There are 160 users in the forums

As owner, how would you fix the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigwads:
1. Hire Mike Holmgren as GM
2. Hire John Gruden as HC...fire Singletary
3. Hire Wade Phillips as DC...fire Manusky
4. Find an experienced west coast QB that can run Gruden's offense.

1. Mike Holmgren is currently employed as President of the Cleveland Browns.
2. Jon Gruden is required to finish this season with ESPN. He's still getting paid by the Buccaneers through 2011.
3. Wade Phillips is currently employed as the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
4. Who?
Originally posted by boast:

Gruden and Phillips?!?!

You guys are right. A superbowl winner and a DC that is awesome...Phillips is in the same category as Norv Turner...great coordinators and horrible head coaches.

I will tell you that Cowher is the most overrated HC of all time.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Gruden and Phillips?!?!

You guys are right. A superbowl winner and a DC that is awesome...Phillips is in the same category as Norv Turner...great coordinators and horrible head coaches.

c'mon now. Gruden won the Super Bowl with a great Bucs team built by Tony Dungy against the Raiders. the team he coached and wrote the offensive playbook the year before. he was the luckiest SB winning HC in history.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
A lot of people here make suggestions on actions that need to taken to make the team better, but just how would you do it if you actually owned the team? I would do several things, which may seem obvious to some, but I would try to use my business background and not get blinded by my desires as a fan.

1. Fire Singletary regardless of how this season ends. In order, to change my mind he would need a miraculous turn around. By that I am not talking record wise, I mean attitude wise. He has shown to the world he does not know how to coach and is overrated as a motivator.
2. Hire a GM, I would have to rely on contacts from around the league for possible up and coming personnel that may be ready and capable of performing the job, this hiring would have a lot to do with their philosophies. I dont necesarily believe you need to have held a similar position to know what you are doing. And I certainly dont believe that throwing money at the problem fixes it. The GM would be in charge of contracts, trades and signings.
3. Hire a coach, this will be the GM's job, but I would be closely involved in it. Again I dont believe to need to overspend. There are a lot of several capable coordinators and college coaches capable of this job.
Again, football philosophy, implementation, people skills, etc are all part of the package that needs to be evaluated.
4. Get closer to players. Make them realize they are not employees but business partners and better we do as a team, the better it will be for all.
5. Give back to the fans. This would be a work in progress.
6. Push for a new stadium. Need to make the football game an experience, think Yankees Stadium to a lesser scale.

This is just an overview, definitely there would be a lot more to it.

I ask, How would you fix it?

Or, just fire the owner and get an owner or owners who would make it all happen.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Quote:

And Cowher is another "delegator" type coach like Singletary. I live in Pittsburgh, and hear it all the time from the fans here. So if we get Cowher, how we do will depend greatly on the coordinators we have, because Cowher knows crap about Xs and Os.

When Cowher left, most fans were not concerned because they knew that the team was really run by the coordinators....especially the defense which is completely Dick LeBeau's deal. He is completely left alone to do what he wants on D by Tomlin now, and by Cowher before.

Basically the Rooney's pay LeBeau very well, and give him little reason to want to jump ship. Also LeBeau is one of those guys who's just happy being a DC and doesn't really care about being an HC.

[ Edited by kray28 on Oct 13, 2010 at 14:44:11 ]

Gruden and Phillips?!?!

c'mon now. Gruden won the Super Bowl with a great Bucs team built by Tony Dungy against the Raiders. the team he coached and wrote the offensive playbook the year before. he was the luckiest SB winning HC in history.

Luckiest? I think you are confusing Gruden with Cowher.

The point is to get a west coast HC, I don't really care about Gruden per se as much as I would like a west coast head coach.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I hear Jeff Garcia is a available. Gruden liked him a lot.

Gruden is horrible in finding QBs.

Rich Gannon worked out pretty well during Gruden's tenure.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I want the WCO back. I never really cared before this season but to me it's now obvious it belongs in San Fran.

Gruden sucks. I live in Tampa and was here all while he took Dungy's team to the SB and beat the team whose play book he had in his cell phone. But once that happened the Bucs slowly went to sh*t and he got fired.

I really wish the Harbough guy from Standford would leave and bring Luck with him but it won't happen. We need an offensive HC who runs the WCO and a new fresh QB who doesn't have the baggage Smith has. I think we're good then.
Originally posted by Antix:
I want the WCO back. I never really cared before this season but to me it's now obvious it belongs in San Fran.

Gruden sucks. I live in Tampa and was here all while he took Dungy's team to the SB and beat the team whose play book he had in his cell phone. But once that happened the Bucs slowly went to sh*t and he got fired.

I really wish the Harbough guy from Standford would leave and bring Luck with him but it won't happen. We need an offensive HC who runs the WCO and a new fresh QB who doesn't have the baggage Smith has. I think we're good then.

I like Harbaugh a lot but I am a little skiddish about bringing in another Ditka coached Chicago Bear.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
why does every one want the WCO back? it hasn't been that successful of late. the last WCO to win the Super Bowl was Gruden's Bucs. everyone knows it was actually the D and Gruden's knowledge of every play the Raiders were going to run that really won that SB.

• kray28
  • Veteran
The problem with the WCO idea is that we don't really have the personnel to run it well.

1. You need a QB with good footwork and developed sense of timing with his receivers.

2. You need bigger receivers who can make plays for you after the catch.

3. You need a versatile back who can run and catch equally well.

4. You need smaller and more athletic linemen.

We are just not built optimally to do all these.

We'll need to also find a good veteran WCO QB out there in free agency, and frankly I don't really see one at the moment.
Man, as much as I hate to even think it, let alone say it, looking at our personnel, I'd have to say Jimmy Johnson might be the best option for coach next year. I think we did pretty well in our draft this year so "maybe" we can get by w/o a GM.

But Jimmy fits the mold of the players we already have. Big boys up front, high draft picks, maulers, etc. He can bring out their "attitudes." We have the dynamic receiver in Crabtree, Dixon looks promising, even Alex is somewhat in the cerebral realm as Aikman.

The biggest thing he would bring is credibility AND accountability. The crap we continue to put up with would have guys with pink slips on Monday morning. Period. He's also a very good psychologist which bodes well for a young team. He's also been around the league long enough to network well and bring in some real coordinators and position coaches.

A couple weeks ago he mentioned that we were built to win one way and one way only and he was dead on. We are not equipped to win any other way and obviously, we don't. I think he would see the talent on this team, bring that accountability and get this team on the right track. I truly do.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
If I was owner.....

1st and foremost. Meet with Bill Cowher and see if his heart is into coaching. Ask him How he would fix the team or what he sees wrong with the team. If I like what I hear I make him an offer he can't refuse. Then I get him what he needs/asks for and get the hell out of the way.
I'd fire myself from any football operations except getting a new stadium deal and hand it off to someone with experience..
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

a picture is worth more than 1000 words, thanks
Share 49ersWebzone