LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

The defense is the weakness.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Yetiman:
According to Sando (with information from ESPN stats) the 49ers defense is ranked 16th in rushing (out of the 32 teams), 20th in pass defense, and 26th in points allowed per game.

They have some work to do.

No question! And I love this statement:

Singletary said. "You're only as good as your pass rush."

Interesting given our starting OLB's in a 3-4 can't pass rush and we don't use the MIKE/TED mcuh in blitzing and more often then not, ask our OLB's to cover 20 yards down the field. Didn't we cut Briggs too? We've had the same starting OLB's for years and years now and continue to play zero premium on pass rushers from the 4 LB positions...IN A 3-4!

Good call NC. I was laughing my ass when I read that quote form Sing.

"You're only as good as your pass rush." If he really believed that we'd see Laboy and Brooks getting way more playing time than Lawson and Brooks.

Goo Lord, as always Alex (and Gore) will be the talk of the town after the loss last night but the defense flat sucked it up again (save for Smith who generally only shows up on televised games at home). Franklin's been toast all year, Smith has been up and down, Sopoaga has been consistent and as a result, Willis has not been free to flow and is still terrible in coverage (he got lucky the FB dropped the ball that was in his hands), Spikes played his best game of the year, Lawson made the first play of his career last night (sack/forced fumble) but then as always, was there but couldn't make the play = TD on another, Brooks was rarely used, LaBoy continues to play consistently, we continued to be abused in the coverage in the middle of the field (see Goldson/Mays as well) and Spencer got pwned badly on a few plays and Clements was solid and Brown continues to get pwned...by a practice squad player.

Same exact issues...when we cause a TO (see Mays) we can't even recover it. We can't get off the field esp. on 3rd downs = long TOP for their offense. Absolutely OWNED in the middle of the field, no pass rush at all (there were times Kolb had days to survey the field), and as always, when the game is on the line, we can't stop anyone (see late FG). The "stop" at the end of the game was more of THEIR RB diving on the ground short of a first (he had the first down to ice the game).

The biggest issue? Manusky! Again, every week, this guy learns NOTHING esp. from the week before. We were essesntially playing a 3rd string offense with all the injuries they had. Did you see Manusky call overload blitzes on the left OT who was showing a major weakness? Nope...instead, we went with the same base prevent defense where our OLB's are covering 20 yards down the field, our CB's are playing 30 yards off the WR's as are our LB's and therefore on a 3rd and 18, a tard like Kolb can "scramble" for an easy first down right down the middle of the field. 3rd and 15? We give up 13 and luck out on a missed FG. Manusky is the the defensive version of Raye these days. Terrible!

pretty much agreed
I think Taylors gonna be good though. Obv hes a rook and is gonna make mistakes but I like what I see.
MODS: ADD THIS TO THE OFFICIAL DEFENSE THREAD PLEASE
Share 49ersWebzone