LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
As of right now our defense is ranked #10, 11th against the pass, but 20th against the run ----- > .
The defense played really shaky the first half against the Raiders. If it was any other team it would had been 14-0 easy. They did tighten it up in the second half but I have no confidence in this defense. Maybe they are top 10 statistically but they don't play like it.
luckily our defense was playing against campbell and that raiders offense. i have no faith in this d
We should get better stats after next week. Carolina is abysmal on offense.
I want to know if it is now legal to hold Justin Smith on every play. Seriously, is that guy going to get any calls?
Damn! Did you see that! Bush was running strong against us all game, then Goldson came in and popped him so hard he was out for a few plays.

After that hit, Bush wasn't the same.
  • dj43
One thing that was very disturbing at the beginning of the game was the fact the front 7 were not getting off their blocks well at all. They need to improve on that. Oakland's OL is not THAT strong.

Eventually they did improve but the make the Oakland OL look better than it should.
Originally posted by dj43:
One thing that was very disturbing at the beginning of the game was the fact the front 7 were not getting off their blocks well at all. They need to improve on that. Oakland's OL is not THAT strong.

Eventually they did improve but the make the Oakland OL look better than it should.

More had to do with Campbell turning 3 nothings into somethings. If Campbell doesn't avoid pressure and make a nice play, we stop them, easily.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

More had to do with Campbell turning 3 nothings into somethings. If Campbell doesn't avoid pressure and make a nice play, we stop them, easily.

That was true on passing plays but the running plays were the thing I noticed most often. I was also late getting home for the game and heard Gary Plummer making the same comment.

That was true on passing plays but the running plays were the thing I noticed most often. I was also late getting home for the game and heard Gary Plummer making the same comment.

Eh, that was only 1.5 drives. Once Bush got laid out, it was all changed.

• dj43

Not to nitpick but it was the third Oakland possession that Franklin and Sop began to get off blocks and things tightened down.

Smith came around on the second drive but he was asleep on that first drive. He got caught twice that I recall.

Not to nitpick but it was the third Oakland possession that Franklin and Sop began to get off blocks and things tightened down.

Smith came around on the second drive but he was asleep on that first drive. He got caught twice that I recall.

Actually, I think we are both underestimating our defense's play. Here's Bush's run totals in those first 2 drives.

1st series
0 yards
0 yards

2nd series:
4 yards
2 yards (big hit injured)
2 yards
3 yards

I think their drives had more to do with Jason Campbell and some short (escape) passes that went for more yards than anything.

Sheesh, even their QB made more plays under probably worse pressure early in that game.
The defense isn't the problem.

The defense has actually kept the 49ers in games but its the offense that continues to let the team down.

Look at the halftime scores of the first 6 games:
14-6 Sea
9-7 NO
10-3 KC
14-10 ATL (niners leading here)
17-10 PHI
6-3 OAK

In each game the defense has kept the 49ers within one score. Seattle should have been blown out in the 1st quarter had the offense converted the 3 straight red zone possessions. Dumb turnovers, INTs, and fumbles by the offense also contribute to the offense's failures to help out the defense.

The 49ers have only 4 TDs in the 1st half of games and one of them came on Taylor Mays blocked punt TD recovery.

This defense is not good enough to play 4 quarters of shut down football like they did against the Raiders and frankly they shouldn't be required too.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
The defense isn't the problem.

The defense has actually kept the 49ers in games but its the offense that continues to let the team down.

Look at the halftime scores of the first 6 games:
14-6 Sea
9-7 NO
10-3 KC
14-10 ATL (niners leading here)
17-10 PHI
6-3 OAK

In each game the defense has kept the 49ers within one score. Seattle should have been blown out in the 1st quarter had the offense converted the 3 straight red zone possessions. Dumb turnovers, INTs, and fumbles by the offense also contribute to the offense's failures to help out the defense.

The 49ers have only 4 TDs in the 1st half of games and one of them came on Taylor Mays blocked punt TD recovery.

This defense is not good enough to play 4 quarters of shut down football like they did against the Raiders and frankly they shouldn't be required too.

We don't beat a better team with our punts this past Sunday.

Offensive turnovers kill a defense in the long run. We finally didn't turn the ball over. Offense pretty much played the same with two big TDs in the second half but they didn't lose it this time.

[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 18, 2010 at 15:09:23 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Defense has been pretty awesome overall. Just need to wrap up on those sacks. Seems like the QB always manages to squirm away and throw a dump off pass.
Share 49ersWebzone