There are 154 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Philladelphia Eagles)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Summary?

Coach Sing says he thinks we're a better team than what we are showing, but in the end we're 0-5.
He also says he was ready to pull Smith out of the game but from what I understand kept him in the game because Smith was fired up and didn't want to be taken out.

Smith says fans had the right to boo. He said if he was a fan, he'd boo too.
Smith says about the fumble play that he was trying to do too much. All in all a boneheaded play.

Both Smith and coach Sing looked pissed. They both also would not say to the reporters what was said in the heated debate on the sidelines after Smith's fumble.

All said and done, I give it up for Alex Smith. The dude had ice in his veins tonight. He basically said "f**k you" to a fan base that has absolutely ripped him an undeserving a*****e. Maybe I get flamed for saying that, but god damn. He was a MAN tonight. I know for a fact I would have been crushed by that booing, by the constant HORRIBLE joke of an O-Line we had, and most importantly -- the JOKE of a coaching staff that I had to answer to even though I knew it meant nothing positive. What a disheartening place to be at in a sport you have loved and played your entire life. Alex, f**k man -- do the damn thing.

See thats the problem.

Tonight.. after 6 years of being in the league. And the thing is we've seen this on multiple occasions

Seattle game in 06

the 2-1 start

the texans and saints game

Dudes never consistent, its just time to part ways
Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Alex Smith and Mike Singletary met again after the 49ers' fifth consecutive loss to start a season. It's a season that began with such high expectations, and now ranks as the franchise's worst start since 1979.

Presumably, the Singletary-Smith meeting was a little more civil than the one that took place on the sideline at Candlestick Park more than an hour earlier.

"It's kind of a blur," Smith said. "We weren't seeing eye-to-eye the whole time. But it's kind of between us."

Singletary, the coach, benched his struggling quarterback. Then, shortly after backup quarterback David Carr took the field while a national TV audience was watching commercials, Smith replaced Carr in the 49ers' huddle.

In between, there was a shouting match on the sideline in which Smith convinced Singletary he deserved another chance.

"I wanted to see what his response would be," Singletary said of his decision to inform Smith he was being benched.

"A quarterback that has anything in him is going to have something to say about that."

Smith led the 49ers down the field for consecutive touchdown drives in the fourth quarter. But he was hit while throwing in the closing minute, and his fluttering pass was intercepted.

And that's the way it ended: Philadelphia Eagles 27, 49ers 24.

And, now, anything can happen.

The head coach's job status is tenuous, as is the 49ers' starting quarterback. The offensive coordinator, Jimmy Raye, was fired after a third consecutive loss.

Are more changes needed?

"Who knows?" Smith said. "Right now, obviously, we're 0-5. What we're doing is not working."

The 49ers are three games behind the Arizona Cardinals, who have won the NFC West two straight seasons. When asked if he might make a change at quarterback before the 49ers' game Sunday against the Raiders, Singletary said, "It's possible."

But after meeting with Singletary -- and "going through the game" -- Smith said he expected to remain as the 49ers' starter.

"Until they tell me I'm not," Smith said, "absolutely."

Smith completed completed 25 of 39 passes for 309 yards with three touchdowns -- two after he returned from his benching -- and two interceptions.

He also had a fumble in which he lost control of the ball before he could throw it away to avoid a sack. Safety Quintin Mikell returned the fumble 52 yards for a touchdown that gave the Eagles a 24-10 lead early in the fourth quarter.

After a three-and-out, the boos rained down on Smith unlike anything he has ever experienced from the home fans since he was selected with the No. 1 overall pick in 2005.

"They're sports fans," Smith said. "We're 0-5. I'd be pretty frustrated, I'd be pretty pissed off, too. I was. I was frustrated myself. I don't think you can boo yourself, though. We're better than that. We're all better than that."

And that certainly includes running back Frank Gore, who lost two fumbles in the game and rushed for just 52 yards on 18 carries.

"I didn't really want David (Carr) to come in," Gore said, "not for any reason but I wanted Alex to stick it out. I knew he would keep fighting. I feel like I didn't give him (Smith) any help."

Read more: Maiocco: Meeting Follows Singletary-Smith Shouting Match
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Link
Summary?

Coach Sing says he thinks we're a better team than what we are showing, but in the end we're 0-5.
He also says he was ready to pull Smith out of the game but from what I understand kept him in the game because Smith was fired up and didn't want to be taken out.

Smith says about the fumble play that he was trying to do too much. All in all a boneheaded play.

Both Smith and coach Sing looked pissed. They both also would not say to the reporters what was said in the heated debate on the sidelines after Smith's fumble.

All said and done, I give it up for Alex Smith. The dude had ice in his veins tonight. He basically said "f**k you" to a fan base that has absolutely ripped him an undeserving a*****e. Maybe I get flamed for saying that, but god damn. He was a MAN tonight. I know for a fact I would have been crushed by that booing, by the constant HORRIBLE joke of an O-Line we had, and most importantly -- the JOKE of a coaching staff that I had to answer to even though I knew it meant nothing positive. What a disheartening place to be at in a sport you have loved and played your entire life. Alex, f**k man -- do the damn thing.

Smith is a multi-millionnare for playing a game! And not playing it well may I add. He chocked on the series after the fumble which continued the boos. He convinced Sing to not take him out and threw another interception on a game wining drive. He brought the team back, but no matter what objective measurement you use; he is not that good and lost again.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Summary?

Smith is a multi-millionnare for playing a game! And not playing it well may I add. He chocked on the series after the fumble which continued the boos. He convinced Sing to not take him out and threw another interception on a game wining drive. He brought the team back, but no matter what objective measurement you use; he is not that good and lost again.

Did you watch those 3 TD scoring drives? Smith looked flat out amazing. His problem? He's inconsistent. And that's a big problem.

In my opinion, Smith has until the bye, 3 more games, to get his consistency fixed. My only worry is he'll be playing scrubs so his stats might be inflated some. But it's a start.

5 games down. 11 to go.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
I do RESPECT the fact that Alex took on the question of booing honestly. He said "Ive been a fan before they are frustrated, I was frustrated. They spend their hard earned money and Id be pissed off too If I was them." He is a class act BUT idk man SF is just not the place for him to be a starter QB maybe on a better team he can be successful one day but good luck alex showed heart and Balls today just we need wins and now.
Originally posted by highwayone:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
I want this nightmare to end.

It's like Nolan got fired, then I woke up and realized I was only dreaming. NOLAN NEVER GOT FIRED! He's still here with us in Dinglenuts.

PLEASE FIRE HIM NOW and you better hire an Offensive minded coach this time, Jerk York.

lol
Originally posted by Axl49:
I do RESPECT the fact that Alex took on the question of booing honestly. He said "Ive been a fan before they are frustrated, I was frustrated. They spend their hard earned money and Id be pissed off too If I was them." He is a class act BUT idk man SF is just not the place for him to be a starter QB maybe on a better team he can be successful one day but good luck alex showed heart and Balls today just we need wins and now.

Agree nothing matters in the end but the W.
Originally posted by rawdel:
Look on the bright side, Crabtree had his first 100yd game...

and yet you still have a disgruntled smilie
Originally posted by Chief:
Yes, and people blame the defense.

lol i know.

Because just like Steve Young said, our team was built around the defense. A defense to hold our opponents to 14, 17 or 21 points tops. We're not the Colts, or Pats where we'll throw the ball all over the park and score in bunches. Teams are set-up different ways. Ours is around the D and our D is getting beat.

Originally posted by rawdel:

Because just like Steve Young said, our team was built around the defense. A defense to hold our opponents to 14, 17 or 21 points tops. We're not the Colts, or Pats where we'll throw the ball all over the park and score in bunches. Teams are set-up different ways. Ours is around the D and our D is getting beat.

Did you expect less?
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
when did a missed field goal equal a turnover?

I guess it's kinda like a turnover on downs?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Adman:
Frank Gore fumbles 2 times. Once in Eagles territory.

Alex Smith throws 2 interceptions. One from midfield, one on last drive.

Joe Nedney misses a short field goal. (We lost by 3 by the way)

Alex Smith fumbles the ball. It was returned for a touchdown.

Why do we need to be losing to start playing well?
Why do we not hurry up on offense when there is 4 minutes left and we are down 10?

I don't understand why Smith's passer rating was ~ 93 despite his highly erratic play today. I guess that fumble for a TD didn't play into the stats. Neither did him checking down when WR's were wide open down the field
Originally posted by malcolmx:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Remember when Hill said "don't take me out", he won the game...

Smith tried this and failed, cut him already....

Here is another example of the cockroaches in the fanbase.

Brother malcom, lets not go there.
Share 49ersWebzone