LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Why Smith Fell Through the Cracks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's. One. Game.
I have always thought that Troy Smith could be a decent player and he has a special quality about him on the field as someone who may make plays with his mobility..

But its very telling that he was even available for us to sign in the first place. Especially after being drafted just a few years back in the 2007 draft.

In my opinion, if he doesn't complete that off balance, prayer of pass off his back foot while staring at the sky, there is a good chance we lose that game and this debate isn't even happening. 95% of the time, that pass is picked off, IMO.

I wish nothing but the best for the guy and hope he brings us from the bottom of the NFC West to the playoffs. But I am not getting my hopes up just yet based on his 1 game performance last week against a team that gave up 59 pts the week before to Oakland.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Because he was small enough to fit?

Joe Staley is listed as 6'5... there's gotta be a a solid foot difference between their height!! Troy Smith is really 5'5?!!?!? conspiracy theory anyone?

PS - On a serious note, surely Troy is roughly the same height as Jeff Garcia? I seem to remember him doing ok.

Not wanting to start an Aaron Rodgers flame war... but i'm sure Alex's "pro height" had a bit to do with that decision.

I want football players not "pretty girls".
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by b9er37:
Height.

This

Smith was amazing in college and got looked over for his height. But if I could point out the best QB the team has had since Steve Young was Jeff Garcia who was not exactly a giant.

Smith potentially has more skills than Garcia by a mile and if he can get the team behind him I will jump on the Troy Smith bandwagon. I really like his confidence against the pass rush, he knows he can exscape slower pass rushers and keeps looking up field. With the weapons he has someone will get open.

I like Troy.

Remember what McMahon called Flutie? America's favorite midget!

I do. that's fudged up man.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by b9er37:
Height.

This

Smith was amazing in college and got looked over for his height. But if I could point out the best QB the team has had since Steve Young was Jeff Garcia who was not exactly a giant.

Smith potentially has more skills than Garcia by a mile and if he can get the team behind him I will jump on the Troy Smith bandwagon. I really like his confidence against the pass rush, he knows he can exscape slower pass rushers and keeps looking up field. With the weapons he has someone will get open.

I like Troy.

Remember what McMahon called Flutie? America's favorite midget!

I do. that's fudged up man.

And Flutie is like regular man's height.

Troy has a Mike Vick quality. Not Mike Vick before prison but maybe Mike Vick now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Milkman:

Joe Staley is listed as 6'5... there's gotta be a a solid foot difference between their height!! Troy Smith is really 5'5?!!?!? conspiracy theory anyone?

PS - On a serious note, surely Troy is roughly the same height as Jeff Garcia? I seem to remember him doing ok.

Not wanting to start an Aaron Rodgers flame war... but i'm sure Alex's "pro height" had a bit to do with that decision.

I want football players not "pretty girls".

He's shorter than 6'0".
Originally posted by Antix:
God...this is JTO all over again...

LOL, I know... I hope Troy will be the savior but it was one damn game. He looked good, but not like the second coming. I won't be on the banwagon until he plays several good games. I have my doubts.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Troy has all the tools to be a good NFL QB (I am finally in the bandwagon)! Check out these videos and it's like Deja Vu - some of his plays looked like I was watching the London game over again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udne9JTds5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOaA6vQ8DZA&feature=related

If there is one guy that could save Sing's coaching career in SF, it's Troy!
Sing will probably offer one of his daughters to him (to marry) come the end of the season if we make the playoffs, LOL! Because Troy is Sing's final salvation in the NFL!
He fell through the cracks because he was shorter than pro teams want, but also because he completely bombed in his final game, the biggest game of the season. When the chips were down, he didn't show what pro teams want - a winner.

I hope he come out and plays well but I have to temper my enthusiasm. It isn't often that the pros miss 4+ times each on a college player who later comes back to gain a starting role.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
It's. One. Game.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Ok, I am optimistic, but I am not ready to crown him king yet, or put him 3rd on the all-time 49er QB depth chart. So as of now there may not be anything to over look. To me with his mobility and pocket awareness he has a chance to be a very good quarterback, and there is no such thing as a good QB lacking in those 2 areas. The more he plays, the more film on him, the more challenging it will be for him to duplicate that 115 rating he put up, hopefully he is up to the challenge.

wow. that looks atleast like a 6-7 inch difference there between Troy and Joe. Staley is listed at 6'5, I know Troy is 6'0 (maybe even 5'11) but Joe makes Troy look about 5'9-10 there..

Thats the hight difference between me and my friends that are 6'2 + im only 5'6 :/
I was a QB in H.S and ALL my lineman were atleast 4+ inches taller than me
He fell through the cracks cause he lost to Florida 41-14, Smith completed just four of 14 passes for 35 yards along with an interception, a fumble, and was sacked 5 times.
From what I remember around 2007, Troy was knocked viciously due to:

1. Being stomped on by a powerful Florida Gators defense in the 2007 BCS Bowl with Ginn injured on the sideline (with Derrick Harvey on the D-line), in which his stock dropped dramatically. (Bowl 'failures' always result in this, even though Ohio lost as a 'collective' to a powerful Gators team; again, made up of Derrick Harvey, Tebow, and Percy Harvin.)

2. His height (5'9 - 6'0)

3. His then 'questionable' work ethic (loaded up on brownies at Heisman banquets,
skipped a number of NFL Combine workouts, and put in a meager effort on the ones he participated in).

Troy is your typical case of youthful foolishness -turned- 'grounded-leader'. After being drafted in the 5th round it really gave Troy a reality check, and it appears (to the least now) he's grown from it. Kid could have been a day 1 pick, Troy's passing accuracy at the combine was on par with Kevin Kolb's.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
It's. One. Game.

ditto.

One game where he showed moxy, not a ton of skill. He was okay, not great; but typical NT overreaction.
if i'm not mistaken, I believe that troy smith is the exact height and weight as michael vick

at least that's what it says on "madden"

haha...
Share 49ersWebzone