Lacking enthusiam about Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ It was 1 game.
~ Against a horrific team.
~ Against a team with a lot of injuries.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

~ He's not Alex Smith so his efforts will not be praised.

good one...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Everybody knows that Troy is not the long term answer. I'm just happy that we don't have to watch Alex play anymore.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
~ It was 1 game.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

If Alex played that game and lost (which I'm sure he would have, given he couldn't even beat the Panthers), you would have said:

~ It was a team loss
~ Our D could't stop Lloyd, which was why we lost
~ Nedney wasn't accurate
~ Too many penalties that can't all be put on Alex
~ Our O-line didn't give him enough time
~ VD was out of the game
~ Morgan is overrated
~ Sing sucks
~ It was in London and the team was tired
~ Smith's coordinator just got changed and has no balls and is Sing's puppet
~ Gore kept getting inexplicably pulled for Dixon and Westbrook
~ We had a weak gameplan
~ Our WR's have alligator arms, run wrong routes, and would be backups on other teams
~ etc. (many other Alexcuses)
I know you don't like to give Alex blame when he deserves it, but at least give Troy credit when he does.

dude, give it a rest.

actually, I'm just playing back what I hear. I'm glad you're tired of it. I am too.

call it out when it happens, then. stop inserting into every conversation about everything.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
~ It was 1 game.

If Alex played that game and lost (which I'm sure he would have, given he couldn't even beat the Panthers), you would have said:

~ It was a team loss
~ Nedney wasn't accurate
~ VD was out of the game
~ Morgan is overrated
~ Sing sucks
~ We had a weak gameplan
~ Our WR's have alligator arms, run wrong routes, and would be backups on other teams
I know you don't like to give Alex blame when he deserves it, but at least give Troy credit when he does.

dude, give it a rest.

actually, I'm just playing back what I hear. I'm glad you're tired of it. I am too.

So basically you're using it as an opportunity to troll people and beat your chest.
I'll tell you why I cannot get excited. History tells us that it is extremely rare for a QB who languishes on another team's roster for three years to then catapult to an elite player. QBs are not judged by how they play one or even a few games. They must sustain quality play through a season, and for some here, they must have what it takes in the post season. Not many crack that elite status. I am prepared to watch and wait, but I am afraid his flaws will soon manisfest themselves.

For those who cannot wait to get our next great one from the draft, that route looks dismal as well. If Troy is as good as some think he will be, we will not draft in the top 5. I looked at all the QBs drafted in the first round during the last eight years. There are 23 of them, and most are "busts" or are ordinary so far. Only 2 have QB ratings above 89. So getting an elite in the first round is still a long shot - maybe a 10% chance.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

How can you not be excited?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

Black drew brees?
Yup, I'm waiting for reality to hit.

-9fA
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

Black drew brees?

Japanese Larry Allen?
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

Black drew brees?

Japanese Larry Allen?

mexican peyton manging?

with the same O ersonel he did more than Alex, he actually made the plays he needed. There is reason to feel a little excitment....and I don't buy into the game film bs teams have film on every qb that starts and do they stop them all the time?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

Black drew brees?

Japanese Larry Allen?

mexican peyton manging?

Chinese Ronnie Lott?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

Black drew brees?

Japanese Larry Allen?

mexican peyton manging?

afghanistan bubba paris
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Because this is the same "hope" that people had about Shaun Hill, Pickett, JTO, and yes even the other Smith. Same "hopeful" feeling the last few off seasons.

It was all false hope and over rated hype. Why will Troy Smith be any different? Honestly. I think had Alex not been injured we would have beat Carolina, Denver and went into the bye 3-5. But in the end it doesn't really matter. He's still not that good and at the end of the day...we still need a new QB. Same with Troy Smith...we handed the ball off 35+ times and yes he made plays when he needed to (like most back ups do) ...but it doesn't change the fact that we have a serious need at GM, head coach, QB, and a litany of other areas.

So yeah..it's hard to get "pumped" up about the this win. I mean it's nice and it's a cool story in a "Rudy" kinda way. I'm rooting for Troy the same way I'd root for any 3rd stringer who never gets a chance and works hard. But beyond that...it's hard to get excited about this team.

But hey...I could be wrong and Troy Smith could be our savior and the next Favre-Flutie-hero type player. That'd be awesome for sure.

Go 49ers.

First of all either way you look at it the next starting qb we get will have his fair share of hope and hype whether through the draft or FA, if we end up with Andrew luck or ryan mallet etc our hopes will rest with an unproven talent that has never thrown an NFL pass, if we get whoever at qb during FA we'll be signing a qb that probablly wasnt resigned by his original team for a reason, we could be easily be looking at a back to square one, 2-3 year project at qb, who then (if drafted) could turn out to be the next alex smith. So our next "hope" at qb is gonna have overrated hype and false hope surrounding him.

Second, you are underestimating troy smith. He has what Hill pickett and JTO and even alex dont have which is raw talent. Not to mention that if not for the tonsilitis would have been starting for the Ravens in 08, so to call him some rudy type backup third stringer is innacurate considering he might be the best all around qb on our team. All i know is that sunday I watched a qb with limited playbook knowledge and short notice play with more guts and moxy than alex smith has ever shown, some dudes just have that "IT" that it takes to play qb in this league, look how many big armed flameouts have been drafted in the first round, look at dudes like tony romo and drew brees, tom brady, they werent high draft picks and had to sit for a while before they came into their own. If troy has that "IT" then we should stick with him a qb, period. And with this season, anythings possible and it doesnt hurt to hope or dream at this point, so i'll remain optimistic until im am shown otherwise, either way we'll take a qb in the draft next year and all the great hope/ hype talk will start all over again.
[ Edited by qwestlove94 on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM ]
~ It was 1 game.

~ It was a team loss
~ Nedney wasn't accurate
~ VD was out of the game
~ Morgan is overrated
~ Sing sucks
~ We had a weak gameplan

This is the kind of post you get when you hold in your poop for too long.
[ Edited by LoboLtnLvr49er on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone