Your back-up tackles are Snyder and Wragge??? Seriously? Wragge hasn't taken a snap at OT in 2 years. And don't talk to me about 45 active because the 49ers took Matt Kopa to London... that's right Kopa. (Who??)

PERSONNEL DECISIONS are the problem with this OL, not the talent. No, Davis IS NOT KWAME. Stop the ridiculous hyperbole. Even Orlando Pace had problems against the 49ers when he was a rookie and then went on to anchor a SB line.

As PatrickJira says, don't destroy the kid's confidence by letting him feel like he (almost) lost the game on his own. That's not his fault his coach is so stupid to KEEP him in a situations where he's struggling without help.

When he has a bad game, SIMS should be at least available - you remember the guy we signed to a multi-million contract as a back-up??

Yeah, let's not put ANY of it on the player.

Let's treat him like Alex Smith and bring up every excuse in the book for him playing so atrociously.

I think we all know the reasons he sucks. Do those reasons matter? Nope. He's still hurting this team, no matter WHY he's f*cking up. His poor play is hurting our chances of winning football games and every excuse in the world is not going to change that.

I don't care WHY he sucks, the fact is, he sucks. That's all that matters.
we should never have forced him into the starting lineup.......
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
whoever thought he would come in and dominate off the bat, were asking for a humongus letdown....like now.

Nobody thought he was going to come in and dominate. But he played like a practice squad player today. High expectations or not, that is unacceptable.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Davis is 20 years old, a rookie and went against a very talented vet in Long. Why did people assume he would just come in and dominate as a rookie on this level?

You ought to bashing Singletary or even Solari. Ask yourself WHY is Rachal still starting? He can't even block a safety (Lewis) and can't provide a rookie with any slack because he's a major suck. Yet the scheme CONTINUED to keep Davis out there on an island.

Ask yourself WHY was Alex Boone AND Barry Sims inactive??? Your back-up tackles are Snyder and Wragge??? Seriously? Wragge hasn't taken a snap at OT in 2 years. And don't talk to me about 45 active because the 49ers took Matt Kopa to London... that's right Kopa. (Who??)

PERSONNEL DECISIONS are the problem with this OL, not the talent. No, Davis IS NOT KWAME. Stop the ridiculous hyperbole. Even Orlando Pace had problems against the 49ers when he was a rookie and then went on to anchor a SB line.

As PatrickJira says, don't destroy the kid's confidence by letting him feel like he (almost) lost the game on his own. That's not his fault his coach is so stupid to KEEP him in a situations where he's struggling without help.

When he has a bad game, SIMS should be at least available - you remember the guy we signed to a multi-million contract as a back-up??

Let's treat him like Alex Smith and bring up every excuse in the book for him playing so atrociously.

I think we all know the reasons he sucks. Do those reasons matter? Nope. He's still hurting this team, no matter WHY he's f*cking up. His poor play is hurting our chances of winning football games and every excuse in the world is not going to change that.

And we are stuck with him for a few years, might as well see what he has by letting him play the rest of the year....and see what he has improved on next year.

We call it a wrap with him now....what the hell was th point in drafting him.

Relax dude....We need him to get this experience. No matter how much he hinders us.

For all the mistakes he has made, he has the same amount of moments of brilliance as well.

Simple minded post.

Sorry, but it's foolish to call a guy a bust after 9 games and to say that he sucks so soon. Yes, he's look really bad at times, but to not examine as to why a ROOKIE has struggled shows that perhaps your do not know enough about what it takes to succeed on the offensive line.

To have kept Davis out on an island all season long is a tough thing to ask from a rookie. They're not excuses, they are facts.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

And we are stuck with him for a few years, might as well see what he has by letting him play the rest of the year....and see what he has improved on next year.

We call it a wrap with him now....what the hell was th point in drafting him.

Relax dude....We need him to get this experience. No matter how much he hinders us.

For all the mistakes he has made, he has the same amount of moments of brilliance as well.

agredd. he was to some degree considered raw when drafted. the alex experience shouldve taught mgnt to slot in a capable vet in order for potential talent to develop which obviously some dont understand. course things dont work that way in madden so..

+1

I don't think he is a bust, just that it is too early for him to be a starter.
[ Edited by skynet907 on Nov 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM ]
I've never liked drafting OLine. They should be good players that have proven themselves in the league as solid linemen, brought in through free agency. Plenty of guys in their prime or just before/after it are available every year.
Originally posted by Genius1310:
I've never liked drafting OLine. They should be good players that have proven themselves in the league as solid linemen, brought in through free agency. Plenty of guys in their prime or just before/after it are available every year.

Those good players usually get locked up to nice contract extensions. You usually get washed up (Barry Sims) and injury prone (Jonas Jennings) guys in free agency.
Would love to see some heat put on Chilo and Anthony. Make them compete with Snyder and Boone.

He's 20. He's getting better, he will continue to get better. He has all the physical tools. Just be patient. I'm more worried about Staley's 2nd straight serious injury than a 20 year old's short comings.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I remember people calling for V. Davis to be benched... look at him now, he had one of the best catches i've ever seen a TE make, too bad it was called back.

We really dont know what lies for A. Davis, yes he is struggling but he's young and still figuring out the game. I wouldnt be upset if he were benched in favor of a better player, but by no means should we give up on him. The talent is there he just needs a little time.

I fully agree that we need to find a Vet RG for him to play next to. Rachal is not cutting it.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I wanted Bulaga....

Same here,, or Van de Heer..
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
cant bench him with staley goin down. the backups are gonna be needed on that side and i wouldnt want a 3rd stringer against the other teams top pass rushers

Why? Anthony Davis is playing like a 3rd stringer anyway. Maybe worse.

playing next to chilo rachal doesnt help either. atleast with davis there is an upside since the guy is only 20 years old and will get better with experience. i think its the right move to leave him in to get out his growing pains. this year is basically a trial year with a slim chance at a playoff comeback but other than that they need to see what they have and let the young cats play.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That guy is horrendous. I can't belive we traded up for him. His feet are so slow...

Exactly, I am afraid he is a bust. Notice how long it takes him to get out from his stance and get his feet under him? We are in week ten and he hasn't improved. I don't think you can correct what is wrong with him. Who is drafting these guys? We probably have more 1st & 2nd round offensive lineman than anyone, and our line stinks.
Share 49ersWebzone