LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Lacking enthusiam about Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Troy Smith has done everything asked of him. He performed flawlessly, absorbing no sacks, throwing no INT's, and showing Niner fans what a real QB looks like. This article sums it up:

SMITH EXCELS DESPITE SINGLETARY'S HANDCUFFS
If Alex QB's that game, we win. The defense showed up, which it seldom does. I am sick of the blinders people have.

How many times has our defense allowed points in the last two minutes of the game? Regardless of what Singletary says, it is our defense that hasn't showed up this year.

If Clements falls down after intercepting a pass, we win another game.

If our defense shows up at agains the Eagles we win that game too.

If we get one stop against the Saints-after Bush is out of the game-we win that game too.

I am happy to have T. Smith give it a go, but if people think that he is going to win games when the defense plays like it has with Alex they're in for a rude awakening.
[ Edited by bigwads on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:18 AM ]
GIANTS WORLD CHAMPS
I'll be excited when I see a winning team. Smith's play was just average. I'm not down on Troy just didn't see anything to get excited about.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I was not thrilled that Troy Smith got the start, Nate Davis is the guy I hoped would be groomed for the future.

I watched the game and came away impressed with how Troy was eluding pass rushers. He also was able to throw accurate passes while rolling out to the right. Alex Smith was never good in these two areas.

So this is what I believe that Troy Smith is the kind of Qb Sing likes that will not make mistakes and can at some point in games keep the chains moving. Any how I believe Sing is on his way out so he can go with any guy he wants. If the niners end 8-8 or better than I will be sad if the Yorks keep Singleterry.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'll be excited when, at halftime (of a game in the future) we have 20 yards rushing, and troy is forced to put the team on his back and WIN the game for us.

I'd like someone other than Gore (on offense) to win a game for us.

Wow! I just enjoyed winning a game. Dont care whose back its on.
Ill admit the game plan sucked. But this coaching staff sucks. The execution wasnt great. But this team hasnt been executing all season long. So when a third stringer comes in and shows that he can play and the team gets a surprising win, Ill take it. This is still one of the worst teams in the league. But hey. we won one!
Originally posted by bigwads:
If Alex QB's that game, we win. The defense showed up, which it seldom does. I am sick of the blinders people have.

How many times has our defense allowed points in the last two minutes of the game? Regardless of what Singletary says, it is our defense that hasn't showed up this year.

If we get one stop against the Saints-after Bush is out of the game-we win that game too.

I am happy to have T. Smith give it a go, but if people think that he is going to win games when the defense plays like it has with Alex they're in for a rude awakening.

And u know Big Wad I dont see what the big deal is tho. I mean of course we give T. Smith his props, but i mean to not pay attention to the above mentioned is just crazy. For all the things that people said they saw, u can find at least 10 other people that saw the same thing, but look at it from a different perspective.

I mean he kept tons of plays alive, but had our D stepped up like you said in the above game, then we wouldnt be where we are now. I even went a step farther and said I remember over the years, when we beat sorry ass teams, tons of fans made sure to point that out. So it's no different with Denver in my opinion.

They say we are nearing the easiest part of the schedule, so thats a great way to look at it. A. Smith played the hardest part in the first half, and now T. if he is the starter will now play the easiest part. Uncomparable in my opinion.
I am proud of how Smith played the 2nd half, but I will be more impressed if he can beat the Rams
Troy showed something that Alex never has: the ability to make a play when things break down. Bill Walsh called it functional intelligence, and it's something our QB's haven't had since Jeff Garcia. Yes, we should be cautiously optimistic, but we should also recognize what Troy brings to the table.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
its cuz he's black.

• SFGem
  • Veteran
if Troy Smith beats the Rams he should hands down be the official starter.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
its cuz he's black.

Bingo!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ It was 1 game.
~ Against a horrific team.
~ Against a team with a lot of injuries.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

This

And the defense won the game holding the Bronco's to zip in the first half and getting that crucial turnover deep in their territory. The only halfway decent part of the Bronco's is their offense, their defense is perhaps the worst in the NFL.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ It was 1 game.
~ Against a horrific team.
~ Against a team with a lot of injuries.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

This

And the defense won the game holding the Bronco's to zip in the first half and getting that crucial turnover deep in their territory. The only halfway decent part of the Bronco's is their offense, their defense is perhaps the worst in the NFL.

The Defense???? you kidding me??? The Defense gave up nearly 400 yards in passing...The only reason we won is because of SPECIAL TEAMS. The 3 touchdowns we got were because of excellent Field Position.

the way i see it is...Troy Smith's a baller and the broncos had the gun this time, and decided to shoot themselves in the foot.

*EDIT...i just remembered the fumble that Manny Lawson forced. disregard the Defense bash...they Bend but dont break
[ Edited by CrankDatCrabtree on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by bigwads:

And u know Big Wad I dont see what the big deal is tho. I mean of course we give T. Smith his props, but i mean to not pay attention to the above mentioned is just crazy. For all the things that people said they saw, u can find at least 10 other people that saw the same thing, but look at it from a different perspective.

I mean he kept tons of plays alive, but had our D stepped up like you said in the above game, then we wouldnt be where we are now. I even went a step farther and said I remember over the years, when we beat sorry ass teams, tons of fans made sure to point that out. So it's no different with Denver in my opinion.

They say we are nearing the easiest part of the schedule, so thats a great way to look at it. A. Smith played the hardest part in the first half, and now T. if he is the starter will now play the easiest part. Uncomparable in my opinion.

Like Alex lovers like you have on? Troy Smith had a 115 rating and people have called his performance "average" I have seen Alex Smith get a 75 and people give him a "B grade". It is called "bias", nothing more.
Share 49ersWebzone