LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Good God we got Dumbass coaches

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I agree. He just tried to make a play.

he already did make the play. Part of making plays is knowing when you already have.

He was setting up blockers to try to gain more yardage. Happens all the time on returns. He could have held the ball better. But he didn't. So that's over now. A DB is always going to go as far as they can. They don't want to go down before they have to. And he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head so he'd be unaware of the traffic behind him.
Originally posted by rlott42:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/07/10/49ers-Notebook-Johnson-Wants-to-See-Big-/landing.html?full_args=10/07/10/49ers-Notebook-Johnson-Wants-to-See-Big-/landing&blockID=326697&feedID=5936

No Second-Guessing Clements: Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said cornerback Nate Clements did the right thing on Sunday when he picked off a Matt Ryan pass against the Falcons.

"Got an opportunity, go score," Manusky said. "Why not? I would."

Clements was stripped of the ball, the Falcons retained possession and marched down the field for the winning field goal on the final play of the game.

"Did he want to fumble the ball? No," Manusky said. "He tried to make a play. The more players on your team that try to make plays, the better off you're going to be."

Read more: 49ers Notebook: Johnson Wants to See Big Plays
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

***REALLY!!!!!!!!!!! are you seriously condoning this type of stupidity? coach your players to win the game! no he should not have tried to score, you go down and win the game! FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Or go down and let the offense run out the clock and win the game.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
he scores, you guys would still be slobbering all over Nates nuts. Hind sight is always 20/20. I was screaming for him to get down too, but understand why he did what he did.
They're being put on display for the wrong reasons at college campuses... awesome...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/10/07/football-101-at-northwestern-dont-do-what-the-49ers-did/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read)
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Relax guys, it will be all over in 3 months.
Originally posted by danimal:
I agree. He just tried to make a play.

he already did make the play. Part of making plays is knowing when you already have.

He was setting up blockers to try to gain more yardage. Happens all the time on returns. He could have held the ball better. But he didn't. So that's over now. A DB is always going to go as far as they can. They don't want to go down before they have to. And he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head so he'd be unaware of the traffic behind him.

In other words you are telling me that is too much to ask for to ask the DB's to know the time, score and timeout situation pre snap, so you already have it in your head that you should just go down. And further, you are telling me that the coaches should not be expect to bark out said reminders pre snap????

The interception in of itself was as close to a death knell as you can have without being a death knell. Translation...you go down and put a WORLD OF PRESSURE on your opponent.

DUH.

This is an easy call. Nate is a dumbass and Manusky may be even dumber

PS, you don't actually need eyes in the back of your head to know somebody is there. You just picked off an actual person, by picking off the football you did not make that person magically disappear. Oh and that person is somewhat faster than you are, or are we forgiving Nate for not remembering the game against the Falcons a mere year ago also.....evidently we are.

[ Edited by danimal on Oct 7, 2010 at 16:44:15 ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
typical f**kin Niner Talk. you chastise Alex for not taking chances with the ball and then come back and chastise Nate for doing the opposite. that's the only DUMB thing in this thread, OP.

of course Manusky is going to say this and i wholeheartedly agree with his explanation.

"He tried to make a play. The more players on your team that try to make plays, the better off you're going to be."

and there was too much time left on the clock with ATL still holding 3 timeouts.

Niner Talk at it's finest.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
typical f**kin Niner Talk. you chastise Alex for not taking chances with the ball and then come back and chastise Nate for doing the opposite. that's the only DUMB thing in this thread, OP.

of course Manusky is going to say this and i wholeheartedly agree with his explanation.

"He tried to make a play. The more players on your team that try to make plays, the better off you're going to be."

and there was too much time left on the clock with ATL still holding 3 timeouts.

Exactly! The only thing Nate was guilty of was not tucking the ball. He played his ass off in that game, making all kinds of plays and his run D. was outstanding. If anyone should be blamed is...drum roll please...Mr. Bust himself. Alex Smith gave the other team 6 points and if not for our defense in that game, it could have been a lot worse.

[ Edited by obx49 on Oct 7, 2010 at 16:46:58 ]
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

Remember to try not insult individuals on the board
"Have an opportunity? Despite the fact that the risk of doing so means losing the game? Take it! I would."

That's all I hear, and it's terrifying to hear that.

Originally posted by rlott42:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/07/10/49ers-Notebook-Johnson-Wants-to-See-Big-/landing.html?full_args=10/07/10/49ers-Notebook-Johnson-Wants-to-See-Big-/landing&blockID=326697&feedID=5936

No Second-Guessing Clements: Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said cornerback Nate Clements did the right thing on Sunday when he picked off a Matt Ryan pass against the Falcons.

"Got an opportunity, go score," Manusky said. "Why not? I would."

Clements was stripped of the ball, the Falcons retained possession and marched down the field for the winning field goal on the final play of the game.

"Did he want to fumble the ball? No," Manusky said. "He tried to make a play. The more players on your team that try to make plays, the better off you're going to be."

Read more: 49ers Notebook: Johnson Wants to See Big Plays
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

***REALLY!!!!!!!!!!! are you seriously condoning this type of stupidity? coach your players to win the game! no he should not have tried to score, you go down and win the game! FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, we want you to make a play. That's great, you made a play. Now get the f**k on the ground.

Nate knows he blew it for us. Its all good now, but I take like he knows because he didn't speak to reporters after the game and left immediately,
Originally posted by thojess:
I just don't get why the f**k he decided to jog at about the 20 instead of sprinting.

THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly. He slowed down to hide behind blockers. What for? Sprint to the end zone and go around Matt Ryan, you don't need two blockers to avoid a QB.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

let's say he went down. niners ball with 1:33 on the clock. first down, gore up the middle, 2 yrds, 1:27 on clock, atlanta time out #1. second down, gore up the middle 2yrds, 1:20 on the clock, atlanta time out #2. third down, gore up the middle 2yrds, 1:15 on the clock, atlanta time out #3. punt to end zone, 1:08 on clock. Atlanta ball at 20 yrd line, 1:08 in game, NO timeouts.

Dont you think our defense stops them? they cant throw up the middle of field, defend the sidelines? better situation than after Nate fumbles and they have 3 timeouts, forcing us to defend the whole field?

that was worst case, best case, Gore gets us a first down, GAME OVER.

either scenario, odds are we win.
Of all people, shouldn't a cornerback understand the idea of being stripped from behind?

You not very smart, Nate Clements. Represent the Bucks better!

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 7, 2010 at 18:11:28 ]
Share 49ersWebzone