There are 149 users in the forums

Alex's Injury?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If Alex is injured for the year, the only good part is that we are almost guaranteed the number 1 overall draft pick.

I say we roll the dice again on a quarterback. Some teams get lucky, (Peyton Manning) and other teams get unlucky (David Carr), but as Sam Bradford is demonstrating, having a play-maker at quarterback rather than a "game manager" changes the entire complexion of what your team is capable of, and it provides a huge shot in the arm of confidence. The Rams are an ideal example of this.

its NEARLY a crap shoot...heck i'd even take Favre NEXT YEAR..well not really, but thats how i feel right now
Originally posted by Wubbie:
A lot of you guys are delusional when it comes to bashing Alex Smith.

- Alex Smith is the best QB CURRENTLY on the roster.

The Plan SHOULD be:
1.) Fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach
The problem we've had is a lack of continuity on offense. And philosophically, we've carried a ball-control team that relied on a good defense to win games. True, that CAN win ballgames, as seen with the Ravens and Steelers... But I think the fans have had enough with this line of thinking. MOST winning teams in the league are quarterback-driven.

One of the major problems we've had is the lack of continuity on offense. By hiring an offensive-minded coach, that problem is solved for as long as he's head coach. It'll be HIS offense. I'd prefer if he keeps Mike Johnson, because I think he'll be a good play-caller in the long-run. It'd be nice to be a West Coast Offense, but it all depends on who is available at the time. If Mike Johnson can adapt and run a WCO, or whatever offense the new HC wants, that'd be good. If not, we'll have to see him go.

Gruden, in my opinion, is our best choice. He runs a West Coast offense, but uses a power-running variation of it. It would fit our personnel very well, and we'd have minimal turnover as he brings in guys that would fit his scheme. But all in all... it depends on who's available.

2A.) Look for a free agent QB or trade for one.
This team is ready to win now. Unfortunately for Alex this season, the offensive line is too young and inexperienced for a marginal QB to win with. A superstar QB like Manning probably could win, but not a QB on the fringe like Alex.

By next season though, HOPEFULLY the line will have progressed like it should have. They should be able to take care of whoever is their QB. (That's a big if, and a question the head coach needs to seriously consider).

But we need to try to upgrade the QB position via a trade or free agent signing. The offense has everything it needs, except the QB. The offensive line needs time to gel. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Alex that it had to be this season... but it is what it is. By next year, the only missing piece on offense is the QB.

2B.) Draft a QB high in the draft.
Alex Smith may or may not be the answer (most will probably say he is NOT). But if we cannot find a veteran QB, we must draft a QB. That QB will be in a very good situation, especially if we fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.

Reason I say he'll be in a good situation is this... This rookie will not be (hopefully!) on a team that just went 2-14 like Alex Smith did. He'll have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Frank Gore as weapons. He'll (hopefully) have an emerging offensive line that had experienced its growing pains the season before.

3.) Retain Alex Smith for 2 years
Unless we land a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the QB situation will likely be questionable. We'll most likely get a solid veteran on the level of Kyle Orton, or someone like that.

Or, if we went with Option 1B and drafted a QB, he'll be a rookie. Who knows if he'll be ready to play? With an established offensive cast, he could potentially have a rookie season a la Ryan or Sanchez... or he might need some time.

If it's the latter, rather than the former, we'll need someone who knows the offense and has a decent amount of chemistry with his teammates. That man could be Alex Smith. It also gives a LONGSHOT chance that Alex could bust a Drew Brees, but it's more to give the rookie QB time to groom.

Wait..

Did you just say "retain Alex Smith for two years?"

Why on God's Green Earth WHY? Isn't this season ENOUGH for you already? You really want him back at the controls?

Nope -- I say we cut our losses. Alex Smith is gone. I don't care if he develops into Superman with another team. Who gives a rat's hind end? I don't. I want Alex GONE. Period. End of story.

The rest of your post I agree with. Kind of. Well -- to be honest -- my eyes kind of glazed over with that "Retain Alex Smith" part. I started barfing on my computer screen from that point forward.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CrankDatCrabtree:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If Alex is injured for the year, the only good part is that we are almost guaranteed the number 1 overall draft pick.

I say we roll the dice again on a quarterback. Some teams get lucky, (Peyton Manning) and other teams get unlucky (David Carr), but as Sam Bradford is demonstrating, having a play-maker at quarterback rather than a "game manager" changes the entire complexion of what your team is capable of, and it provides a huge shot in the arm of confidence. The Rams are an ideal example of this.

its NEARLY a crap shoot...heck i'd even take Favre NEXT YEAR..well not really, but thats how i feel right now

A sad fact is why the H*LL would Favre take a job here? We are that sucky right now.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

The Plan SHOULD be:
The problem we've had is a lack of continuity on offense. And philosophically, we've carried a ball-control team that relied on a good defense to win games. True, that CAN win ballgames, as seen with the Ravens and Steelers... But I think the fans have had enough with this line of thinking. MOST winning teams in the league are quarterback-driven.

One of the major problems we've had is the lack of continuity on offense. By hiring an offensive-minded coach, that problem is solved for as long as he's head coach. It'll be HIS offense. I'd prefer if he keeps Mike Johnson, because I think he'll be a good play-caller in the long-run. It'd be nice to be a West Coast Offense, but it all depends on who is available at the time. If Mike Johnson can adapt and run a WCO, or whatever offense the new HC wants, that'd be good. If not, we'll have to see him go.

Gruden, in my opinion, is our best choice. He runs a West Coast offense, but uses a power-running variation of it. It would fit our personnel very well, and we'd have minimal turnover as he brings in guys that would fit his scheme. But all in all... it depends on who's available.

This team is ready to win now. Unfortunately for Alex this season, the offensive line is too young and inexperienced for a marginal QB to win with. A superstar QB like Manning probably could win, but not a QB on the fringe like Alex.

By next season though, HOPEFULLY the line will have progressed like it should have. They should be able to take care of whoever is their QB. (That's a big if, and a question the head coach needs to seriously consider).

But we need to try to upgrade the QB position via a trade or free agent signing. The offense has everything it needs, except the QB. The offensive line needs time to gel. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Alex that it had to be this season... but it is what it is. By next year, the only missing piece on offense is the QB.

Alex Smith may or may not be the answer (most will probably say he is NOT). But if we cannot find a veteran QB, we must draft a QB. That QB will be in a very good situation, especially if we fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.

Reason I say he'll be in a good situation is this... This rookie will not be (hopefully!) on a team that just went 2-14 like Alex Smith did. He'll have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Frank Gore as weapons. He'll (hopefully) have an emerging offensive line that had experienced its growing pains the season before.

Unless we land a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the QB situation will likely be questionable. We'll most likely get a solid veteran on the level of Kyle Orton, or someone like that.

Or, if we went with Option 1B and drafted a QB, he'll be a rookie. Who knows if he'll be ready to play? With an established offensive cast, he could potentially have a rookie season a la Ryan or Sanchez... or he might need some time.

If it's the latter, rather than the former, we'll need someone who knows the offense and has a decent amount of chemistry with his teammates. That man could be Alex Smith. It also gives a LONGSHOT chance that Alex could bust a Drew Brees, but it's more to give the rookie QB time to groom.

Wait..

Why on God's Green Earth WHY? Isn't this season ENOUGH for you already? You really want him back at the controls?

Nope -- I say we cut our losses. Alex Smith is gone. I don't care if he develops into Superman with another team. Who gives a rat's hind end? I don't. I want Alex GONE. Period. End of story.

The rest of your post I agree with. Kind of. Well -- to be honest -- my eyes kind of glazed over with that "Retain Alex Smith" part. I started barfing on my computer screen from that point forward.

That's great. Who do you want at QB? Draft a rook and hope it pans out? Or get a s*itty retread free agent QB. It's VERY rare to have a solid starting QB on the market. Smith will probably be the best option until a youngster is groomed.

Or, there might be Shaun Hill. Boy, if we had him we would be the best team in the NFL. He is amazing.
he will play Sunday
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by sacniner:

The Plan SHOULD be:

Wait..

That's great. Who do you want at QB? Draft a rook and hope it pans out? Or get a s*itty retread free agent QB. It's VERY rare to have a solid starting QB on the market. Smith will probably be the best option until a youngster is groomed.

Or, there might be Shaun Hill. Boy, if we had him we would be the best team in the NFL. He is amazing.

The problem isnt necessarily keeping Smith. It's the baggage that comes with him. The guy has broken a lot of hearts in Ninerland. Even if we could keep him as a backup, everytime he miscues he'll be booed and the general consensus in Ninerland will be, "same old Alex". He's image in San Fran is irreparable at this point.

Both sides need a break from each other. Alex needs to go else where and start fresh, and Niner fans need to get the bad taste out of their mouths. God forbid next year's starter gets hurt, and Alex is forced to play. Once again, the old "oline cant play", "no continuity with OC", "Gruden wont tailor the playbook to Alex's strengths", etc. topics will re-emerge.

Time to cut our losses. He had his chances. Regardless of the circumstances, he did not live up to them.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

The Plan SHOULD be:

Wait..

The problem isnt necessarily keeping Smith. It's the baggage that comes with him. The guy has broken a lot of hearts in Ninerland. Even if we could keep him as a backup, everytime he miscues he'll be booed and the general consensus in Ninerland will be, "same old Alex". He's image in San Fran is irreparable at this point.

Both sides need a break from each other. Alex needs to go else where and start fresh, and Niner fans need to get the bad taste out of their mouths. God forbid next year's starter gets hurt, and Alex is forced to play. Once again, the old "oline cant play", "no continuity with OC", "Gruden wont tailor the playbook to Alex's strengths", etc. topics will re-emerge.

Time to cut our losses. He had his chances. Regardless of the circumstances, he did not live up to them.

Agreed i could see Alex beeing signed to a backup job in Indy.

We need a fresh start with a new QB, a rooke how can step up an perform from day one, something like Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, heĀ“ll make mistakes a every rookie will make yet he will not be utterly disfunctional.
  • dj43

The Plan SHOULD be:

Wait..

For better or for worse, the best the 49ers could hope for next season would be that Jed would hire Gruden, or someone with a similar offensive pedigree, and get it done immediately after the season is over. That person could then talk to Alex and convince him that there will be an actual 2011 NFL offensive scheme in place that would allow players to take advantage of their skill set instead of some archaic mindset that has been dead for 20 years, and consequently Smith would have a chance to actually play in a decent system.

While I do not believe that will happen, it would allow the 49ers to have a starter in place that can run things until a rookie develops. I don't want to see another Rattay for five games and then a raw rookie begins on-the-field training.

As to an FA coming in that will be measurably better than Smith, that will not happen. Even a cursory look at starting QBs around the league will quickly reveal that there are 3 classes; some very good ones who will not be available at any price, some who are definitely worse than Smith, and about a dozen who are just like Alex Smith but wearing a different jersey right now.

In all my years of watching NFL football, I have never seen a year so marked by poor quality QB play, and it isn't getting any better. Hence, the best thing that can happen for the 49ers is that Smith gets healthy and can play again before the season is over.

We will know about that when the X-rays and MRI are completed. He will have to be healthy enough to at least hand off with both hands. Unfortunately, in order for a shoulder separation to heal properly, it needs to be immobilized, or at least in a limited range of motion for a period of time. With this OL playing as poorly as it is, Smith would be a fool to come back and attempt to play before his shoulder is fully healed. If he comes back early and re-injures it, he will have less value in FA after this season. Therefore it is in his best interest not to waste his body on an offense that is dragging a pre-historic offensive philosophy around by the neck.
its a non throwing shoulder he shouldnt be out long we need to let nate davis play he outplayed alex and carr in preseason and is the better qb period he has strongest arm and he is mobile we need that because offensive line pass blocking sucks
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
its a non throwing shoulder he shouldnt be out long we need to let nate davis play he outplayed alex and carr in preseason and is the better qb period he has strongest arm and he is mobile we need that because offensive line pass blocking sucks

I don't care who plays QB for these clowns the rest of the year, but Davis does have the strongest arm, and might make the O fun to watch at least.

For those who are praying that Alex is not re-signed for next year, you can take it to the bank that will be the case. Why? Because the Yorks have a long, dependable history of making dumb decisions. Hence, they will get rid of Alex and the team will struggle even worse. But the haters will be happy.

The biggest problem I see with the haters is that they have no understanding of the inter-relatedness between a QB's performance and the performance of the other ten guys on offense. Anyone focusing on the game will have seen that most - not all, but most - problems on offense were caused by sub-par OL or receiver play. "Oh, but Rodgers would be lights out," some of you would cry. Yeh, sure. Look at how Rodgers has been playing the last few weeks. Explain that to us.
  • dj43
Originally posted by excelsior:
For those who are praying that Alex is not re-signed for next year, you can take it to the bank that will be the case. Why? Because the Yorks have a long, dependable history of making dumb decisions. Hence, they will get rid of Alex and the team will struggle even worse. But the haters will be happy.

The biggest problem I see with the haters is that they have no understanding of the inter-relatedness between a QB's performance and the performance of the other ten guys on offense. Anyone focusing on the game will have seen that most - not all, but most - problems on offense were caused by sub-par OL or receiver play. "Oh, but Rodgers would be lights out," some of you would cry. Yeh, sure. Look at how Rodgers has been playing the last few weeks. Explain that to us.

eh, OK.

Alex Smith 9 INTs.

Aaron Rodgers.............9 INTs.

Oops.
  • Jiks

Alex will go to a better team, with a better foundation. Even if it's as backup IMO. Why would he want to stay here?
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
F*CK Alice Smith the season is over so WHO GIVE A FLYING F*CK weather he'll be back or not

SEASON IS OVER N HIS CAREER ALSO
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by dj43:

eh, OK.

Alex Smith 9 INTs.

Aaron Rodgers.............9 INTs.

Oops.

hahahaha. pwnr.
Share 49ersWebzone