LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

The defense is the weakness.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Interesting Greg...ironically, you seem to set up the opposition for this same mentality esp. when the game is on the line.

MB:
Greg Manusky said he agreed with Nate Clements decision to try to score a touchdown after his late-game interception Sunday. "Go score," Manusky said. "You've got the opportunity - go score. Why not? I would."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/johnson-niners.html#ixzz11husdbLR

Way to reinforce DUMB plays by your vetersn players esp. when the exact same scenario happened last year...that's just Bly being Bly! That's just Greg being Greg = Fail x2!

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 7, 2010 at 13:43:31 ]
Originally posted by Yetiman:
According to Sando (with information from ESPN stats) the 49ers defense is ranked 16th in rushing (out of the 32 teams), 20th in pass defense, and 26th in points allowed per game.

They have some work to do.

No question! And I love this statement:

Singletary said. "You're only as good as your pass rush."

Interesting given our starting OLB's in a 3-4 can't pass rush and we don't use the MIKE/TED mcuh in blitzing and more often then not, ask our OLB's to cover 20 yards down the field. Didn't we cut Briggs too? We've had the same starting OLB's for years and years now and continue to play zero premium on pass rushers from the 4 LB positions...IN A 3-4!
7 INTs and 10 fumbles don't matter.

I think 4 of those 10 were lost. Do muffed punts count as fumbles?

So, 4 games and 11 to 12 lost balls to the oppositions defense.
Originally posted by Joecool:

poor coaching.
Originally posted by backontop:

poor coaching.

Really?

We have a good team. The players need to hold onto the ball or not throw it to the other team. The same coaches as last year that finished 8-8. What's the difference, turnovers.

poor coaching.

Really?

We have a good team. The players need to hold onto the ball or not throw it to the other team. The same coaches as last year that finished 8-8. What's the difference, turnovers.

And that falls on coaching. The coaches need to "coach" the players on how to hold on to the damn ball.

poor coaching.

Really?

And that falls on coaching. The coaches need to "coach" the players on how to hold on to the damn ball.

Too bad they can't hold their hand while on the field. I guess you missed the fumble practice video of Spencer nailing Brooks.

Don't ignore the 7 INTs.

poor coaching.

Really?

Too bad they can't hold their hand while on the field. I guess you missed the fumble practice video of Spencer nailing Brooks.

Don't ignore the 7 INTs.

The INT's come down to 2 things, Smith not being a dumb ass and Crabtree actually catching the ball.

Let's see, Gore used to have a big fumbling problem. I wonder what happened with that! I am pretty sure the coaches emphasized ball security and utilized drills with Gore to work on it. Singletary just says "don't do that anymore, ok?"

poor coaching.

Really?

Don't ignore the 7 INTs.

The INT's come down to 2 things, Smith not being a dumb ass and Crabtree actually catching the ball.

Let's see, Gore used to have a big fumbling problem. I wonder what happened with that! I am pretty sure the coaches emphasized ball security and utilized drills with Gore to work on it. Singletary just says "don't do that anymore, ok?"

Gore has already put the ball on the ground at least once. Fortunately, we recovered it.

I'm not saying we suck or the coaching sucks. Aside from a few bad throws, we have run into some major bad luck and trying too hard to win or score resulting in the fumbles.
You might be correct in saying defense is the weakness, but you fail to consider the importance of offensive success as it relates to defensive success. You cannot have a failed offense and expect a defense to operate independently and successfully. It just doesn't happen. I call it the intangibles of execution. The intangible I am referring to is MOMENTUM. So, please, think critically (not the same as criticize).

poor coaching.

Really?

Don't ignore the 7 INTs.

Gore has already put the ball on the ground at least once. Fortunately, we recovered it.

I'm not saying we suck or the coaching sucks. Aside from a few bad throws, we have run into some major bad luck and trying too hard to win or score resulting in the fumbles.

Gore-1 Fumble>>> Walker- every time he touches the ball.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
You might be correct in saying defense is the weakness, but you fail to consider the importance of offensive success as it relates to defensive success. You cannot have a failed offense and expect a defense to operate independently and successfully. It just doesn't happen. I call it the intangibles of execution. The intangible I am referring to is MOMENTUM. So, please, think critically (not the same as criticize).

But Pittsburgh...oh wait...their offense doesn't turn the ball over.

You look at teams that win and you will see they are in the + on turnovers.

Turnovers are huge.
Originally posted by NCommand:
According to Sando (with information from ESPN stats) the 49ers defense is ranked 16th in rushing (out of the 32 teams), 20th in pass defense, and 26th in points allowed per game.

Interesting given our starting OLB's in a 3-4 can't pass rush and we don't use the MIKE/TED mcuh in blitzing and more often then not, ask our OLB's to cover 20 yards down the field. Didn't we cut Briggs too? We've had the same starting OLB's for years and years now and continue to play zero premium on pass rushers from the 4 LB positions...IN A 3-4!

Good call NC. I was laughing my ass when I read that quote form Sing.

"You're only as good as your pass rush." If he really believed that we'd see Laboy and Brooks getting way more playing time than Lawson and Brooks.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good call NC. I was laughing my ass when I read that quote form Sing.

"You're only as good as your pass rush." If he really believed that we'd see Laboy and Brooks getting way more playing time than Lawson and Brooks.

Goo Lord, as always Alex (and Gore) will be the talk of the town after the loss last night but the defense flat sucked it up again (save for Smith who generally only shows up on televised games at home). Franklin's been toast all year, Smith has been up and down, Sopoaga has been consistent and as a result, Willis has not been free to flow and is still terrible in coverage (he got lucky the FB dropped the ball that was in his hands), Spikes played his best game of the year, Lawson made the first play of his career last night (sack/forced fumble) but then as always, was there but couldn't make the play = TD on another, Brooks was rarely used, LaBoy continues to play consistently, we continued to be abused in the coverage in the middle of the field (see Goldson/Mays as well) and Spencer got pwned badly on a few plays and Clements was solid and Brown continues to get pwned...by a practice squad player.

Same exact issues...when we cause a TO (see Mays) we can't even recover it. We can't get off the field esp. on 3rd downs = long TOP for their offense. Absolutely OWNED in the middle of the field, no pass rush at all (there were times Kolb had days to survey the field), and as always, when the game is on the line, we can't stop anyone (see late FG). The "stop" at the end of the game was more of THEIR RB diving on the ground short of a first (he had the first down to ice the game).

The biggest issue? Manusky! Again, every week, this guy learns NOTHING esp. from the week before. We were essesntially playing a 3rd string offense with all the injuries they had. Did you see Manusky call overload blitzes on the left OT who was showing a major weakness? Nope...instead, we went with the same base prevent defense where our OLB's are covering 20 yards down the field, our CB's are playing 30 yards off the WR's as are our LB's and therefore on a 3rd and 18, a tard like Kolb can "scramble" for an easy first down right down the middle of the field. 3rd and 15? We give up 13 and luck out on a missed FG. Manusky is the the defensive version of Raye these days. Terrible!
Was the defense great. Hell no. Is the defense the biggest problem. Hell no. We had four turnovers and the eagles still only scored 24 points. Our problems are fumbles and interceptions and mostly interceptions. Two things make that happen...sub-par QB and poor coaching...poor coaching on defense too.
Share 49ersWebzone