LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Crabtree drops a ton of passes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
why the hate on crabtree? not even vernon has had a good year receiving... hell only josh morgan has.... its our offense not our players.
Gwen Knapp's column in today's Chron (not online) suggests (not suggests -- advocates for would be better) that Crabtree should be benched and Ziegler should be elevated to the starting role.

I don't agree with her position. I do agree that Crabtree is a DIVA in the Terrible Owens mold. Of that there's no doubt. But I also think he's the most talented wide receiver we've had on the roster since T.O. and Rice. He's shown flashes of that open field -- after the catch -- running ability in the first three games.

But -- since our QB can't hit the broad side of a barn consistently with passes thrown more than ten yards downfield -- Crabs isn't targeted all that often.

A good QB will get Crabs the ball. A good QB will get the ball to Morgan, VD, Ziegler and Gore consistently on long, short and medium passes.

No -- benching Crabtree does not improve this team. Benching Smith brings an immediate upgrade.

And no -- just in case you're interested -- I'm not talking Carr either. Our best QB is sitting on the practice squad. That kid can wing it downfield and he's not afraid to take chances.
Well Sunday at the Chiefs game, Alex knew where he was supposed to be, the opposing cornerback knew where he was supposed to be. Only Crabtree didn't know where he was supposed to be. The Chiefs knew all our plays by our formations and were calling them out before the snap. The Chiefs learned our plays in a week and Crabtree doesn't know them after all of training camp and 2 games??? Prob why Davis tore into him.............
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Faceless:
why the hate on crabtree? not even vernon has had a good year receiving... hell only josh morgan has.... its our offense not our players.

Fans are angry right now. Im angry, I gotta assume you are as well. Anger clouds judgment however & fans tend to just point fingers & place blame.
Crabtree has definitely taken a step backwards. He look poor or bad on all of the interceptions that went his way.

Crabtree usually does not get much separation. Some analysts and journalists have begun to wonder about him.

Dez Bryant looks explosive! Crabtree never looks explosive.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Gwen Knapp's column in today's Chron (not online) suggests (not suggests -- advocates for would be better) that Crabtree should be benched and Ziegler should be elevated to the starting role.

I don't agree with her position. I do agree that Crabtree is a DIVA in the Terrible Owens mold. Of that there's no doubt. But I also think he's the most talented wide receiver we've had on the roster since T.O. and Rice. He's shown flashes of that open field -- after the catch -- running ability in the first three games.

But -- since our QB can't hit the broad side of a barn consistently with passes thrown more than ten yards downfield -- Crabs isn't targeted all that often.

A good QB will get Crabs the ball. A good QB will get the ball to Morgan, VD, Ziegler and Gore consistently on long, short and medium passes.

No -- benching Crabtree does not improve this team. Benching Smith brings an immediate upgrade.

And no -- just in case you're interested -- I'm not talking Carr either. Our best QB is sitting on the practice squad. That kid can wing it downfield and he's not afraid to take chances.

I agree with Knapp. Crab isn't going for balls he could catch and playing at 110% effort level. There have been atleast 3 balls he should've/could've caught that he doesn't. The drop in Seattle that led to the pick. A ball that went about 20 yards and hit him right in the hands vs NO that bounced off his hands as he was on his knees before that for some reason. And the slant in Seattle where he stopped on the route and that ball was perfectly placed. He's also had some catches he could've maybe made and didn't really go for them like the deep ball on the sidelines where it was like 6 inches away from his fingers. Zeigler caught a pretty similar ball in that same game for 19 yards. Zeigler also made a spectacular high catch off a bad throw from Smith where he got flipped over in the air and came down with the ball. Right now Zeig is taller, more explosive, and has better hands, and he fights for the ball more. He's also more sound as far as where he's supposed to go and getting there.

I'm not saying Smith is great but Crabs has 6 catches and has been targeted atleast 10 times total, with 4 of them going for INTs. Morgan has 10 catches catches and I'm not sure whether even 1 ball targeted for him has been picked off. Zeigler has 5 catches(almost as many as Crab) and none of those balls has been picked off. Crab isn't doing what he needs to do right now, more Zeig and if Crab keeps messing up bench his ass.
god u guys are so overreacting to every game its sad. crabtree looked awesome last year, if your gonna throw him under the bus this year then add smith, vd, gore, and everyone else. crabtree is hardly being targeted.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Why does all the blame need to go to one person all the time? This is a team sport.
Crabtree looks a bit lost on some plays and Smith makes bad throws on others. That said, the two seemed to work together just fine last season.

This game is way too complex for an outside observer to diagnose a problem like this. We would have to know every responsibility of every player on every play. We just can't say for sure who is at fault. Even people who are very close to the situation (beat writers, etc.) can't say for sure what's going on. They have to guess just like we do. Granted, some have posted some very educated guesses.

Let's see what happens now that we have a new OC. Who knows, maybe an answer will become obvious.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
god u guys are so overreacting to every game its sad. crabtree looked awesome last year, if your gonna throw him under the bus this year then add smith, vd, gore, and everyone else. crabtree is hardly being targeted.

Hell...if this season bombs, then BLOW THE WHOLE THING UP! (1/2 SERIOUS)
No offense to the poster of this thread, but I don't understand how my thread on the Yorks gets locked and this doesnt. I posted a legitament thread on the Yorks that should be open to discussion and allow people to comment on how they think this organization could be improved, but it gets locked. Then this very intellectual thread about Crabtree not being very good afterall is fine and dandy. Is John York the moderator of this forum?

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
No offense to the poster of this thread, but I don't understand how my thread on the Yorks gets locked and this doesnt. I posted a legitament thread on the Yorks that should be open to discussion and allow people to comment on how they think this organization could be improved, but it gets locked. Then this very intellectual thread about Crabtree not being very good afterall is fine and dandy. Is John York the moderator of this forum?

The work of the Mods is like the work of the Gods -- and should not be questioned. They have the power to

Therefore -- we give them the proper respect they deserve
Originally posted by swim4speed:
Crabtree has definitely taken a step backwards. He look poor or bad on all of the interceptions that went his way.

Crabtree usually does not get much separation. Some analysts and journalists have begun to wonder about him.

Dez Bryant looks explosive! Crabtree never looks explosive.

Crabtree looked awfully explosive against the Cardinals last year and in the fourth quarter against the Saints this year. The problem is he seems to be a rhythm receiver and gets better as he gets more passes. It is now Mike Johnson and Alex Smith's job to find a way to get him involved early and often.
Originally posted by Paintrain:
Well Sunday at the Chiefs game, Alex knew where he was supposed to be, the opposing cornerback knew where he was supposed to be. Only Crabtree didn't know where he was supposed to be. The Chiefs knew all our plays by our formations and were calling them out before the snap. The Chiefs learned our plays in a week and Crabtree doesn't know them after all of training camp and 2 games??? Prob why Davis tore into him.............

That was exactly the same thing that Clements did to Hasselback in our game against SEA. It was a great defensive play first(for jumping the route), QB second(for not making a good read), WR third(for not attempting to break it up). It just goes to show that Smith usually is fixed on his target before the snap.
Originally posted by JoeO321:
Is this guy even good? He drops a ton of passes and looks nothing more than a below average nfl wr. he is a bust right now with people like nicks, maclin, and bryant actually doing something for their teams
Is crabtree even on the team? lol. Smith does not like throwing to him. but from what i see when Crabtree gets the ball hes electrifying.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

I seem to remember the Knock on Davis being that he didn't know the playbook. Sorry...that's a deal breaker. Not to mention that he didn't look all that great when he wasn't playing #3s.
Share 49ersWebzone