There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex's Injury?

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Per the Twitterz..

Alex is going to London.

n****r should have still been throwing after that get him a shot and get his pads on him and get a big jacket we needed his arm over carr to win. where's the alex with a cig picture. i still blame nolan for making this team mentally weak.

What's that first word supposed to be????
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by kazak13:
well any info on how serious it is? I couldnt catch it on tv..

so how much more do we appreciate Alex now that we seen David Carr? Troy Smith in anytime soon?

Smith's career in SF is done. Up to this point, his play was questionable at best. I know his fans will say he played great today, but Im sorry.......scoring on your opening drive and then not making any noise against the worst team in the NFL is not something to build on.

Regardless of him returning, his supporters now have new ammo to defend him; INJURY.

I think his time here is over. Even if he misses 4 weeks, he doesnt have enough time to convince front management for an extension. Plus his injury will ply aq role in all this.

As for Carr stinking, yeah I guess if people want to use Carr's bad play to praise Smith, then all the power to them. In reality, all the QBs stink, and this was done on purpose by Sing so that Smith would have no competition.

haha, you're f**king ridiculous. and news flash: We are the worst team in the NFL.

News Flash we Draft Andrew LUCK!!!

Yes!!! Let's draft another potential first round bust!!!

every draft pick is a POTENTIAL 1st round bust. Luck is a sav and he comes from a pro style offense. he'll be just fine if we get LUCKY enough to draft him.

I thought so too before he got dismantled by Oregon's defense in the second half of their matchup. He looked like a deer in the headlights during that second half. Reminded me of Smith. I don't want to waste another 6 years, so just say no to Luck...

so we should only draft QBs who are undefeated in college? Oregon is probably the best team in the country. it was only one game dude

It's not e result of the game. It's what I saw in him that game. I watched that game twice. Once to watch the ducks, and another to watch Luck. Bottom line is I saw him panic. They were still in a position to win yet once he panicked, he pretty much shut down. Not a good mental quality for a NFL quarterback. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't take the risk. I've been right way more than I've been wrong in predicting how 1st round quarterbacks would fare in the NFL and my gut tells me no.

I could be wrong... Who knows? If we end up taking him, I'll hope I am wrong and support him until I just can't take it anymore, as I did Smith(but no longer).
A lot of you guys are delusional when it comes to bashing Alex Smith.

- Alex Smith is the best QB CURRENTLY on the roster.

The Plan SHOULD be:
1.) Fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach
The problem we've had is a lack of continuity on offense. And philosophically, we've carried a ball-control team that relied on a good defense to win games. True, that CAN win ballgames, as seen with the Ravens and Steelers... But I think the fans have had enough with this line of thinking. MOST winning teams in the league are quarterback-driven.

One of the major problems we've had is the lack of continuity on offense. By hiring an offensive-minded coach, that problem is solved for as long as he's head coach. It'll be HIS offense. I'd prefer if he keeps Mike Johnson, because I think he'll be a good play-caller in the long-run. It'd be nice to be a West Coast Offense, but it all depends on who is available at the time. If Mike Johnson can adapt and run a WCO, or whatever offense the new HC wants, that'd be good. If not, we'll have to see him go.

Gruden, in my opinion, is our best choice. He runs a West Coast offense, but uses a power-running variation of it. It would fit our personnel very well, and we'd have minimal turnover as he brings in guys that would fit his scheme. But all in all... it depends on who's available.

2A.) Look for a free agent QB or trade for one.
This team is ready to win now. Unfortunately for Alex this season, the offensive line is too young and inexperienced for a marginal QB to win with. A superstar QB like Manning probably could win, but not a QB on the fringe like Alex.

By next season though, HOPEFULLY the line will have progressed like it should have. They should be able to take care of whoever is their QB. (That's a big if, and a question the head coach needs to seriously consider).

But we need to try to upgrade the QB position via a trade or free agent signing. The offense has everything it needs, except the QB. The offensive line needs time to gel. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Alex that it had to be this season... but it is what it is. By next year, the only missing piece on offense is the QB.

2B.) Draft a QB high in the draft.
Alex Smith may or may not be the answer (most will probably say he is NOT). But if we cannot find a veteran QB, we must draft a QB. That QB will be in a very good situation, especially if we fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.

Reason I say he'll be in a good situation is this... This rookie will not be (hopefully!) on a team that just went 2-14 like Alex Smith did. He'll have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Frank Gore as weapons. He'll (hopefully) have an emerging offensive line that had experienced its growing pains the season before.

3.) Retain Alex Smith for 2 years
Unless we land a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the QB situation will likely be questionable. We'll most likely get a solid veteran on the level of Kyle Orton, or someone like that.

Or, if we went with Option 1B and drafted a QB, he'll be a rookie. Who knows if he'll be ready to play? With an established offensive cast, he could potentially have a rookie season a la Ryan or Sanchez... or he might need some time.

If it's the latter, rather than the former, we'll need someone who knows the offense and has a decent amount of chemistry with his teammates. That man could be Alex Smith. It also gives a LONGSHOT chance that Alex could bust a Drew Brees, but it's more to give the rookie QB time to groom.
Check out this video of ADavis getting easily fooled and easily swept aside and then diving to get the rusher that might have ended Smith's season. Man, I don't know about this dude.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b9103b/article/smith-injures-nonthrowing-shoulder-in-49ers-loss-to-panthers
Offer Manning the largest contract in history.

Yay!! Good dream, weeeeeeee!!
Originally posted by Wubbie:
A lot of you guys are delusional when it comes to bashing Alex Smith.

- Alex Smith is the best QB CURRENTLY on the roster.

The Plan SHOULD be:
1.) Fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach
The problem we've had is a lack of continuity on offense. And philosophically, we've carried a ball-control team that relied on a good defense to win games. True, that CAN win ballgames, as seen with the Ravens and Steelers... But I think the fans have had enough with this line of thinking. MOST winning teams in the league are quarterback-driven.

One of the major problems we've had is the lack of continuity on offense. By hiring an offensive-minded coach, that problem is solved for as long as he's head coach. It'll be HIS offense. I'd prefer if he keeps Mike Johnson, because I think he'll be a good play-caller in the long-run. It'd be nice to be a West Coast Offense, but it all depends on who is available at the time. If Mike Johnson can adapt and run a WCO, or whatever offense the new HC wants, that'd be good. If not, we'll have to see him go.

Gruden, in my opinion, is our best choice. He runs a West Coast offense, but uses a power-running variation of it. It would fit our personnel very well, and we'd have minimal turnover as he brings in guys that would fit his scheme. But all in all... it depends on who's available.

2A.) Look for a free agent QB or trade for one.
This team is ready to win now. Unfortunately for Alex this season, the offensive line is too young and inexperienced for a marginal QB to win with. A superstar QB like Manning probably could win, but not a QB on the fringe like Alex.

By next season though, HOPEFULLY the line will have progressed like it should have. They should be able to take care of whoever is their QB. (That's a big if, and a question the head coach needs to seriously consider).

But we need to try to upgrade the QB position via a trade or free agent signing. The offense has everything it needs, except the QB. The offensive line needs time to gel. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Alex that it had to be this season... but it is what it is. By next year, the only missing piece on offense is the QB.

2B.) Draft a QB high in the draft.
Alex Smith may or may not be the answer (most will probably say he is NOT). But if we cannot find a veteran QB, we must draft a QB. That QB will be in a very good situation, especially if we fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.

Reason I say he'll be in a good situation is this... This rookie will not be (hopefully!) on a team that just went 2-14 like Alex Smith did. He'll have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Frank Gore as weapons. He'll (hopefully) have an emerging offensive line that had experienced its growing pains the season before.

3.) Retain Alex Smith for 2 years
Unless we land a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the QB situation will likely be questionable. We'll most likely get a solid veteran on the level of Kyle Orton, or someone like that.

Or, if we went with Option 1B and drafted a QB, he'll be a rookie. Who knows if he'll be ready to play? With an established offensive cast, he could potentially have a rookie season a la Ryan or Sanchez... or he might need some time.

If it's the latter, rather than the former, we'll need someone who knows the offense and has a decent amount of chemistry with his teammates. That man could be Alex Smith. It also gives a LONGSHOT chance that Alex could bust a Drew Brees, but it's more to give the rookie QB time to groom.
Trouble with the FA approach is that there are no QBs out there that will be any better than Smith has been the past three games.

Tony Dungy commented on the post game show tonight about how poor QB play has been around the league this year. He mentioned Tony Romo and others who are just not playing well.

Aaron Rodgers now has 10 INTs and his team got lucky tonight that Favre threw 3 INTs to leave GB with the win. Rodgers was terrible tonight. Not on the same page with receivers on half a dozen plays. That is typical of the QB situation for more than half the teams.
If he's out more than 2 weeks, his time with the 49ers will be over. He will be released by the end of the season.
If he's out more than 2 weeks, his time with the 49ers will be over. He will be released by the end of the season.
Alex might be out for awhile, I heard he has a separated shoulder on his non-throwing arm.
so much bashing here on NT, lol you would swear that we were rooting for some other team lol. im sinking with the 9ers, loyal to the end
so there is no way he plays next weekend?
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Per the Twitterz..

Alex is going to London.

n****r should have still been throwing after that get him a shot and get his pads on him and get a big jacket we needed his arm over carr to win. where's the alex with a cig picture. i still blame nolan for making this team mentally weak.

What's that first word supposed to be????

I heard that the non-throwing shoulder sprain is not as bad as the shoulder separation he had in 2007. Reportedly, Alex said it felt similar and so he thinks it might be separated, but by far not as badly as the previous one.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by defender49:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by defender49:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex had a pretty good first drive to open the game -- but then settled into the mediocrity of play that we've come to see from him.

Blame Anthony Davis all you want for the injury -- and he did blow that block -- but you can also cite Mr. Smith's lack of awareness in the backfield, pocket presence, whatever you want to call it. We have seen this lack of a pocket presence again and again and again from him.

He didn't even see the defensive end coming at him. The hit caught him totally by surprise.

Sorry -- but an NFL QB just CANNOT DO THAT. You must be AWARE of the speed rushers on the edge -- and it's not like Davis was holding the point to begin with. Smith should have known he wasn't going to have a lot of time - but instead he just looked the other direction as we ALL KNEW what was about to happen.

We won't really know the extent of his injury until he gets an MRI -- but I think his career in San Francisco is pretty much finished at this point. And -- unless another team takes a flyer on a QB with two busted up shoulders (highly unlikely kids) -- his career in the NFL is probably over as well.

A sad ending to an equally sad era in San Francisco 49er Football.

lack of awareness? HOW many times have we seen Alex scramble from being pressured or throw it away to avoid a sack this year? he was hit from his BLIND spot. a spot "most" QB's can't see coming.

FYI, a right handed QB's blind spot is his left side. He got hit from the right. I think he should have seen it coming. I don't think he's out of football, however. He will have a long journeyman career most likely, with a few fill-in starts here and there.

FYI if you're focusing on the very left side of the field and not the right, it still creates a blind spot

Billbird had it right, that is just lack of awareness....

that is not a pack of awReness. The play was designed to go to the left so he had his back to the RDE. There were 3 blockers taking on 2 rushers alex "knew" he was covered over there and you can see he started to move as he got hit. How is any QB supposed to expect a guy to come untouched.

QBs don't feel the presssure they just have a clock in their head and know where a vulnerable spot is.
If Alex is injured for the year, the only good part is that we are almost guaranteed the number 1 overall draft pick.

I say we roll the dice again on a quarterback. Some teams get lucky, (Peyton Manning) and other teams get unlucky (David Carr), but as Sam Bradford is demonstrating, having a play-maker at quarterback rather than a "game manager" changes the entire complexion of what your team is capable of, and it provides a huge shot in the arm of confidence. The Rams are an ideal example of this.

[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 25, 2010 at 00:08:56 ]