LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by BobS:
21% of the zone still on Alex's nuts, unreal. What is wrong with you people? Do you want another 6 years of sucking? The team needs a change at QB, even if Troy Smith isn't the long term answer. Troy played pretty decent, and you still want Alex back? I guess you enjoy your team stinking up the place week after week.

Going to have to agree with BobS.
[ Edited by BringBackTO on Oct 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Does it really matter? We still will have the same guy "calling" the plays. If we have offensive balance without turnovers we will win. Its pretty much that simple.

This!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by susweel:
Hopefully Alex never starts again.

i don't hate alex personally it's just time to move on

I don't hate personallyeither because I don't know him personally.

Yeah you do, thats exactly why he quoted you lol
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley

At the same time, our play-calling was even more atrocious. Troy should have been given more chances to throw. Denver's defense wasn't an advantage for Troy due to the off-setting disadvantage of having our play-calling.

If you're gonna make excuses, make them both ways.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Considering the play calling all season long has put our QBs' in a position of having to play catchup regardless of the points put on the board in the first half.

But I forgot it's all on #11. Get real.

~Ceadder

Give me a break. I don't want to get into much of an argument with you because you'll go snitching to the mods when you can't take what's being said, but you're not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree if you think Alex Smith's play-calling was EVER as bad as Troy Smith's was today. Once Mike Johnson came in, Alex was getting good plays called. Today was probably Singletary's doing, but it was the most vanilla gameplan in years - worse than anything Jimmy Raye ever did.

First off I don't snitch to the Mods. I'll call you out right here if I get offended and you know this. If I do report people they deserve to be reported. In the last 3 years I may have reported 2 people. In fact I generally end up working off a pretty big warning every season. Last year I was up to 75%. Now I'm working off 30% if thing don't get out of hand. lol

And yes Smith's play calling was worse than Troy's was today. In fact it was markedly worse in the Seattle game and the KC game.

When it was good was when Smith was in 2 minute and calling his OWN plays. Sing needs to let the guy just call his own plays. I'm not saying that he'll succeed but it's better than what we're getting now. And it shouldn't be worse. If it is then make the change and go back to calling the stupid plays that we got in the 1st 7 weeks.

The plays were called the way they were today cause Sing didn't know what he has in Troy Smith and rather than let the kid make mistakes(he did anyway but got lucky, thankfully so) Johnson called on Frank a lot against a team that has the worst Run Defense in the League. So much so that the Raiders dropped 59 points on them. I didn't agree with all the touches given to Frank today but you have to admit when you have a question mark at the QB position with a 4th year player who has only 2 touches to his name you take precautions and call a safe game. Unfortunately safe games cost us Games. No other team loses games by doing the correct thing. But we do.

~Ceadder

You seriously have got to be the most delusional fan I've ever seen. You make the other Smith homers look bad.
The lucky one! Troy has a little something, something that Alex lacks, LUCK! That deep toss of the back foot cross body deep into double coverage by to Probowl corners? The lame duck ball that came down like a bad punt? Pure GOOD luck!, Now way Alex Smith doesn't get picked!

The fumble on the scramble that bounces right back to Troy? more good luck, if that were Alex, a bronco would have scooped it up for 6!

Lucky with a swagger, got to like that!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
The competent one. Captain Checkdown should ride the pine until the season is over and his sorry ass is released for good.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
this isnt even a question....

its troy
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
No question in my mind that Troy did enough today to deserve a 2nd look. Besides; if sh*t starts to go sideways and Troy isn't getting it done, Alex is the best option we have coming in off the bench if we need to go to the hurry up in the 2nd half. Nobody else has had enough reps and/or knowledge of the playbook to dig us out of a hole. Troy's job to lose and Alex has to truly prove that he wants it back.

Did you really just say it's Troy's job to lose? Why is everyone so delusional today? We are still an underachieving team with some below average QB play. However, Alex is the best option we have at QB. To say otherwise is just mad.

Also, I'm not even completely sold on Troy as the number 2. Carr came out last week with the handcuffs on and looked terrible. As did Troy today, he looked better in the 2nd half.(stats a little skewed with that bomb to Walker) Carr was at the very least an average QB who never got a fair shake and he won't get it here either.

So if a defender is running straight at Alex Smith or David Carr unblocked, what will happen?
Perhaps a sack? Or perhaps Smith will run straight backwards, then to the sideline and then throw the ball out of bounds?

Troy Smith was able to duck and dodge UNBLOCKED defenders coming at him, and then complete the pass. This is also known as "making a play."

I'm curious if you go through each play, in which circumstance could you tell yourself, "you know what, Alex Smith would have made something out of that play where Troy Smith did not." No. It is the opposite. Alex Smith or David Carr would have been sacked several times during that game.

Does Troy Smith have a weaker arm? Poor vision? What? What is the part of play where you think, "wow" Alex Smith is really an improvement over Troy Smith?

Troy Smith was barely given any opportunity to throw the ball with only 3 days of practice, but he was able to make plays, instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. In contrast, after 6 years, and countless practice hours, I can't see what Alex CAN do that Troy CAN'T do. Troy Smith did everything Alex Smith or David Carr would have done in that game PLUS some extra.

If Alex Smith gets the start next game, and we lose, this fan base will go apoplectic. Yes, Troy Smith WILL start next game, and as long as he keeps winning, its not going to change.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
The lucky one! Troy has a little something, something that Alex lacks, LUCK! That deep toss of the back foot cross body deep into double coverage by to Probowl corners? The lame duck ball that came down like a bad punt? Pure GOOD luck!, Now way Alex Smith doesn't get picked!

The fumble on the scramble that bounces right back to Troy? more good luck, if that were Alex, a bronco would have scooped it up for 6!

Lucky with a swagger, got to like that!

I think you're being sarcastic. But I just want to point out that I would rather have a talented, "lucky" quarterback who makes plays, then a solid, "unlucky" game manager.
The Smith with the highest winning percentage.

Neither, Mrs Smith's pies should start.
Originally posted by Shaj:
The competent one. Captain Checkdown should ride the pine until the season is over and his sorry ass is released for good.

But this is a very important point.

Troy Smith can make PLAYS. It doesn't matter how competent, incompetent, bad, good, lucky or whatever he is. What matters is that he can do everything Carr and Smith can do, PLUS he can make plays.
It will be interesting to see what Troy will look like wiht 2 weeks of prep. Alex wont be playing yet. No need to rush him back. Go with the hot hand
This is probably the first game I saw that a 49ers QB didn't roll to the right and throw out of bounds.

It was amazing!
All the people complaining about the play-calling realize that we dramatically scaled down the playbook to take pressure off of T. Smith, right?
Share 49ersWebzone