LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

As owner, how would you fix the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Jerry Jones was getting ready to fire Wade if he had went 0-3 today, so it all depends upon how much balls Jed has.

Wade Phillips has been on the hot seat since he was hired, big deal.
Jed needs to step up and do something so that we know he isn't as useless as his old man was
have a mtg. 1st thing back to San Jose and give these clowns two more weeks to turn it around against two very good teams (Atl & Phil)

if they fail to turn it around -- possible -- fire all of them
  • 9r4lf
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They wouldn't hire idiots like Singletary and Jimmy Raye. And if they did they wouldn't stick with it...

At the time, Sing was a good hire. And Raye is just a puppet of Sing...that's it.
Originally posted by znk916:
Jed needs to step up and do something so that we know he isn't as useless as his old man was

1) He is just as useless as his old man.
2) His old man still runs things. He is just the front man "faceman." Because people are sick of seeing the elder York.
3) Why did anybody expect anything to change with the Yorks?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Realistically?

Nothing.

Yeah....there's no quick fixes to the status quo.

They could start planning for a regime change now though....start talking to some potential candidates and let them know that the interest is out there.

But when you look at how much the team's marketing has focused around the Singletary gimmicks, you can't just reverse course and throw it all away after a couple of horrendous game performances.
Originally posted by jones49:
Fire Singletary and promote Raye to HC. Then keep Raye as far away from the offensive playbook as possible.

HAHAHA.....Uhhh no. that would be horrrrrible. That is a funny statement to think about it. Raye could bring back Hostler to run the offense again.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:

Jed is not the owner of the 49ers. He holds the titleship of "President". The real owners are his mother and father.

Which brings up the root of the ownership problem....Jed has no real autonomy and hence no real power.

Singletary is probably quite aware that his contract status basically makes him "fire proof" at the moment, as the Yorks would be loath to cut him a check for most of his outstanding contract value if they decide to terminate his contract.
Even though our team's sucked for 2 of their 3 games, we still have to look at the situation realistically. There are 13 more games to go...replacing Singletary with anothr head coach would be difficult insofar as the new HC would most likely have to keep the current coord's. Manusky uncharacteristically laid a stink bomb of a defense. Most of us in this forum already think Raye should be replaced...but it appears he and Singletary are a packaged deal. Say Jed fires MS by mid-season...he could bring in a Gruden or Marty Schottenheimer. Both of them would want to bring in their own coord's, which would be very tough in mid-season, both on the new coaching staff and the current players. Agree things have to change, but availability of top coaches/coord's at this time of the season is slim to none.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Even though our team's sucked for 2 of their 3 games, we still have to look at the situation realistically. There are 13 more games to go...replacing Singletary with anothr head coach would be difficult insofar as the new HC would most likely have to keep the current coord's. Manusky uncharacteristically laid a stink bomb of a defense. Most of us in this forum already think Raye should be replaced...but it appears he and Singletary are a packaged deal. Say Jed fires MS by mid-season...he could bring in a Gruden or Marty Schottenheimer. Both of them would want to bring in their own coord's, which would be very tough in mid-season, both on the new coaching staff and the current players. Agree things have to change, but availability of top coaches/coord's at this time of the season is slim to none.

Yeah, but if you just cant let the season go to waste either. Replacing coaches this early may kill your season but will prepare the team better for next years. Short term pain for long term gain.

• KID9R
  • Veteran
They shouldn't fire Sing until the season is over, the worst thing this team did was go on a meaningless winning streak with Sing as the intern as he won over the locker room and Jed was pretty much forced to hire him. How good would McNabb and Shanahan look this year with us. Sing is living off his name more than any HOF 'r EVER. He is a joke. With him on the sidelines I know we'll get outcoached in every game.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Agree, there's no way to replace enough of the coaches to save this season and be effective. If they fired MS, there isn't a competent enough assistant to promote to HC.

The best case scenario would be for Sing to demote Jimmy Ray to a offennsive consultant position and let someone else make the calls.

Singletary needs time to review the game film because he's clueless about the offensive and dfensive playcalling. There's a reason why he's never been a DC and has been assistant head coach or LB coach.
A lot of people here make suggestions on actions that need to taken to make the team better, but just how would you do it if you actually owned the team? I would do several things, which may seem obvious to some, but I would try to use my business background and not get blinded by my desires as a fan.

1. Fire Singletary regardless of how this season ends. In order, to change my mind he would need a miraculous turn around. By that I am not talking record wise, I mean attitude wise. He has shown to the world he does not know how to coach and is overrated as a motivator.
2. Hire a GM, I would have to rely on contacts from around the league for possible up and coming personnel that may be ready and capable of performing the job, this hiring would have a lot to do with their philosophies. I dont necesarily believe you need to have held a similar position to know what you are doing. And I certainly dont believe that throwing money at the problem fixes it. The GM would be in charge of contracts, trades and signings.
3. Hire a coach, this will be the GM's job, but I would be closely involved in it. Again I dont believe to need to overspend. There are a lot of several capable coordinators and college coaches capable of this job.
Again, football philosophy, implementation, people skills, etc are all part of the package that needs to be evaluated.
4. Get closer to players. Make them realize they are not employees but business partners and better we do as a team, the better it will be for all.
5. Give back to the fans. This would be a work in progress.
6. Push for a new stadium. Need to make the football game an experience, think Yankees Stadium to a lesser scale.

This is just an overview, definitely there would be a lot more to it.

I ask, How would you fix it?
  • ZRF80
we are on a string of rookie or lesser experienced HC's. That should end.

Next HC should be 45+ years old with 5+ years experience as a previous HC in the NFL
Share 49ersWebzone