LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by Five4Five:
Holy sh*t, people are actually giving him D's in here. I am now convinced that there are people in here rooting for Alex to fail. I can't even fathom how anyone can give him a lower than a B-.

He showed good pocket presence, was making good intermediate and short range throws (other than his bad pass to Gore), led the team on a 4th quarter game-tying drive and conversion while calling his own plays, showed excellent mobility, and took what the D gave him and basically carved them up all night. I would give him a B+. I haven't felt this hopeful about him since the Thursday night game in Seattle back in 2006.

Welcome to the zone.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Holy sh*t, people are actually giving him D's in here. I am now convinced that there are people in here rooting for Alex to fail. I can't even fathom how anyone can give him a lower than a B-.

He showed good pocket presence, was making good intermediate and short range throws (other than his bad pass to Gore), led the team on a 4th quarter game-tying drive and conversion while calling his own plays, showed excellent mobility, and took what the D gave him and basically carved them up all night. I would give him a B+. I haven't felt this hopeful about him since the Thursday night game in Seattle back in 2006.

Welcome to the zone.

There are lots of fools on this site. I could swear some of these whiteboys on this site think Alex Smith is black. Maybe thats where all the hatred comes from.
Originally posted by nyc49erking:

Welcome to the zone.

There are lots of fools on this site. I could swear some of these whiteboys on this site think Alex Smith is black. Maybe thats where all the hatred comes from.

Welcome to the zone.

Yeah thats its
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Welcome to the zone.

Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick and Ryan
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

I could give a Rat's furry ass about the other guys Danimal. I would still give Alex the A based on what he did all game long.

Without that pesky Delay of Game penalty brought about by Davis's loss of focus Alex would have once again carved up the Saints like a turkey.

ANd this is not Homerism on my part. This is Smith not doing this before over a whole game and imho, it was indeed worthy of an A. Since there is no -/+ grade in the options then I gotta give him an A. If there were I would take into consideration the 2 turnovers and downgrade for them even though in this case shat happens and give him an A- overall. Since there isn't, anything less than an A is not indicative of what he did on the field.

~Ceadder

Not giving a Rats furry ass about how well your competitors do is EXACTLY how you get on a 7 year playoff drought.

So maybe you should start caring

I edited my original post and now listed 13 QB's who played better than Alex last week, at least debatably or statistically speaking. And 10 of those guys won their games.

Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world. There are, were and will be better options for the Niners. That is if you can let go. Which the Niners can't, and some fans can't. Which is why they deserve to lose.

The goal is to outplay those other guys you don't give a rats furry ass about.

Bravo!!!

But you also can't just look strictly at stats and put things in context also. Frank Gore was having a monster game so we really didn't need or ask Alex to go and have a huge passing day.

So in the context of our offense and what it asks him to do I give him a A-/B+. He had that one bad throw that lead to a pick but other than that he played his role in the offense very well.

Had command of the offense, was accurate, poised in the pocket, gave the team a chance to win with a late 4th quarter drive, kept the chains moving, and overall looked like an NFL QB out there.

I mean he didn't throw for 300+ yards and 3 TDs but on the flip side we didn't ask him too either so I can't really fault him for not putting up those kind of numbers.

But this is one game and we'll see how he does next week.
A -.

He had one legit "bad pass" all night. The other was an extraordinary tip at the line by the Saints player. Even the announcers said there wasn't much he could do about that. He was super poised, mostly very accuarate and very clutch in the end when it mattered the most. If we can stop fumbling inside the red zone and punts and snapping over the head for safety's we can win a lot of games with Alex performaning like tonight.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 21, 2010 at 12:45:41 ]
Wow, Brees sucked on the longer passes and was always throwing too far to the receivers' inside.

Anyway, I was hoping Alex would throw his helmet after one of the picks. We finally saw some anger in the kid more than just slapping his hands together.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick and Ryan
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

I could give a Rat's furry ass about the other guys Danimal. I would still give Alex the A based on what he did all game long.

Without that pesky Delay of Game penalty brought about by Davis's loss of focus Alex would have once again carved up the Saints like a turkey.

ANd this is not Homerism on my part. This is Smith not doing this before over a whole game and imho, it was indeed worthy of an A. Since there is no -/+ grade in the options then I gotta give him an A. If there were I would take into consideration the 2 turnovers and downgrade for them even though in this case shat happens and give him an A- overall. Since there isn't, anything less than an A is not indicative of what he did on the field.

~Ceadder

Not giving a Rats furry ass about how well your competitors do is EXACTLY how you get on a 7 year playoff drought.

So maybe you should start caring

I edited my original post and now listed 13 QB's who played better than Alex last week, at least debatably or statistically speaking. And 10 of those guys won their games.

Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world. There are, were and will be better options for the Niners. That is if you can let go. Which the Niners can't, and some fans can't. Which is why they deserve to lose.

The goal is to outplay those other guys you don't give a rats furry ass about.

Bravo!!!

But you also can't just look strictly at stats and put things in context also. Frank Gore was having a monster game so we really didn't need or ask Alex to go and have a huge passing day.

So in the context of our offense and what it asks him to do I give him a A-/B+. He had that one bad throw that lead to a pick but other than that he played his role in the offense very well.

Had command of the offense, was accurate, poised in the pocket, gave the team a chance to win with a late 4th quarter drive, kept the chains moving, and overall looked like an NFL QB out there.

I mean he didn't throw for 300+ yards and 3 TDs but on the flip side we didn't ask him too either so I can't really fault him for not putting up those kind of numbers.

But this is one game and we'll see how he does next week.

I'll give him an A when he's asked to put up that type of performance and delivers. I'm not giving him credit for what he didn't do just because he wasn't asked. With all things taken in perspective, I'll give him a B. And I'll be happy with that level of play every week. I'm just holding my A for better weeks. Yesterday's performance has lead me to believe better weeks are now possible.
Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world.

This may very well be true. Unfortunately, I wonder if the same could be said of you.

I say this primarly because you seem to (in my mind) have a very unrealistic concept of what it means to make "accurate" throws. Alex will throw a ball that requires a receiver to make a minor adjustment and there are some on this board that will jump all over him for his lack of accuracy. You'll no doubt find a video of a pass from Peyton Manning that was thrown right on the money, hitting the receiver in stride and point to it as what Alex is lacking.

But if you watch the rest of the QBs in the nfl on a weekly basis - those "perfect" passes are very few and far between. Most of the best QBs in the game are considered accurate when they allow a receiver to make a play on the ball. Often, those QBs are even bailed out of poorly thrown passes by excellent receivers. Alex threw his share of "perfect" passes last night. He also threw very few innacurate ones.

Take Drew Brees this week for instance. Alex threw the ball with as much or more accuracy than Drew. Take any of those QBs you listed and watch each pass and you'll find the same.

I think that perhaps the real problem is that Alex will never be as good as Joe or Steve, not how he does or doesn't stack up with the rest of the league.

Peter King was impressed by Alex. Take it for what it's worth-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/21/Week2/index.html
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by boast:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

Alexcuses, Alexcuses is all here for this loser of a QB we have.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Ever ask yourself how come stuff like this always happens to Alex.

troll much?

Closing in on 17,000 x's

Why am I a troll because I think Smith sucks ?

cuz your posts suck

Its not posts that you guys hate, its my opinion because it doesn't agree with yours.

its not even that, its the fact that you go into every thread and post about how much Alex sucks and yadda yadda. I know you do it just to rile people up which you have said before but still

I believe thats called trolling.

How is it trolling, this thread was about grading Smith's performance.

I gave the guy a fair grade, I gave him a C. It was definitely not a A or B performance.

Some people just get their feeling hurts because they have a man crush on him.

A C is average. He had 2 int's but led us on 3 scoring drives and 22 points, tiled the game with 1 min to go. He was on his way to another scoring drive when Walker fumbled. If those 2 short runs for TD's were short TD passes from Alex, his numbers would look better with 3td's and 2 int's. It was better than average showing by smith, he had us tied with the Champs with 1 min to go.

I agree with all that you are saying but the two Int's knocked down his grade from a B to a C.

Thats fine, but I can't give a C to a guy who was clearly playing above average ball last night. A guy that responded after every mistake, either his own mistakes, or someone else making a mistake. He took the team and drove down field after every mistake.

So whats your grade for him ?

B, if he had only 1 int, I would give him an A.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Peter King was impressed by Alex. Take it for what it's worth-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/21/Week2/index.html

EAST COAST BIAS
There isnt a knowledgeable football person alive that would rate Smith's performance below a B. He showed poise, used his feet to get key yards and first downs, threw his passes with accuracy (except for 1 pass) in very tough wind conditions, and lead his team to a scoring TD in the final 2 minutes without any time outs. All this against the defending SB champs that had shutdown the Vikes the week before. He looked just as good last night as probably the best QB in football.

Alex Smith wont get my seal of approval until he does this consistently but for 1 game there is no way he can be ripped unless its just pure hatred for the past.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by boast:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

Alexcuses, Alexcuses is all here for this loser of a QB we have.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Ever ask yourself how come stuff like this always happens to Alex.

Hell No. The Alex supporters are famous for only wanting to argue individual plays. The concept of an accumulation of these debatable fiascoes equaling something goes over their head.

Yes and they also want to completely forget about the negative plays or find some other factors to blame them on.

I could just imagine news headline.

"Alex Smith stabs a man to death"

Alex lover's reactions:

He ran into Alex's knife.

He was blocked into Alex's knife.

The man deserved it.

Its so funny that its sad.

I'm a huge Smith critic as well, but he played well yesterday. He threw two costly picks...but for the first time in my life, I think I'm gonna give him a break on one of the interceptions (second one).

Yeah, just a good play by the D. If susweel had a clue, he'd know that on a 3 step drop quick slant, the ball is coming out low, hard, and fast. They're prone to getting knocked down.
Share 49ersWebzone